MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Project 365

Andrea

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/1/13 Pomelo

1/2/13 Random kind of citrus, probably a satsuma or a satsuma's daughter.

1/3/13 Random kind of citrus, same as yesterday.

1/4/13 A measly little excuse for a sweet potato.

1/5 Two different sweet citrus and "lemonade" from limequat tree

1/6 "lemonade" and fish from county-owned land just across the property line

1/7 "lemonade" and cookies with zest from my trees

1/8 "lemonade"

1/1/13 - mandarin oranges

1/2/13 - mandarin oranges

1/3/13 - mandarins, soup with New Zealand Spinach, celery, & cilantro (not listing ingredients I didn't grow!)

1/4/13 - orange & Jerusalem artichoke & potato soup with fresh garlic chives. (I didn't grow the potatoes)

1/5/13 - orange, leftover soup, made a new soup with jerusalem artichokes, cilantro, new zealand spinach, bay leaf, & dehydrated tomatoes among other things I didn't grow!

1/6/13 - citrus & soup & a salad from home grown lettuce & fresh sprouts for dinner
1/7/13 - same as yesterday plus I whipped up a new batch of potato & jerusalem artichoke soup.
1/8/13 - soup & salad with sprouts & sliced ja. I took a day off from the citrus!

January 1: bell pepper

January 2: bell pepper

January 3: 2 eggs ( used to make scrambled eggs)

January 4: 2 eggs, 1 bell pepper

January 5: 2 eggs, 1 chili pepper (last one...had to pull up hot weather plants because we ended up with 3 days of a hard freeze. Still have two pepper plants in greenhouse. We'll see what they do.)

January 6: 2 eggs

January 7: picked last bell pepper for my salad, 2 more eggs

January 8: 2 eggs, onions

Edited by dogmom4

1/3/13 - mandarins, soup with New Zealand Spinach, celery, & cilantro (not listing ingredients I didn't grow!)

1/4/13 - orange & Jerusalem artichoke & potato soup with fresh garlic chives. (I didn't grow the potatoes)

1/5/13 - orange, leftover soup, made a new soup with jerusalem artichokes, cilantro, new zealand spinach, bay leaf, & dehydrated tomatoes among other things I didn't grow!

1/6/13 - citrus & soup & a salad from home grown lettuce & fresh sprouts for dinner
1/7/13 - same as yesterday plus I whipped up a new batch of potato & jerusalem artichoke soup.
1/8/13 - soup & salad with sprouts & sliced ja. I took a day off from the citrus!
1/9/13 - ja soup.

January 5: 2 eggs, 1 chili pepper (last one...had to pull up hot weather plants because we ended up with 3 days of a hard freeze. Still have two pepper plants in greenhouse. We'll see what they do.)

January 9: 2 eggs

Edited by dogmom4

1/9/13 - ja soup.
1/10/13 - oranges, sprouts, lemon balm, chives
The more the merrier, Dogmom! LOL - one year I was making salsa in late December because my tomatoes and peppers were still producing! I ripped them all up in October this year though to make room for favas and onions.

For those who aren't able to garden year round, can you eat something with a homegrown product that you put up during the warmer months? For example, for lunch today, I had vegetable soup that I had frozen a few months back. I grew the cilantro, New Zealand spinach and the celery that went into the soup in my yard. As far as I'm concerned, that counts for my challenge! I'm also about to start dehydrating orange and lemon peels from my citrus trees to use for tea flavoring during the summer. I'm totally counting that come August when it's 5,000 degrees outside and I can't peel myself off of the couch to go pick a zucchini! Or, what about sprouting? My lettuce beds are lousy this year. I'm hoping I'll get a months worth of salad fixings out of them in the early spring but in the meantime, I'm sprouting! Who needs lettuce on a sandwich when you've got fresh grown sprouts? They were grown on my property, so I'm counting those too!

My goal is to be more mindful of what I eat and produce. I can't grow 100% of my families needs, but I can try and make us more sustainable.

Save some of those peels to make orange extrac. I zest mine when processing our oranges. Can do the same with lemons.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2175038_make-orange-extract.htmlt

The more the merrier, Dogmom! LOL - one year I was making salsa in late December because my tomatoes and peppers were still producing! I ripped them all up in October this year though to make room for favas and onions.

For those who aren't able to garden year round, can you eat something with a homegrown product that you put up during the warmer months? For example, for lunch today, I had vegetable soup that I had frozen a few months back. I grew the cilantro, New Zealand spinach and the celery that went into the soup in my yard. As far as I'm concerned, that counts for my challenge! I'm also about to start dehydrating orange and lemon peels from my citrus trees to use for tea flavoring during the summer. I'm totally counting that come August when it's 5,000 degrees outside and I can't peel myself off of the couch to go pick a zucchini! Or, what about sprouting? My lettuce beds are lousy this year. I'm hoping I'll get a months worth of salad fixings out of them in the early spring but in the meantime, I'm sprouting! Who needs lettuce on a sandwich when you've got fresh grown sprouts? They were grown on my property, so I'm counting those too!

My goal is to be more mindful of what I eat and produce. I can't grow 100% of my families needs, but I can try and make us more sustainable.

Save some of that orange peel to make orange extract. I zest mine when processing our oranges. I do the same with lemons.

I'm also about to start dehydrating orange and lemon peels from my citrus trees to use for tea flavoring during the summer.

Thanks CoM! I never thought of that! I'm making a lemon balm tincture for the first time, I hadn't thought about orange extract. Guess it's back to the store for more vodka! I will often dehydrate the peels for tea use during the summer months, but other than composting, that's about all I've ever done with the peels.

Thanks!

1/9/13 - ja soup.
1/11/13 - juiced some beet greens, citrus, celery leaves along with some store bought produce. pretty good!

January 10: 2 eggs, onions being cooked with beans for refried beans

Edited by dogmom4

1/9/13 - ja soup.
1/11/13 - juiced some beet greens, citrus, celery leaves along with some store bought produce. pretty good!
1/12/13 - fresh squeezed orange juice - sooooo good! for dinner it's looking like a big salad with sprouts, ja's, and who knows what else!

1/9/13 - ja soup.
1/12/13 - fresh squeezed orange juice - sooooo good! for dinner it's looking like a big salad with sprouts, ja's, and who knows what else!
1/13/13 - fresh squeezed oj, sprouts

January 11: 2 eggs

January 12: 2 eggs

January 13: 2 eggs

Edited by dogmom4

1/9/13 - ja soup.
1/14/13 - sprouts & oj

January 14: 2 eggs, sage

Edited by dogmom4

1/9/13 - ja soup.
1/14/13 - sprouts & oj
1/15/13 - an orange
1/16/13 - oj, lemon balm tea, sprouts in my salad

1/9/13 - ja soup.
1/14/13 - sprouts & oj
1/15/13 - an orange
1/17/13 - oranges
I'll be offline the next two days so I won't be able to post. But, I've got lemon balm tea and oranges packed and ready to go with me!

January 15: 2 eggs, fresh rosemary

January 16: 2 eggs

January 17: 2 eggs

Edited by dogmom4

January 18: 2 eggs

January 19: 2 eggs, 1 chili pepper, 1 small bell pepper

Edited by dogmom4

1/9/13 - ja soup.
1/14/13 - sprouts & oj
1/15/13 - an orange
1/17/13 - oranges
1/18/13 - an orange
1/1913 - two oranges
I've been out of town with dd for honor band. Today is the last day. I can't wait to get back to regularly scheduled meals and big fresh salads!

January 18: 2 eggs

January 19: 2 eggs, 1 chili pepper, 1 small bell pepper

January 20: 2 eggs

Edited by dogmom4

Great Idea!

Now seeing we are zone 6 I can't do what you are doing but we 'try' and eat things from the garden every day as well. During the gardening season that easy and we can a tone so we can use that during the winter and use something just about every day. Some things in the freeze help fill out meats too. Now I am one that likes to keep things growing as soon as possible and as long as possible - even leaving things in the ground that don't seem to do well in our root cellar/ storage area? Just this past week I went out and got a cabbage to make stir fry with and the other part made Cole-slaw. Put a carrot - shaved some -added to Cole-slaw and some for tossed salad rest went into homemade soup. Pulled 2 beets to cook for Supper and I still have some herbs growing under the snow that I use now and then.

Even found a few onions I missed now that the snow has melded - But I have most things covered with hay so things are doing fine but a cover of snow would be better.

So in a way I too am eating from the garden everyday - thanks for showing me that.