MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Guerilla Gardening

I know there are a couple of threads on stealth gardening around the forum but this article has a different slant that could be useful in urban areas right now.

I found the article at Seasoned Citizen Prepper... http://seasonedcitizenprepper.com/turning-a-subversive-hobby-into-a-survival-advantage/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SeasonedCitizenPrepper+%28Seasoned+Citizen+Prepper%29

Turning a Subversive Hobby into a Survival Advantage

By Wyzyrd Editor-at-Large.

If you are at all into gardening, you have probably heard something about the Guerilla

phenomenon, where folks transform ugly, abandoned patches of ground into wildflower mini-gardens, using only some terra cotta clay from a hobby store, an old cheese grater, some dried compost or earthworm castings, or other organic fertilizer (I suspect Miracle-Gro, or something similar would work as well), a little water and some native wildflower seeds into seedballs/seedbombs/seed grenades, and pitching them over fences and such into unused pieces of land, based on the pioneering agricultural work of the Japanese farmer/philosopher, Masanobu Fukuoka. The grenades start to fall apart after the first rainstorm, and plant themselves.

There are better descriptions of building your own seedballs than I could write at:

http://seedball.com

Why stop with wildflowers? Consider some open-pollinated vegetable and herb seeds in the same usage. Why stop with your own land?

obvious open spots, to plant yourself some self-seeding backup crops? Toss some grenades and make yourself a map, in case you want or need to go harvest your backup crop.

back and look at your handiwork, as well :)

This could be especially-valuable if you are stuck in a suburban area.

backyard garden might become a target for raiding by hungry neighbors, but some random plants in an undeveloped area are not likely to attract much attention. Not that I have a low opinion of most peoples knowledge, but your average urban/suburban individual wouldnt know a radish or bell pepper plant from poison oak, and probably wouldnt even think to look, because it wasnt on something close to a grocery

Im by no means an expert, but Id suggest a mix of some of the following seeds:

Perennial White Clover (tossed with the appropriate bacterial inoculant)

Will make your plot look more untended and will fix nitrogen from the air into the soil for years plant your own fertilizer.

Radishes the first vegetable that comes up in the Spring, and if you let it go to seed, it generates an unbelievable bulk of green compostable material.

A few different leaf lettuces tasty, nutritious, and since its not a head of iceberg, easily ignored by other hungry humans could be some random weed.

Onions you can eat the sprouts, let them go to seed and bulb, and they will overwinter well. Chives are not a bad idea, either.

Your favorite herbs basil, thyme, oregano, parsley, etc. the thyme and oregano will spread and maybe become invasive if youre eating it, not really a problem.

(Some) squash seed not many, be careful. Theyll shade out other plants, and a 50 lb. Zucchini in September may not be the tastiest thing you ever ate, but it sure beats eating nothing.

(Very few) tomatoes and bell peppers. Pick ugly heirloom varieties. Perfect-looking bright red fruit could attract unwanted attention.

Get open-pollinated, non-hybrid, non-GMO seed.

recommend Nichols Garden Nursery http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com -

company, just have been a happy customer for over 30 years. A VERY strict no-GMO policy, and all hybrids are clearly marked.

For more information about Fukuoka-san, and his farming methods, start at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka

I know that his book The One Straw Revolution had a great effect on my views on the natural/spiritual aspects of growing my own food, even if no longer that applicable to growing my own in a suburban townhouse.

Season Citizen Prepper is a great site! When I saw this article, I thought how great it would be for planting "hidey hole" vegetables. My only concern is that the produce would get eaten by animals and birds. It would be wonderful for tossing around in the woods of state parks etc., but again, the produce would probably just be fodder for deer, squirrels, raccoons and possums. Just thinking out loud here.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How about planting patches of 'wild' herbs for remedies...that way you already know where they are if you need them! I already started last season in the untended fringe areas of my cities' parks

• 6 months later...

:runcirclsmiley2: Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! SHE GOT ME TO LOOK....... :blink:

You realize that the top of the Rockies is worse than "Siberia" don't you? We don't get enough hours of sunshine...tho what we get IS quite potent. :sigh:

:ph34r: ...reaffirming ....I'm not looking .....UNTIL AFTER WE MOVE SOMEWHERE....

MtRider ...got it bookmarked tho :buttercup:

• 2 weeks later...

I am making arangements to visit another prepper friend near me who has acres of land and is an active forager, to collect seeds, cuttings, and root slips for transplanting into both my yard's wild plant border area (designated for perennial, wild forage plants as I remove the inedible jungle of growth that is there now) and to sneak into the cities parks' wild patches.

I was pleased to find the ultra-thorn laden raspberries in my wild patch (excellent anti-personnel bushes!) are indeed wild black raspberries. Not much fruit, and small, but the flavor is incredible!

Does anybody know if I can grow elderberries from cuttings? My brother has some I could take cuttings from, and it would sure be nice in the 'wild border'...especially to replace the buck-thorne bushes there now!

Edited by kappydell

In my area, root cuttings of elderberries grow very, very well. Better than figs, even. Find a baby plant near the parent and chop the connecting root. Come back a week or two later, after the baby has multiplied its own roots, and dig the baby. Or just pull several shoots until you find three or four with root clusters on them...they grow well unless you let them dry out.

• 2 weeks later...

That is good tidings for my 'wild' garden border! Bro says the first elderberries (the earlier one) is ripening now...so I will probably have to wait until next spring, but that is OK with me!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

in spring of 2013 i planted some jerusalem artichokes in my 'wild border' of the yard. around here they grow wild in some places, but I wanted something folks would not readily recognize as food (leastways not my urban neighbors). I dug some up Christmas Eve as the ground is not frozen yet this year, but we have had the requisite frost prior to harvest. Yes, they do live up to their other name ("fart-ichokes") because they contain high amts of inulin which the body has to adapt to, kinda like starting out with beans. But they are absolutely DEEEE-LI-SHUS!!!! I tried them raw, yes they do have the texture of a water chestnut, so they would add a nice crispy crunch to salads. I boiled some, they got softer than potatoes, but they tasted mild and would work well in any potato recipe. But my favorite was when I roasted some - didn't have to skin them (they are so knobby it is a pain to do so)- just cut them in half, tossed with olive oil and baked cut side down on cookie sheet at 350 until soft. Oh my! They were delicious, the skins were just enough to hold up like a baked potato skin, and the middle part was creamy-soft and delicious. They would be killer with ranch dresing sprinkled on after tossing them with oil, but they were pretty doggone good just 'plain'. I had fun dipping them in various things - sour cream, ranch dressing, miracle whip, cheese sauce....I'm glad they multiply readily, because I will be eating more of them. After all, its not just that they are tasty, but I want to get my body used to them...

"Fart-a-chokes" had to laugh kappy! We've talked about them many times but have not planted them because you can't ever get rid of them :-( After reading your post here, I'm concered about the affect they might have on insulin levels. Neither of us are diabetic but would be concerned that it might trigger it?

ooooh, yes I will have to watch for that. so far, I just have been visitied by 'flatulina' (the fart fairy). Give a whole new meaning to the nickname 'bubble-butt"...

looking back on the Elderberry posts, brother did give me a lot of elderberries (he brought over a box full of stems, after cleaning them I had several gallons of berries. I also picked more from his later ripeners...made up that elderberry schnapps, froze some and dried some.

Edited by kappydell