MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Library Books Sent To Kindle

Golly Bob Howdy Vern! What a world we are living in.

I was thinking about buying a book on Amazon. Then I thought about looking to see if my library had it first. They do but the nearest branch who has it is about 10 miles from me. Should I go over and get it or tomorrow or wait for them to deliver it to my branch up the street? I notice it says something about getting it via electronic something.

Long story short...I just borrowed it from my library for free on my Kindle. It's on there right now! Free. I'm not sure how long I can borrow it but I'm gonna start reading it now just in case. It kept saying it couldn't open but it did.

I'm easily entertained. :D

Jeepers,

???

You have me confused. Of course you can get kindle at your library.

BUT! There should be no reason to make trips to your brick-and-mortar public / semi-private library.

All libraries have electronic portals. Well, OK, any library who is part of any inter-library loan program. It is a requirement. They may not be publicly visible, but they must have them.

I process such ILL requests weekly, usually to/from the LOC. Usually, they are in PDF, LOCER, or FB formats. Usually, these are processed (transcribed/converted) by the library and then delivered to you.

But we do not 'kindle'. Sorry. I know there are conversion systems out there, but such is beyond our modest budget. We have to be selective. If I should have such a request, and I never have, I would refer it to our county library, they can do that. They would return the record, via portal, and I would then deliver it to the Patron.

The content on *publicly viewable* librum.us site is all almost all FB format student projects where they learn to make such. ICSArchive.org is almost all PDF, many are also student projects, especially the ICS materials. If one of our sponsors provided us with a good conversion package, then we could do that too. Frankly, though I do not see a need, as I understand all those tablet thingies can take PDF, and many FB. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Sarah

of the Librum

Sorry. ILL: InterLibrary Loan. LOC: Library of Congress. LOCER: Library of Congress Electronic Record (ancestor of PDF). FB: Flip Book (decendent of LOCER).

Edited by Sarah

We download our free e-books from Amazon to our free Kindle App on our desktop just because we have more room. As soon as we've finished reading something in our Kindle reader that we don't want to keep, we "remove it from the device" and then can add something more by going to Amazon's kindle page, "managing your Kindle" and "library"...you'll find everything you've ever downloaded and can then send it to your e-reader. It utilizes their massive storage instead of ours. Also, if we choose, we can read it right here on our desktop in larger print. When you're in your "managing your Kindle" area, you'll also see a place where you can add a free app to "send documents" that you've saved as PDF's to your e-reader simply by it adding it's app as a "printer" to your printer selection. Pretty nifty. I downloaded a free pdf converter so when I copy & paste any survivial articles, I can save them into my file "going to kindle" in pdf and have them also. Our local libraries mostly only recognize Adobe Digital as a download vehicle and then it's like a regular checking out, it will expire. BUT...if you find it on Amazon-Kindle, you can "loan it to a friend". Pretty nifty stuff if ya ask me!

Nifty but.... :twister3: too confusing for me. I get my Amazon FREE books nearly daily. I have no idea how to lend them to someone. Nor how to download from the state disability library. Nor... all those things. But with my THOUSAND free eBooks, I'm :happy0203::cloud9::darlenedance: anyway.

I get digital book [audio recordings] from the state disability library mailed to me free....

MtRider :reading:

Sarah, we can only download library books from our library system that are listed in 'E-book' form. There aren't a lot of them yet.

Philbe, I still need to figure out how to send my personal documents to my Kindle. I haven't tried yet only because I already have so much stuff on there I want to read and get rid of. I like to try to keep it cleaned out. Frustrated organizer here. Sigh.

Mt. Rider, I down load free books nearly everyday too. Wayyyyy to many. But this one was a book that I really wanted to read and hasn't been offered for free. So the next best thing was to check out the library. It was my first time borrowing from our system straight to a Kindle. It has to be an E-book and it was just a matter of clicking on a couple of buttons. I know nothing about computers (honestly!) and I really didn't have to figure out anything. I just clicked where it said to.

I should add you have to have a library card and we are fortunate to have a great system In fact Wiki said; "It was ranked the number one public library in the United States among libraries serving populations of more than 500,000 by the Hennen's American Public Library Ratings 2010." So that probably helps in our selection.

BTW, the book that caused all of my excitement was "Make-A-Mix" :Blushing:

Jeepers...for me, even though I can send personal docs using Kindle via Amazon, my real preference is Adobe Digital (which alot of libraries use) and it's also free. Just download it to your pc, and then I simply "import" from every document on my pc that I want to import...and there they are. I go to wherever I've saved them (id..."going to kindle" file), select them all, and then they all import in one single operation. I haven't tried to send them to my kindle using AD, but probably will give it a whirl sometime.

Well....I'm glad I didn't buy the book or even waste my gas going to the library for it. Nuff said.

I don't think there are any recipes in it I'd use. Also, it's one of those books where you really need to have the actual physical book.

It gives a 'master recipe' at the beginning of the book and then lists the recipes you can use it in with the page number. Not very Kindle friendly at all.

I'm still excited about the process though. It's all about the journey.......oooommm. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You can send a Kindle book to someone else for a loan of a couple of weeks.

1- Log in to your Amazon account

2- Return to the Amazon.com page for the book.

3- At the top of the page there is a slim yellow banner that has the date that yohu purchased the item and that you can loan it to someone else.

4- Click the link that says Loan this Book.

It takes you to a form that allows you to send it to someone else via email. They will receive information explaining how to download it.

I've seen where you can loan one of your books by:

log onto Amazon

click on manage my account

find the book you want to loan

click on the 'actions' tab to the right

click on loan this title

I've never done it but it is an option.

Jeepers,

Let me try again. There is NO reason for you to visit your brick-and-mortar library to get any electronic media.

Let me walk you through a late ILL request I recieved to see how it works here. Any books by George Herman Ruth? Yes. There were four. 'Babe Ruths Own Book of Baseball', 'A Long Fly', the autobiography, and one other. The first three are on our shelves. The requesting library gave me the contact email of the Patron, and that he was running Windows 7. So I replied direct to the Patron that 1) 'Babe Ruths Own Book of Baseball' is in the paperback shelf, and gave the link to the 'shelf'. 2) 'A Long Fly' is a FB standard, and give the link to the sixty day editon. I also noted that there is a full version available for download for a modest $5. (MUCH less than a physical ILL!) 3) The autobiography is not digitized, and in reserve status so no physical ILL was possible. If the Patron wishes an electronic edition would they mind a modest investment, approximately $40, to have the work done, and thereby support a student? The Patron grabbed the #1, downloaded the FB 60 day copy of #2, then purchased the unlimited (via public access portion of the portal), and then hosted the student to do the #3 work. The work was finished in three days, into a DRM FB edition, locked to the Patron (he paid for it!), and sent to the Patron for $32 (and may appear as a download FB).

Had the Patron not been using Windows 7, I would have forwarded the request to the Library of Virginia to do any conversions, such as to Kindle DRM.

If your library does not do kindle, have them refer to one that does. We libraries are required to have portals and to support one another. Oh, and I misstyped, add in 'using Dewey and/or OCLC'.. Any library in a ILL network >and any library using Dewey and/or OCLC< is required to portal.

OK, let me bounce this question off you folks who 'kindle'.

Kindle uses one DRM, Adobe another, etc. I think there is something like a half dozen of the DRMs.

But these DRMs are limited, intentionally made so they can be defeated/bypassed. Federal regulations require this. The exception is the FB standard, which was government created. LOCER is another, but nobody uses that text only format any more.

One can buy such crackers for little. Most libraries who do DRM have and use these crackers. One of the reasons that not all of the tablets do FB standard is that it is a true/good DRM, and they do not want that. :grinning-smiley-044: .

What is to keep you from simply cracking them for your use?

(I am wondering just what percentage of the 'freebies' are not cracked DRM.)

Ah well.

Sarah

of the Librum.

Edited by Sarah

My local library loans on the kindle for two weeks. Then it goes away and can't be re done.

Jeepers,

Let me try again. There is NO reason for you to visit your brick-and-mortar library to get any electronic media.

^SNIP^

I never went to the library. I was only going to go to the library to get the actual book. I looked up the book, from home, to see if it was available in our library system when I noticed (on my computer) that I could download it from home in an E-Book form. That's what I did Sunday night. Sorry if I confused you.

:scratchhead: ...sorry Sarah. But I still have absolutely no clue as to what your posts say. I can't even begin at a starting point of comprehension. Nor can I remember what the initials stand for. But....I've got more books than I can read now [if an EMP doesn't *poof* them away some day] and gather more every day. And I never enter a brick/mortar library either cuz, I rarely get out and don't need to waste energy/time going for physical books anymore. Electronic communications, eBooks, etc have revolutionized life for folks with mobility [and driving] disabilities, for sure!

MtRider :shrug:

Jeepers: Ah, good.

Mt_Rider: Sorry about the initials, etc. We also have disabled folks with mobility issues, so I am very sympathic.

I am glad you folks are able to get what you want/need, truely I am.

As a librarian, when I hear of somebody who can not get what they want/need, well, it hurts..

Sarah

of the Librum.