MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

US Can Kill Americans

Well this hit the news today. Was wondering what everyone thinks about it. I can understand if someone is involved with some of those groups, but isn't,t this a slippery slope to what could be done by the gov't and use that as an excuse. IDK maybe they,ve been doing it for yrs. and I was just to naive to believe it. Hope the link works, I,m on my iPad and still learning to use it.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/us-kill-americans-linked-al-qaeda-says-memo-165602731.html

US can kill Americans linked to Al Qaeda, says memo

By Indo Asian News Service | IANS India Private Limited 11 hours ago

Washington, Feb 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A confidential memo obtained by media and published Tuesday spells out the US government's legal justification for killing US citizens linked to Al Qaeda.

The memo offers a rare look at one of the most secretive policies of President Barack Obama's administration.

"The president has authority to respond to the imminent threat posed by Al Qaeda and its associated forces, arising from his constitutional responsibility to protect the country," as well as the right to national self-defence and congressional authorisation for military force against Al Qaeda, the 16-page document reads.

The memo, released publicly by NBC News, spells out three circumstances in which the US government finds just cause for the use of lethal force against its own citizens who are senior operational leaders of Al Qaeda or an associated force:

1. When "an informed, high-level official of the US government has determined that the targeted individual poses an imminent threat of violent attack against the US"

2. When capturing the individual is not feasible

3. When such action is consistent with the principles of war

The memo states that in such circumstances, the killing would be lawful under US and international law.

At least four US citizens have been killed in US drone strikes in Yemen.

Anwar al-Awlaki, a Muslim cleric born in the US, was killed by a drone strike in September, 2011, and was accused of helping an organisation, affiliated with Al Qaeda, plan attacks against the US, according to the Washington Post.

Members of Congress have long demanded documentation on the administration's policy on the use of force against its own citizens.

With confirmation hearings for Obama's nominee to head the CIA, John Brennan, scheduled for later this week and a vote pending in the Senate Armed Services Committee for Secretary of Defense-nominee Chuck Hagel, the demands took on a more urgent tone.

In a letter dated Feb 4, 11 senators asked the White House for documents that outline the president's authority to authorise the killing of American citizens.

"These legal opinions issued by the Department of Justice have remained hidden from the general public and have been withheld from members of Congress, inhibiting Congress' ability to conduct necessary oversight," they wrote.

The legal justifications are important, they said, "so that Congress and the public can decide whether this authority has been properly defined, and whether the president's power to deliberately kill American citizens is subject to appropriate limitations and safeguards".

"The idea that the president has this extraordinary power that can be utilized in secret without any oversight or accountability, I think is wrong and detrimental to the public interest," Senator Ron Wyden said in an interview, according to the Washington Post.

Jameel Jaffer, deputy legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union, called the memo "a remarkable document", that spells out "sweeping authority" with limits that are "so vague and elastic that they will be easily manipulated".

--IANS/RIA Novosti

pm/vt

I read this yesterday and was furious! What is in this that will protect Americans? Will he use this as a way to start wiping out Americans serving in war zones and claim "war related deaths?" (and that will be justified b/c we are fighting the "enemy" and everyone has casualties of war?) What will keep him from just going out and claiming some sort of "Martial Law" and start rounding Citizens up and killing them (us) with no legal standing. I think he has granted himself too much power without theh proper "checks and balances" we all learned so much about while studying History in school. I THINK HE IS ONE VERY VERY DANGEROUS MAN AND I PRAY FOR OUR COUNTRY - EVERYONE WANTED CHANGE, AND WHILE CHANGE IS GOOD THIS IS WAAYY OVER THE TOP - REMEMBER "YOU HAVE TO READ IT TO FIND OUT WHAT'S IN IT? SOME AMERICANS ARE HAPPY TO BE SHEEPLE AND BE LEAD AROUND BECAUSE THEY THINK THAT SOMEONE WILL TAKE CARE OF THEM. THEN I READ ABOUT OBAMACARE - $20,000 A YEAR FOR INSURANCE AND FINES IF YOU DON'T BUY IT? WHY BOTHER WORKING IF YOU DON'T EVEN EARN THAT MUCH MONEY? WE HAVE LOST THE WILL TO LIVE ON OUR OWN TERMS, THINK ABOUT WHAT IS BEST FOR US AS INDIVIDUALS ETC. . . BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS SAID "I'LL TAKE CARE OF YOU, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT" UNFORTUNATELY, IT MAY ALREADY BE TOO LATE! AND HE'S ONLY TAKING CARE OF HIMSELF (AND HIS ELITIST FRIENDS) NOT ANYONE ELSE!

OK, SO I WILL STEP DOWN FROM MY SOAP BOX NOW.

It has to do with the NDAA Law that was passed and signed into law . Not sure the date it was, but in the last two years. As it is certain pro level gun users/ manufacturers standing up for 2nd amdt have met with some mysterious accidents and died as a result , other than Chris Kyle who was recently shot and killed while doing a shooting desensitizing technique with some of our PTSD veterans in TX recently, the best US Seals sniper veteran who wrote American Sniper. These persons have all died in the same several days as Chris and it may not be drones but it makes you wonder when its a car accident on a federally funded highway out in the middle of nowhere and the man is not known for erratic driving and vehicle in very good condition, etc etc. I know someone else who is a prepper who was stalked by some fellow, she had documented proof he was hired by CIA as well, seriously, and she spread the word sometime ago about it.. so I wonder if the man who shot Chris Kyle was paid to do it. This whole thing is being used to be more forceful in disarming vets and I hope those who are not typically at risk are very careful when interviewed. All of these highly visible persons simply were doing their jobs and such trying to be informative and helpful and appropriate about it, or travelling between jobs and places of work. Drones can be armed, and they simply spy on stuff. What now stops the feds from labelling anyone as a threat, nothing. DHS made this clear what their policy is. All these same techniques have been used in the past history , except now drones are high tech.

I am also disgusted that drones are being sold in the toy market for kids to play with. Oh yea, get used to it.....

Also saw a facebook ad posted that was for Americorp Emergency Civilian forces . Ring a bell there? Obamycare wants its civilian army and is cutting back on our regular forces at this time. This is already in affect btw. Troop and ship deployments are being cut back phenomenally. It is definitely rocking the boat now. As for what state I live in , I am disgusted as are many of its citizens and there are legal procedures going into affect to counter what our Gov just did in the wake of Sandy Hook. I am glad I got an invite by dear friends to go to NE, at least they are exibiting common sense on 2ndt amdt issues more and more and against drones being used. I will be going there as soon as I can be.

Edited by arby