MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ScrubbieLady

Potato problems

We are trying potatoes for the first time this year. We know some of the problems and hopefully how to deal with them but a friend said that potatoes have serious problems with bugs requiring Sevin dust. Not very in love with Sevin.

We need a short lesson in the types of bugs and how to deal with them.

We used raised beds and I can't think of any bug problems but that might be a region thing. The only problem I have is not watering them enough.

Good luck

Old-timers used to just give the kids a tin can with soapy water in it and have them catch the bugs into it. The potato bugs are like slow chubby ladybugs and can just be knocked off. You could make it interesting and give them a nickel a dozen...?

Otherwise if you do it yourself it shouldn't take more than a few minutes a day to check a row.

We put our potatoes last season, into 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom..."container" gardening, with Mels Mix (we do the square foot gardening system)...and I just kept our squares sprayed with a home-brew of "vegetable soap"...that I found on katzcradul (youtube). It seems to work just fine for us...even for the dreaded squash bugs. However, a friend who is a retired conservationist and gardens, told us about something (I'll have to ask him again) that he puts into a syringe and injects a little into his squash plants and the squash bugs don't like it and don't even start. We're thinking about trying that sincef we fussed with them several times last season...and still ended up losing all of our winter squash varieties. We'll probably still put our potatoes in buckets. I am planning to try my hand at sweet potatoes too, but not sure yet how they'll do in a bucket. Have to do some more research.

Our potatoes are going into large tubs (I have seen cattle feed come in them). A friend has almost all of their vegetables in the tubs. They drill four holes about 3-4 inches up the sides for drainage (reservoir at the bottom for dry times but they do have drainage). They grow white and sweet potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, squash, greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts, herbs, etc. in the tubs.