MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sunday and seeds

Looking thourgh gardening books and seed catalog and then the Stark Bros. website (to look at berry bushes). :sigh: Am I the only one that wants to grow just about everything? :008Laughing:

I've wanted blueberry bushes for awhile. DH can't be talked into it as he has some excuse about not having any more room in the yard. :pout: (Yeah, I know he's right...). I saw that Sam's had blueberry plants that were for containers, so I'm looking more into that. (See, there's hope for me having blueberry bushes here after all! :D ) Not necessarily wanting to buy them from a big box store, though.

Oh, I need to get supper started (chicken in the oven). Will be back.

How's your day? Anyone else garden-planning while it's snowing?

Good afternoon, OOTO!

Garden-planning, yes indeed... but it isn't snowing here. The weatherman did not say anything about it being overcast today. Yesterday, we re-planted a little. He requested cauliflower, broccoli, jalapeño-replacement, cucumber-replacement, and zucchini-replacement. The zucchini I thought were not going to come up, well, when I dug a hole for the new seed, I accidentally disturbed a sprout that had not quite broken through the soil. :blink: Patience.... or "wait for it" attitude is something I need, but the seeds have been in the soil a month....

DH did comment about finding room for the 12 tomato plants and the rest of the stuff. He suggested using some of the 5 gallon buckets I have stacked up. Now, I have to go get more soil. :happy0203:

We saw WM had bare root blueberry plants, but I do not know if it would survive the heat of our summer. :shrug:

Today, we are taking it easy and resting.

My main project, while waiting for the seeds to sprout.... weeding! If my garden only grew as fast as the weeds are we'd never have to worry about veggies. LOL

Our last frost date is St. Patty's, so I'm late with the tomatoes and all. I did spend a chunk of today on the Baker Creek and Southern exposure sites, browsing next year's possibilities.

We're planning out what we want to plant as well as setting up a "rack" for some 5-gallon buckets for container plants and maybe a "mulch" row for some others. I really like the perma-culture type garden ideas & try to sort of convert them to what we've got available. Right now we're still shoveling out from 2 ft. of snow. We're supplosed to get more moisture tomorrow, so we'll wait and see what the temperature brings. Just hope the snow melts gradually and gives our grounds a good soaking instead of running off.

I planted blueberries in my front foundation planting last year and am waiting to see how they do - my husband also doesn't like me to plant more stuff in the yard,he hates to trim around them. I am planting edibles in with the flower beds,and this year want to install some raised beds for veggies-already have a big raised bed of strawberries.I have a very steep hill on the west side of the house and have been planning what sort of ground cover and flowers to put there.I put landscape fabric and some soil there last fall but didn't get it finished do to having a bad back and the weather turning bad,so lots to do this spring.

Our garden space is under a mountain of snow right now. Dh is out, again, plowing after yesterdays storm. Snow drifted across the highways, stayed and iced everything, causing closures on many. We didn't run the school bus today, and probably won't be able to tommorow either.

I ordered the survival vault can of seeds, some garlic starts that are heirloom, and some acorn squash heirloom quality seeds, they should be delivered in the next week. With the way this nation is going right now economically, etc, etc, I am going to do some under,the,radar gardens and hopefully the wildlife won't get them! was looking for the Native American corn,bean, squash gardening doc I thought I had on my laptop here, but cannot find it, can someone repost that for us all?

I was wondering something. Do they start new blueberry bushes from cuttings? Or from seed?

I'm wanting to pur in a "berm" to try some permaculture stuff. May not be able to get much out of it this year, but figured it would "settle" and that the neighbors etc. would become accustom to the pile of logs and branches in the back of yard. Also wondering if the city will say anything...but, it's worth a try. Then having the "rack" with my upside down 5-gallon buckets for container gardening will enable us to "grab and go" if we need to. There's been so much talk about cities wanting to tax gardens etc., you never know from one day to the next do you!?

For me region I will wait til May 1st to plant anything. Only after that can it be considered truly frost free most years. But at least it is starting to warm up some here and the ground is not frozen, exactly, right outside. It still is snow weather time though. Just the maple sap is being gathered at this point, a rather lengthy season this year which is not a bad thing for those who do so!