MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lori has a Little Lamb - that followed her to work yesterday

OK, so I had to change the title because :

"Ben has a little lamb" just didn't fit ? LOL

Anyway YES a little orphan lamb DID go to the Library so Lori could bottle feed it!

And now the rest of the story............................

Ben's (Amish) Family Farms where we help out at is very busy at this time of the year-

The 'men' and Michael have the sugar house up and running making Maple Syrup 24/7 (cold nights /warm days)

And also they are in the middle of Lambing Season with over 125 baby lambs this week alone! There are about 8 'orphans' where the mother has died in having them or just will not let them suck(?) and those we have to bottle feed for now. Lori has been helping with that part but had to go to work early at the Library on Thursday and missed out on feeding time, and she was pouting about it.

So I got our cats harness and took one to the Library as a surprise for her to feed.

I ran in, gave her a bottle, then went back out to van and walked in with lamb on leash.

Now I have to tell you that I didn't know how that would go but that baby lamb LOVED be on a leash and just walked all over like she owned the place! And as you know everyone in there wanted to pet her. Everyone gathered around as Lori let it drink from the bottle and all you could hear were oohs and ahhhs as all this was going on. Every time someone came in the day it was "what’s going on?" as they saw the growing crowd, then THEY wanted to 'feel the wool' with their kids.

When I left I told Lori that I had wipes and a blanket if needed but 'baby lamb' did great!
Also turned out after the first few bleats baby lamb likes to ride in box on front seat of the van?

When I got back to the Amish Farm I carried her in so the kids there could see how well she was on the leash, and say how good she was (and no poop or peep left at the Library) as soon as I put her down she pees on the wood Kitchen Floor! I thanked her for waiting........................

Now I also should say that being this is a 'country Library' and the Boss's cat (they live next door) always comes to visit 'mom' on long work days , people are always bringing in dogs, cats and even a duck to 'visit' and show off but this was the first Lamb to stop by!

What a heart warming story! Sounds like Lori enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing, you put a smile on my face this morning AH.

Today, it is raining! :bounce: Love it! It has been a few years since we have received this much moisture. I am anticipating the green to explode. Yesterday the first zucchini pushed through the soil. Corn is now 2 inches high, spinach plants are getting their 2nd leaves, the tomato plants have been planted in their permanent plots, beets have been thinned by transplanting, and head lettuce is up.

The only plans I have... house cleaning, a day early. We are expecting my surrogate son to visit tomorrow.

What are you doing today?

When I worked at a Senior's care home, someone brought in a baby lamb. A lady, in her 90s, and who had been a teacher, had never even seen one before. I was very surprised at that.

Another resident, who in the "years" I worked there had NEVER had any one visit him, cried with joy when I placed that wiggly tailed baby in his arms. I will never forget his great pleasure and gratitude over that tiny lamb.