MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Update on Ham radio plans

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my small group started taking classes to prepare for our ham radio licenses. After 3 classes and many hours of study, we have decided to not go the ham radio route.

Each class we learned different things that discouraged us from continuing.

Of course in registering, you are put on another list.

Every ten minutes you have to state your call letters (who you are).

You can not use any type of code talk.

During WWII the govt jammed the signals and it was forbidden to use the radios.

Although you can transmit much farther on a ham radio, it just didn't seem worth it to us. We were planning on spending about 800.00 plus to get a mobile unit ( much more powerful than a hand held), with a very good antenna, plus a marine battery, etc.

Then we thought about marine radios. You can not use them on dry land!

Soo, we are back to cb's which are only good for a few miles.

We all also have short wave radios. You have to buy a better antenna for them, but they can pick up channels all over the world for info.

I have 2 ham radio books if anyone would like them at a discount. One I haven't even opened.

Ham Radio for Dummies

and

Technician Class

It might be worth having at least the books on hand and having the equipment (If there is extra money for it!) for using SHTF. Better to have the knowledge and the equipment, than to have no way to communicate. True SHTF, no one is going to need a license for awhile, anyways. ;)

It might be worth having at least the books on hand and having the equipment (If there is extra money for it!) for using SHTF. Better to have the knowledge and the equipment, than to have no way to communicate. True SHTF, no one is going to need a license for awhile, anyways. ;)

Mountain Man voiced just about the same thoughts...who's going to enforce anything ... :smiley_shitfan: