MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Calling All Frugalistas! Reality TV wants YOU!

I received an email through my website last night from a casting director for TLC. They are looking for individuals, couples or families to appear on the 2nd season of the Extreme Cheapskates TV Show to demonstrate their frugal ways.

I've never watched the show but feel the need to caution anyone that might be interested. I would assume that it is one of those shows that tries to make frugal people look somewhat silly. As it was, I could imagine them thinking that I was odd for re-using laundry lint as a firestarter.

At any rate... I thought that I'd pass the word along in case any of you are interested. Rather than post the contact information here, I will forward it to anyone that sends me a private message.

I am nowhere near a true cheapskate, but I assume that TLC found me due to the large number of frugal-minded folks that follow me on Twitter for homesteading and emergency preparedness info.

We prefer flying "under the radar" at every opportunity! LOL Almost every prepper expo we've been to (as some gun shows) there's been a table set up for "Doomsday Preppers"...trying to sign people up. Their table has almost always been empty! LOL

I'm not crazy, but I can play crazy on television.

Let's see... My family no longer buys expensive breakfast cereal. Instead we clean out the dryer vent and pour milk on it for breakfast. It has plenty of fiber!

We don't actually wash dishes. We stack them up on the counter and then add hot water to make soup for dinner. Soup is a yummy and nutritious meal!

We walk everyplace that we go. I sent my hubby out to look for spare change along the side of the road in 1998 and he hasn't gotten back yet. I've heard the neighbors snickering about him running away from my cheap-o ways, but it absolutely isn't true. He just doesn't want to come home without enough money to buy that screw that I lost long ago!

If you've never seen the show,they spend a lot of time on bathroom habits. I figure that is their way of making people look crazy!!

Even though they're a bit absurd...we still watch the show...for grins? Most of them are about a half step lower than the curb, but you never know...might see something that we'd want to store in our memory bank, either to do or not to do? LOL

I sent my hubby out to look for spare change along the side of the road in 1998 and he hasn't gotten back yet. I've heard the neighbors snickering about him running away from my cheap-o ways, but it absolutely isn't true. He just doesn't want to come home without enough money to buy that screw that I lost long ago!

:laughkick:

oh my, I can see how the producers can play this up, putting a fake beard on your dh, tattered clothes, and having him wander in with a can of change toward the end of the segment

I don't think we collectively have enough crazy to make the cut though LOL

Let's see my crazy is homemade washing soap, homemade cleaning products with left over orange and lemon peels, foil balls for dryer sheets. Kitchen towels instead of paper towels, real napkins instead of paper napkins. Homemade feminine products. Haven't gotten up the nerve for family wipes but if prices keep going up I guess I will have to. Cooking from scratch and then some; yeah even though I am from the south and we bring our crazy out for all to see I am not doing TV. You know TV makes you look fatter right? Move over Mt. Rider I am joining you :behindsofa:

Let's see my crazy is homemade washing soap, homemade cleaning products with left over orange and lemon peels, foil balls for dryer sheets. Kitchen towels instead of paper towels, real napkins instead of paper napkins. Homemade feminine products. Haven't gotten up the nerve for family wipes but if prices keep going up I guess I will have to. Cooking from scratch and then some; yeah even though I am from the south and we bring our crazy out for all to see I am not doing TV. You know TV makes you look fatter right? Move over Mt. Rider I am joining you :behindsofa:

Mommato3 boys is such a cheapskate that she washes her aluminum foil in the washing machine and dries it with the towels so that she can reuse it later to bake potatoes in. The potato skins are saved and carefully flattened to make writing paper for her children. She stays up until the wee hours with a ruler and a ballpoint pen carefully etching lines and a margin on each skin so that her youngest will grow to have the best penmanship in his homeschool class!

See? I can crazy you up a bit!

Mommato3 boys is such a cheapskate that she washes her aluminum foil in the washing machine and dries it with the towels so that she can reuse it later to bake potatoes in. The potato skins are saved and carefully flattened to make writing paper for her children. She stays up until the wee hours with a ruler and a ballpoint pen carefully etching lines and a margin on each skin so that her youngest will grow to have the best penmanship in his homeschool class!

See? I can crazy you up a bit!

We are finished homeschooling my baby is married so now we eat those tater skins LOL as for the foil I will never buy dryer sheets again. I am totally sold on foil balls in the dryer. I have two the size of golf balls and I have noticed it takes less time to dry clothes because my filter is not getting clogged with the goo from the dryer sheets. YAY