MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

BOB/INCH (I'm Not Coming Home Bag) Lots of PICS

I have a big bust and sloping shoulders, so finding a pack that fits properly is problematic.

There is a small pack style that is popular with some of the school kids today. I've seen it in a military style as well. It has only one diagonal shoulder strap. I'm not fond of it, but it might serve your geometry well.

Edited by Gunplumber
I have a big bust and sloping shoulders, so finding a pack that fits properly is problematic.
There is a small pack style that is popular with some of the school kids today. I've seen it in a military style as well. It has only one diagonal shoulder strap. I'm not fond of it, but it might serve your geometry well.

Sounds like the type I carry for my "purse" when we're going to be out and about, especially at expo's etc. I just slip it over my head, hitch the waist straps and I'm ready to go. I actually can carry quite a bit of stuff in it considering. But..it's definitely NOT a BOB.

Yeah, the weight problem. Yesterday I found myself sliding my jacket off of my shoulders to relieve the pressure on my neck/trap muscles. Just because I carry a few things down the hill with me when I feed the livestock. Some days, just a few things in my pockets....even distributed on upper and lower body....can be too much. :imoksmiley:

The backpack I got for DH [from a flea market ....cheap and it looks USED, and not shiny/interesting/valuable-contents-inside] has shoulder straps if he had to take to the rough terrain but mostly he'd try to walk home along the highway dragging it along on it's wheels. It has one of those extending handles. You'd still have to change hands or get your body all torqued. You could attach it to the back of your belt, midline, and walk on with TWO walking poles. That would be the most ergonomically correct, I think.

The better the load treats your body....the further you'll get.

The better you can get your body in the best shape possible for you....the further you'll get.

MtRider -- NOT in the best shape right now. Best shape possible considering situations and conditions which are frustrating my attempts to fix this! :shakinghead:

Our BOBs have the wheels and handle, but they add to the weight and I'm not real sure how useful they would be.

I routinely carry 30-40# of feed from the barn to the milk shed, about 300ft in a bucket, but that is about my limit most days. Still, I'm strong for a woman my age (60) and can work many younger women (and some guys) into the ground. I pace myself though and don't try to do it all in one go. Bugging out, you would be going flat out for quite a ways if on foot. Even if it were a steady pace, how long could you maintain it? My biggest concerns are that my daughter could not carry anything and cannot walk far. Even that is going to be slow and me pulling her along.

Keep a couple of wethers and train them....and DD....to a goat cart? Again, it would only work on basically flat surface or they'd tip her out. :o You'd need a rickshaw and driver!

The option of having wheels definitely increases weight to the pack!!! I thot on that long and hard. Ruled it out when we were younger. Couple years ago, I conceded to the inevitable. It will now help more than hurt in the case of DH getting home. It's a small pack and he can easily carry it with the extra weight if he has to leave the highway. Course he'll be walking slower in this decade anyway....

Getting old really messes up youthful planning, ya know? :( (How the heck did we get so old anyway?)

I wouldn't chose the wheelie bag for a complete bug-out from our house though. With me, it's just not gonna work anyway. I can do short, distances and long rests; then short distances again. But any weight cuts those distances down ridiculously.

MtRider :shrug::pray:

Thanks, SurvivalMom78! Yes, the Diva Cups have changed my life for the better! I carry one in my EDC along with a Willow Pad. The DC can be worn up to 12 hours, or empty more frequently if necessary. It holds up to 30 ml @ a time. I really need that long term protection while working as a nurse. I never know when I will get a bathroom break!