MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

55 Degree Temperature Plunge?!?!

I spotted this on the front page of MSN this morning...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/09/17667125-temperature-suddenly-plunges-55-degrees-in-colorado-its-just-brutal?lite

"Blizzard warnings were in effect Tuesday in Colorado, where the temperature plunged more than 50 degrees in less than 24 hours and the wind chill approached zero. Forecasters also expect hurricane-force blasts of frigid air in Utah and heavy snow in the Dakotas."

Oh my goodness! Bundle up folks...Looks like a spring storm is bearing down on some parts of the US!

I was thinking of Mt Rider when I saw that temp difference. They had snow, some of it three foot drifts , tornados and dust storm kicking up in colorado today, and its moving east and northeast now , at a good clip.

Ive enjoyed a brilliant sunny day yesterday, partly sunny today but also warmer at 56 or so.....

I could tell there was "foul" weather around us...cloud cover was heavy, temperature high and you could cut the humidity with a knife. Even the paving stones in Abby's kennel were sweaty. Everybody's on "stand by" I think, not knowing what kind of weather is coming their ways.

Colorado can't seem to stay outta the news lately. Yesterday was just plain weird. In our area, I'd call it Hit 'n Run Blizzards. DH and I traveled home late from the hospital (my dad) the night before. Drove over a huge ridge and blam. Snow very heavy like comet streaks in the headlights. Wet sticky stuff but not much accumulation.

Tuesday was the day my dad got out of hospital ...successfully despite periodic whiteout. Most of our area had wind but not a lot of snow content. That's somewhat disappointing cuz we NEED the moisture. So dry.

Other areas had more dramatic weather. We're fine. Below zero the last two nights tho -- in APRIL? Yeah, we'd been up in the 60's with sunny daytime. Yesterday we climbed up to 20 degrees briefly. Spent most of it between zero and 10 degrees.

MtRider :frozen:

I have a snow band overhead on radar but its not hitting the ground at my altitude just yet. Its been overhead a while. Predicted snow tonight of 1 inch of dangerous mix mostly in high country...... so why is radar saying its current snow and its not coming down when it looks so solid? Weird. Seems a good day for inside things..........like knitting dishcloths as I have found that todays scrubbie sponges are crud. Well I might manage to finish one by tonight sometime. LOL.

I would say to folks to start or maintain seedlings inside for another week or two in some of our climes or longer, regarding CO weather....... rather than putting seedlings out right now or be sure of protecting them with covers or clotches or mulching with straw , news paper, etc if there is incoming nasty cold weather.

I have a snow band overhead on radar but its not hitting the ground at my altitude just yet. Its been overhead a while. Predicted snow tonight of 1 inch of dangerous mix mostly in high country...... so why is radar saying its current snow and its not coming down when it looks so solid? Weird. Seems a good day for inside things..........like knitting dishcloths as I have found that todays scrubbie sponges are crud. Well I might manage to finish one by tonight sometime. LOL.

I would say to folks to start or maintain seedlings inside for another week or two in some of our climes or longer, regarding CO weather....... rather than putting seedlings out right now or be sure of protecting them with covers or clotches or mulching with straw , news paper, etc if there is incoming nasty cold weather.

I also prefer to crochet my dish "rounds" ... they work just as good as a teflon sponge ... and don't hold all the gunk inside them. I just toss them into the wash with my towels and then in the dryer too. Good sanitation that way!

I also am electing to wait to start gardening...weather had just been too unstable.

Right now when our farmers should be planting their corn, its icky snow, icy pellets and sleet and black ice earlier this morning and it was in the 50's a few days ago. Watching all the wild weather in the southeast and upward to my area where we have more cold , well, that certainly delays gardening too. I am hoping nobody here was affected badly by the storms , their homes and vehicles, etc, structurally in the past couple days. Rambunctious weather for sure.