MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's your next 2 preps?

Sometimes prepping can seem overwhelming. There's so much. And then trying not to over-focus in one area to ignore another....so many goals, lists, books, food, stuff, skills to learn/improve, gear information, info to print out, research, water, stuff for Bugging in, bugging out, getting home, in case you can't get home, preparing mentally/spiritually/emotionally/physically, medical.... :runcirclsmiley2:

So, let's make this very simple: What's your next 2 preps? You can only list 2. I mean it. :baseballbat: Have more than 2? Then put 2 down, finish those and come back and tell us your next 2 goals.

Maybe this will also help some of the lurkers to post?

Regardless of where we are in prepping, I think we can all have 2 little reasonable- to-obtain-goals in prepping!

My next 2 preps goals:

1. Get some of my new cast iron properly re-seasoned.

2. Buy a portable battery-operated fan. I saw one for about $14 in the camping section at Walmart. While I'm prepared for cold-weather power outages, I'm not so much for hot-weather power outages. And with me often feeling ill in hot weather, I think this would help a little.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:coffeescreen: EXCELLENT post idea. And I could SO relate to your introduction! During times of low energy/feeling ill [tho it seems to be finallllly improving!!]......I get even more in a :runcirclsmiley2:

Sooooo......

1) Get my disability scooter repaired

2) CheckWristThing*GetNewGlasses*StartContainerGarden*FixPrinterAndPrintLotsaStuff*RideHorseForTherapy*....... :busted:

MtRider --- hey, CGA's #2 goal was quite an expansive goal tooooo. :laughkick:

1) get containers for water (I saw some nice ones on The Ready Store website)

2) make meals-in-a-bag. I've got all of the components, I just lack the space to store the bags once made up. It's easier for the time being having each item neatly in their cans and cases neatly stacked. For the life of me, i can't think of a rodent proof, efficient way to store them once they're assembled. I've got my dehydrated vegetables in mylar, in a Rubbermaid container (the size you could fit a body in!) - but there's soooo much wasted space the way the bags fit in there. I don't have the space for a bunch of those (and, they're of course not rodent proof).

:coffeescreen: EXCELLENT post idea. And I could SO relate to your introduction! During times of low energy/feeling ill [tho it seems to be finallllly improving!!]......I get even more in a :runcirclsmiley2:

Sooooo......

2) CheckWristThing*GetNewGlasses*StartContainerGarden*FixPrinterAndPrintLotsaStuff*RideHorseForTherapy*....... :busted:

#2 is a good one! :) I tried to narrow down to two but couldn't. Whatever I think I'm going to do, something will come up and I'll do something different so no need to even list anything!

Sooooo......

But...but...I knew MtRider couldn't just have 2! :008Laughing:

Sooooo......

But you can't break moving a farm down into parts where you finish one before starting another. Once the farm sells the rest HAS to be done asap. And all at once and Lord help me.

Lumabean, have you thought of using a metal garbage can with a locking lid to store your prepared meals. It is rodent proof, although, they do take up space as well.

Wooohooo....Thank you, Lovinit! When Luma mentioned trying to figure out a rodent proof container for mylar pouches....well, I just mentally tacked that onto my #2. :P I've got the same problem and it's sitting in a big box in the bedroom taking up space till I can figure it out. Metal trash can would likely work! In this case, they mylar bags are too large to fit in my heavy buckets. Usually ....ahem, USUALLY, mice don't chew what they can't smell. But I was hesitant to put them into merely plastic tote boxes. :cheer:

OK....my revised #2 ...Trip to Walmart for trash can, TP, Kleenex, ......etc.

Then I have to make more #1's and #2's.

And Andrea is SO cheating!!! :grinning-smiley-044: [You will tell us HOW if you accomplish those two lil' goals, won't you?]

CGA....yeah, I've been looking around this place with move in mind and :runcirclsmiley2: SKEERY enough to make me want to stay! :wacko:

MtRider -- #1 Shut off computer! #2 Go to bed! :offtobed:

I have quail eggs in the incubator to increase my flock and I also plan to plant my newly enlarged garden. While I have planted a few things in raised beds, I do have a full garden that hasn't been planted due to weather concerns. I may get some of the garden done today.

Hmm...change in #1......go get a pointy lump on wrist checked out. I think it's just from computer use..... :scratchhead: But it's getting bigger and tender soooooo....it gets moved up to #1. {waiting for 3 day weekend to be over tho}

So what happens if things keep changing in priorities BEFORE YOU CAN GET ANY OF THEM DONE! :motz_6:

MtRider :yar:

Ow, Mt Rider. Hope it is easily fixable.

I know what you mean about priorities. Every time I plan to do something, I have to stop and take care of something else. So the planned activity gets pushed further back and the planned one is the one that will further my goals while the unplanned is basically "putting out fires" type stuff and usually something that has to be a temporary fix since i am not planning to stay. So I spend too much time and energy on "temporary" because "permanent" will take so much more time and energy and I'M MOVING! I am determined that I am MOVING. (Just waiting for the bridge to be done and a buyer to show up.)

I keep putting out fires too... and dealing with sciatica for the past several weeks is slowing me down so much. Two more weeks until school is out and summer is here tho!

1. Building a chicken roost.

2. Putting the many transplants I have into pots or the ground.

1 solar oven

2 garden all up good and ready to can