MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's your next 2 preps?

Like DS, I want to put my solar oven out and try some new recipes in it. With all the erratic weather I haven't been able to set it out. Second one will "probably" be planting more lettuce, radishes & spinach as well as more carrots to backup the current square. My additional 8 trays for my dehydrator came in over the weekend (plus their accompanying mesh & fruit trays) so I'll have 16 trays high on my big dehydrator and six available on my smaller one. And guess what! When sorting out storage tubs that we brought down from the Little House, we found a brand new still in the box Nesco dehydrator (a small one like the one I have) and a couple of boxes of trays! I couldn't hardly believe it! Mountain Man was such an emergency preparedness person! He had this stuck in a tote and had forgotten it was even there...LOL That will make four dehydrators that I can have if I need them. I think I'll leave this new one in it's box in case one of my other "work horses" decides to give up the ghost.

Wanted to edit some typo's! LOL

Edited by Philbe
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko: Shall I try again????

#1 - Go to doc appoint. in two wks to check pointy lump on wrist/bronchial congestion/disability parking renewal

#2 - Um....wait to see if a plan hatched by my brother/parents to find me a used lawn tractor [doesn't need mower attachment...mostly rocks here] works out. Might be lots cheaper than repair of scooter. AND gasoline engine has better chance of getting UP STEEP DRIVEWAY (especially towards winter). :shrug:

:scratchhead: Hmmm....this method of prioritizing just isn't working for me right now. Yeah, this little wildfires to be put out and the altered plans to be pushed back..... Dunno if I'm coming or going. :twister3:

Unexpected PROGRESS (for health):

Meanwhile, I RODE my princess today. NEED to make riding a priority. :rolleyes: "Princess" reminds me [and prolly everyone who drives past our pastures] of Pigpen from Peanuts. Sheeesh, she's a mess. Groomed out her last clumps of winter hair....itchy so she rolls in the mud/dirt. And she's such a non-descript color anyway. She behaved well ---since I'm riding about once in 3 months now. :unsure: That is not helping the MS so....that needs to be an ongoing priority toooooooo..... Cuz iffen the HooeyHitsFan while I'm in this physical shape, it's not going to be good. But I'm so tired, I don't ride. And I'm so tired partly because I don't ride. :yar: Gotta break the cycle.

Goals waiting in line for Numbers 1 and 2 to be done:

#3....Sell?......GIVE AWAY? .......PAY SOMEONE TO TAKE a couple goats. The idiot Mo/DD pair for sure. The ones that dash off in this direction then barge over here..... idiots! They were yanking so hard as I was trying to unhook their leashes from grazing this morning. Pulled the T-post so it BANGED into my head. OW! :motz_6: Idiots!

#4....tempted to git rid of Mr.FeatherHead horse. The one who ISN'T the Arabian. (I expect featherheadedness from Arabians but not solid Quarter horses!) He's so unpredictable and goes into dramatic fight-flight over nothing/anything. A lot of bucking/kicking with his performances of: "OH! That startled me!" I stopped riding his stupid self long ago. Even on the ground, I have to be so on-guard. Situational Awareness and Self-Defense practice? <_< With regular working, he does settle quite a bit but with our current schedule, he goes feral! Another idiot! But the princess :wub: him. :rolleyes:

A stray, unrelated update: My other "princess"....Koa, doing well. 100+ pounds of PUPPY. :P Guards and digs and tugs on toys and decides that everyone should adore her. Has a fan club at my dentist office. [you KNOW you're going to the dentist's office toooo much when everyone knows your dog's name! ] They come out to the truck to see her. :rolleyes:

MtRider -- a bit frustrated and blathering.... :shrug: Do not like to be so disorganized.

Told the dr today was not taking any more of the bp medication that has been making me so sick. Got a new kind today. I think I feel this bad now because I'm getting a cold. Tomorrow will tell.

Did nothing on my Memorial Day list. Sick since Thursday.

At least now I know I won't be fighting the Quinapril side effects.

Adding (or revising) my two...perhaps 2a and 2b? LOL Anyway, additional ear wash liquid & allergy tabs for Abby-girl. New items we'll need to have plenty of. Very grateful that the allergy tabs are generic's from WM because the ear wash is $30 a bottle.

1) get containers for water (I saw some nice ones on The Ready Store website)

2) make meals-in-a-bag. I've got all of the components, I just lack the space to store the bags once made up. It's easier for the time being having each item neatly in their cans and cases neatly stacked. For the life of me, i can't think of a rodent proof, efficient way to store them once they're assembled. I've got my dehydrated vegetables in mylar, in a Rubbermaid container (the size you could fit a body in!) - but there's soooo much wasted space the way the bags fit in there. I don't have the space for a bunch of those (and, they're of course not rodent proof).

Close to marking #1 off my list :) I placed an order this morning for 8 of the 5 gallon stackable water containers, water purifier additive, 2 spigots, and 2 replacement caps. I of course need more, but it's a start.

1. Chicken roost built....they don't seem to be using it. :( They're also not using the nice nesting box either. They seem to prefer the nice hole they made in the hay.

2. I've put in a number of transplants but still have quite a few more.

BUT....Friday is the last day of work and then summers here! Then I'll have actual time to do stuff.

1. Costco run and stock up on my list- a few things have gasp run out! (AA batteries, almost out of coffee I'd be sunk!)

2. Re-organize/annual Grab N Go Bags. Kids have gotten bigger, food needs rotated, need to check expiration dates.

3. This one is extra but it's more continuing- Water my new raspberry bushes so they don't die!

#2a has been accomplished, but not #2b or #1. This weather has just not been good for solar cooking. Sun okay...rain & winds no.

Found we had stocked the Zytec generics so just need to replenish. So, #2 has sort of been done...LOL But, raining again today so no solar cooking.

No solar cooking today. Too many other things to get done, including trip to hairdresser this afternoon. Vacume cleaner is sitting amid the bedroom screaming that the job of vacuming hasn't been completed (and it's Thursday!)! All this is usually done by Tuesday or Wednesday...:-(

I did get a couple of cherry trees, and blue berry bushes. Dh is planting a "Mountain Ash" then we'll find a spot for the other things. We have been busy cutting the yard, planting pots, and the garden. General clean up all round.

No solar cooking today. Too many other things to get done, including trip to hairdresser this afternoon. Vacume cleaner is sitting amid the bedroom screaming that the job of vacuming hasn't been completed (and it's Thursday!)! All this is usually done by Tuesday or Wednesday...:-(

OK...vacuming done. Vinyl's swept & mopped, laundry done. And hair has been cut about 2" shorter to trim off some of the blonde. Natural color has incorporated it's "silver self" quite well into the brown. Looks like a natural frost! LOL

I caved on going au naturale, Philbe, I hope your resolve lasts longer than mine did LOL. After reading about the ills of hair color (and the bad results I've had on a vanity level), I swore it off, saying natural all the way. Then dh made a comment about my plethera of grey that was creeping (well, more like storming LOL) in though I am only 40, so I colored before we went on a trip last month. I wish I didn't do it, but eh. From this point on, I am determined to stick with natural as the color grows out, I am hoping that it's as natural looking as yours seems to be.

Back on the prepping front ...

The tracking on my water container order is showing it will be here Monday. After getting them filled and stored, I am moving on to canning. I was reading in the thread Jeepers posted about the canner, and her and Violet's exchange prodded me on to get my tushie moving in that area. I ordered the weights mentioned in that post, and am going to see if I can borrow my mother's pressure canner (new, factory sealed, even though she's had it for a few years). If I can't then I will just buy one, I saw Wal-Mart has the 23 quart Presto online for a bundle of the canner and a case of jars for $80, free shipping to home or site to store. So, once the water is squared away (well, a portion of it anyway!), it's on to canning meat :)

:yar: I don't even know what my alleged first two prepping goals ARE anymore.

Revised yet again:

#1 Assist my folks during my dad's health issues.

#2 Recover from assisting

Repeat as necessary.........

MtRider --- Well, that makes it pretty simple! :shrug:

I caved on going au naturale, Philbe, I hope your resolve lasts longer than mine did LOL. After reading about the ills of hair color (and the bad results I've had on a vanity level), I swore it off, saying natural all the way. Then dh made a comment about my plethera of grey that was creeping (well, more like storming LOL) in though I am only 40, so I colored before we went on a trip last month. I wish I didn't do it, but eh. From this point on, I am determined to stick with natural as the color grows out, I am hoping that it's as natural looking as yours seems to be.

Back on the prepping front ...

The tracking on my water container order is showing it will be here Monday. After getting them filled and stored, I am moving on to canning. I was reading in the thread Jeepers posted about the canner, and her and Violet's exchange prodded me on to get my tushie moving in that area. I ordered the weights mentioned in that post, and am going to see if I can borrow my mother's pressure canner (new, factory sealed, even though she's had it for a few years). If I can't then I will just buy one, I saw Wal-Mart has the 23 quart Presto online for a bundle of the canner and a case of jars for $80, free shipping to home or site to store. So, once the water is squared away (well, a portion of it anyway!), it's on to canning meat :)

I'm over 65 so I have alot of silver (not grey) which seems to be working out just fine (and I've earned every one of them!). I've got ALOT more silver than brunette...LOL

Washed the solar oven out, got my granite ware mini-water bath pot and we'll have a meal cooking via the sun tomorrow while we work around the garage. The weather is supposed to be mostly sunny. That will have accomplished my two preps...Yeh for Philbe!

1) Propagating cuttings of perennials and fruit trees. I have everything necessary, except time. :faint3:

2) Bee keeping. The more I notice the lack of bees around to pollinate my homestead, the more I'm pushed to make changes in the neighborhood. :hidingsmile:

Edited by Homesteader
Washed the solar oven out, got my granite ware mini-water bath pot and we'll have a meal cooking via the sun tomorrow while we work around the garage. The weather is supposed to be mostly sunny. That will have accomplished my two preps...Yeh for Philbe!

Woke up to rain...so no solar cooking today. Suppose #1 can be boiling water in the solar oven?

:yar: I don't even know what my alleged first two prepping goals ARE anymore.

Revised yet again:

#1 Assist my folks during my dad's health issues.

#2 Recover from assisting

Repeat as necessary.........

MtRider --- Well, that makes it pretty simple! :shrug:

:hug3::pray:

#1 Make sure you're taking care of yourself, too!

#2 Don't get too run down.

1) Propagating cuttings of perennials and fruit trees. I have everything necessary, except time. :faint3:

2) Bee keeping. The more I notice the lack of bees around to pollinate my homestead, the more I'm pushed to make changes in the neighborhood. :hidingsmile:

As soon as I get reasonably settled in a new place I intend to get bees too. They are getting scarce and may be completely gone in 2-3 yrs at the rate the colonies are collapsing.

Be sure to keep cell phones, etc away from the garden and the hives and don't use pesticides.

I was able to get my #1 crossed off. DH sanded the new cast iron and seasoned it and then reseasoned it.

My #2 is to buy a battery powered fan for power outage. WM has one in their camping section. I still need to buy that.

My new #1 is to get the beans, carrots and (more) parsley planted. We keep putting it off. I was going to do it yesterday evening, but while DH grilled dinner, jerk neighbor lady brought a lawn chair out into the middle of her yard, and sat facing our back yard and porch, staring at us. :sigh: Yes, we know she just wants a reaction. :shakinghead: Really, she was torturing herself...I mean the wonderful aroma of grass-fed beef rib eye steaks grilling... :feedme::lol:

OOTO, sorry that your neighbors are such wackos, it's bizarre how they do things like that. Do they get along with any of the neighbors? With bizarre behavior like that, I can't imagine anyone in the neighborhood wanting to be associated with them (for fear of being deemed crazy by association).

I received my order of water containers today ~ they're smaller than I had expected, but then I am not really sure I should have anticipated anything bigger being that they're each 5 gallons. Since it's so rainy, damp, and gloomy out today, I am going to hold off on filling them until tomorrow (or a non-rainy day) because the only place I have to wash them properly and then fill them up is in the bathroom, and the lighting in there is not the best at night or on overcast days, and I want to be able to see really well to make sure the soap is completely out. I don't want to go through the effort of cleaning/filling, only to have soap in there. Maybe it wouldn't have any major impact, but the wondering would bug me.