MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's your next 2 preps?

1...buy hay

2...buy food on sales

:( Bought hay today. Spent $200 and got less than a 2-horse trailer full. 14 bales at $15/bale + one duck food. :0327::gaah:

That used to fill the hay barn [2.5 tons]. Price has gone from $4 - $19. Did I mention that these are merely 50# bales instead of 70+ lb bales. :banghead: Feed store a bad place to get hay but all my other known sources of hay keep drying up. Farmer retired; farmer switched to huge round bales that we aren't set up to handle; etc. :yar:

See why I can't even GIVE AWAY some of my goats? See why one of my horses was free? See why my goats are let out to roam and eat daily? That helps and without weed-wacking, our place it looking fine! :rolleyes: [if I can keep the lil' hooligans off the road!

=================

Ok. I need two more goals. Y'know, this is a more encouraging way to set goals. I love crossing things off my list.

1.....put bubble wrap in lessor-used windows

2.....order DH another insulated coverall. His is rags. [pre-Christmas gift if I can get $$ ]

MtRider -- :pc_coffee:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

1. Put up thermal curtains in another room.

2. Buy infant fever reducers/pain relievers.

Done!

We're already noticing the difference in the room where we put up thermal curtains. They will pay for themselves by the end of winter.

Bought Little Remedies pain/fever reducer.

My next 2 preps are focusing mostly on organizing stuff and sorting things, so:

1. Take everything out of the kitchen utensil drawer. It's a big drawer. After wiping out the drawer (seriously, where does that dirt come from?), some stuff goes back in, some stuff gets donated (that we keep talking about getting rid of every time we're digging through the drawer). My energy level has dropped some, so this is a good one that doesn't require much energy, but is still accomplishing something.

2. At the end of the week, drop off the bags/boxes of stuff to donate. Those have slowly been growing for awhile now. We need to at least get rid of them for the space. A goodwill store isn't much out of our way, but it think the issue is simply remembering to take the stuff!

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

I haven't worked much on restocking the BOB or order 2014 veggie seeds. I did replant 8 blackberry plants that I'd buried the original tips into the ground earlier this year. I have 8 more to replant. A total of 16 free plants at $10 each if I'd bought them at the nursery. Each plant should give about 10 pounds of blackberries each year. :-)

We're in the process of batting up the attic with left-over rolls of insulation. When all the can lights are covered and wiring completed, we'll blow in about 12" more inches of insulation. I think I can feel the heat already in anticipation of another cold Indiana winter. :-)

Ok. I need two more goals. Y'know, this is a more encouraging way to set goals. I love crossing things off my list.

2.....order DH another insulated coverall. His is rags. [pre-Christmas gift if I can get $$ ]

:sigh: Well....it's more encouraging if you can actually accomplish at least ONE of the two simple goals.....

MtRider :yar:

Arby, don't know the licensing fees where you are at, but here in California, it costs more to insure and license a truck (especially if it has a camper) than it does to drive van. Vans are easier to find used here as well and they are usually cheaper. Have you considered converting a van? You could make curtains to put up while you're sleeping and there is a lot of room. We have a Toyota Sienna and I am constantly amazed by how much stuff I can fit into that thing! Just a thought!

• 1 month later...

My next 2 preps are focusing mostly on organizing stuff and sorting things, so:

1. Take everything out of the kitchen utensil drawer. It's a big drawer. After wiping out the drawer (seriously, where does that dirt come from?), some stuff goes back in, some stuff gets donated (that we keep talking about getting rid of every time we're digging through the drawer). My energy level has dropped some, so this is a good one that doesn't require much energy, but is still accomplishing something.

2. At the end of the week, drop off the bags/boxes of stuff to donate. Those have slowly been growing for awhile now. We need to at least get rid of them for the space. A goodwill store isn't much out of our way, but it think the issue is simply remembering to take the stuff!

Done. It actually turned into bigger projects. Once I start going through, organizing and getting rid of stuff, I want to keep going with it. Took the time to go through Christmas things, more kitchen stuff and childhood stuff. Several trips to the thrift store, but the pile is gone (for now)! It feels good to be more organized.

Ok, next 2 preps:

1. Get our bags ready for the hospital. With my allergies and sensitivities, we have to bring along more than most expectant moms. Like my own sheets, towels, blankets, gowns/clothing, baby stuff, ect. It's a little overwhelming, but worth it to avoid a reaction.

2. Organize some more.

2.....order DH another insulated coverall. His is rags. [pre-Christmas gift if I can get $$

Hey cool! Did the windows before the week-and-a-half of subzero. :frozen: I also added cardboard, towels, spare blankets, and the silver, insulating sun blocking thingie for a vehicle windshield...all on various, cold-leaking windows. Sheeesh, it was COLD!

For Christmas, my folks needed an idea for DH's gift so I did the research and found a dandy for them to give him. Made their job easy and he's keeping quite warm in it....tho he didn't get that in time for the SUBZERO period.

NEXT TWO GOALS:

1) ....might take a while but we're saving for a second vehicle so I'm not trapped up at the house and risking trying to walk up steep hill after nightly chores down at the barn.

2)....Well, it's time for another stock-up at the grocery. Don't want to be caught short on replenishing things if something goes down fast. :shopping:

3 ) And it's time to eliminate the STACKS of catalogs I get in the pre-Christmas push to sell. Aiieeee, they stack up fast. :reading:

[yeah, I can count. I'm listing three] :lol:

MtRider ....do repeating ones count as one-half each? Hmph!

We bought the 40+ bags of insulation for the attic. We'll blow it in after DH gets back from Africa.

1. Decide on a budget and get it on paper.

2. Blow in the attic insulation that's keeping the garage floor warm at the moment. :grinning-smiley-044:

How'd I miss this thread?

1. 2. 3. 4... I have too many to do and almost do not know where to start.

This time of year, for me, is bookkeeping/accounting/financial reports and taxes done in the next 3 weeks.

I did manage to reach a spiritual prep goal, by finding a Bible study plan for this year.

Next two preps... without money ??

#1. Plant garden before it gets too hot.

#2. Re-organize Bob storage area.

I didn't get my poo for Christmas that I was asking & hoping for, so I will plant without it. It's up to God to make it grow. :sigh:

OK, now another two...#1 to put together the makings of our "Wonder Oven" that we've had sitting for nearly 2 months. #2 Get rice buckets put together.

Didn't get the wonder oven put together :-( but did get the rice buckets put together, sealed & storage! :-)

#2a has been accomplished, but not #2b or #1. This weather has just not been good for solar cooking. Sun okay...rain & winds no.

Found we had stocked the Zytec generics so just need to replenish. So, #2 has sort of been done...LOL But, raining again today so no solar cooking.

Did some cooking in the solar oven, so I'm figuring it's "done" for the time being. When we get moved, I'll be more persistent in it!

Next two preps...hmmm...not really preps, just getting Little House bathroom & kitchen done so we can call it "functional" that if we absolutely had to, we could bunk there for an indefinite time and finish the rest of the rooms while living there...which Mtn.Man doesn't even want to think about doing :-(

Been a while since I even looked at this thread.

[1. Chicken roost built....they don't seem to be using it. :( They're also not using the nice nesting box either. They seem to prefer the nice hole they made in the hay.

2. I've put in a number of transplants but still have quite a few more.]

One and two are done and the girls have decided the roost and nesting box are up to their standards. Next up...

3. Put together a GHB for dh's car

4. Continue with pantry reorganization.

Taxes and finishing the refurbishing of the chicken pen. I've taken off some time from work to sort things out, do my taxes, and look for a new job.

DS1 and DS2 are at the dentist now. I suspect this will wipe out the credit card I sent them with, and I hope the card is adequate. Over the last two days I have moved some beans. rice, and small pasta/couscous out of collapsed and buckled 2-liter bottles to stackable 3-liter bottles with thicker walls. There are some bottles that were packed too solidly to collapse, and those I'm keeping as-is. Need more three-liter bottles, though, and the guy I was getting them from has moved to another office. I'll probably move the rest to canning jars today or tomorrow. That way I have a supply of canning jars and a supply of food that takes up only one space.

I can use the income tax refund to wipe out my credit card debt and pay the property tax. That would be good.

Still trying to get someone to come put in a low water crossing and new driveway. Then will list with a new realtor. Right now I'm trying to fence off another paddock of about 2 acres so my buck can come home. I have several jr does to breed and a couple that need to grow more so can't really just let him run with all the does. Also need to get the pig butchered soon. Kidding season starting and I need to sell as many kids as possible to lessen my work load.

• 3 weeks later...

On Jan 1 I wrote:

NEXT TWO GOALS:

1) ....might take a while but we're saving for a second vehicle so I'm not trapped up at the house and risking trying to walk up steep hill after nightly chores down at the barn.

2)....Well, it's time for another stock-up at the grocery. Don't want to be caught short on replenishing things if something goes down fast. :shopping:

3 ) And it's time to eliminate the STACKS of catalogs I get in the pre-Christmas push to sell. Aiieeee, they stack up fast. :reading:

[yeah, I can count. I'm listing three] :lol:

#1 :cele: DONE! :amen: Thank YOU, God! :wub: my van!

#2 :shopping: Done...but this is a repeating one. We went; we spent; but it didn't do much for stocking up. More like a fill-in-holes shopping trip. Still need to do a stocking up type shopping.

#3 :yar: The most I did for this goal [cuz I count #2 as continuous...kind] is move several stacks so the living room looked better when someone was coming over. I separated out types of catalogs (still laying in stacks in a different room) and dealt with paperwork to throw or put away. Minor progress. One stack is in danger of avalanche :puzzledsmile:

So....I guess I've still got

1....shopping to stock up, hopefully.

2...clear stacks...continue organizing any-and-EVERYwhere.

:sigh: That doesn't sound exciting at all.

(cheating again...cuz this sounds more fun)

3......order some heirloom (open pollination) garden seeds! :D

MtRider :reading::lois:

1) get containers for water (I saw some nice ones on The Ready Store website)

2) make meals-in-a-bag. I've got all of the components, I just lack the space to store the bags once made up. It's easier for the time being having each item neatly in their cans and cases neatly stacked. For the life of me, i can't think of a rodent proof, efficient way to store them once they're assembled. I've got my dehydrated vegetables in mylar, in a Rubbermaid container (the size you could fit a body in!) - but there's soooo much wasted space the way the bags fit in there. I don't have the space for a bunch of those (and, they're of course not rodent proof).

Thought I'd share what we've done...these are just our 5-gallon buckets for long term storage. Not sharing the rest of the room.

post-9087-0-68544200-1390426711_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-05140500-1390426721_thumb.jpg

Like DS, I want to put my solar oven out and try some new recipes in it. With all the erratic weather I haven't been able to set it out. Second one will "probably" be planting more lettuce, radishes & spinach as well as more carrots to backup the current square. My additional 8 trays for my dehydrator came in over the weekend (plus their accompanying mesh & fruit trays) so I'll have 16 trays high on my big dehydrator and six available on my smaller one. And guess what! When sorting out storage tubs that we brought down from the Little House, we found a brand new still in the box Nesco dehydrator (a small one like the one I have) and a couple of boxes of trays! I couldn't hardly believe it! Mountain Man was such an emergency preparedness person! He had this stuck in a tote and had forgotten it was even there...LOL That will make four dehydrators that I can have if I need them. I think I'll leave this new one in it's box in case one of my other "work horses" decides to give up the ghost.

Wanted to edit some typo's! LOL

Accomplished.

Adding (or revising) my two...perhaps 2a and 2b? LOL Anyway, additional ear wash liquid & allergy tabs for Abby-girl. New items we'll need to have plenty of. Very grateful that the allergy tabs are generic's from WM because the ear wash is $30 a bottle.

Accomplished.

OK, now another two...#1 to put together the makings of our "Wonder Oven" that we've had sitting for nearly 2 months. #2 Get rice buckets put together.

uh...wonder oven still waiting...I need to drag out my sewing machine, and it's buried! Rice buckets...accomplished!