MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Holiday Is Over

:hi:

Darn, it went too fast.

112+ degrees here today. The BBQ was registering a balmy 120 degrees F. Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter and I hope to be able to dry/hickory smoke the 12 trout we caught this past week. :woohoo:

I have been saving, and saving, and saving, and saving! I called the local (20 mi. round trip.) appliance store, and they finally had a washer that was NOT energy saver! Cost all I had saved, but.......

I did 12 loads of laundry today, including quilts! The "new" washer we had gotten a year ago (?... need to find the thread I started in the 'Comsumer' forum....) ...well, it took, at least, an hour or two to finish one load. There are "pauses" between cycles. And... if.... perchance the load is unbalanced, and ... you don't notice at first... the machine will refill itself, agitate and attempt to drain and spin again. A n d ... if you still fail to notice again.... it will do it again! 4 hour load of clothes..... REALLY energy saving machinery! N O T !!!!

Anyway, I am so very very grateful to God for providing our NEEDS! You can only imagine....

How did your week go?

Oh......

bth, I forgot to mention....

Keira Criystal-Anne was born on Memorial Day, weighting almost 10 lbs! Such a wonderful 'granddaughter', (She's the closest person we will have to a granddaughter and vice versa.) Black hair, blue eyes, and legs and arms/fingers that stretch to the heavens! DH is already threatening to "spoil" her. LOL!!!

God is good!

and I am content!

Congratulations on the new little one in your life :bdaycake: Keira Criystal-Anne :bdaycake:

That heat is something I don't think I could handle. When we hit the low 90's I was feeling it, the humidity was the worst of it I think.

Oh, those energy saving machines drive me batty. Before we moved here, we had a washer/dryer hookup in our former apartment, and when we bought a new washer, the delivery guy said how inefficient they really are - he wasn't a fan either, not just with that aspect, but with the durability and longevity of the new machines.

Everything seems to be changing though. Things that used to last forever are not what they used to be if you buy them today -- like the Kitchen AId mixers. When I bought mine back in 2001-2002-ish, I thought I'd have it forever and ever (it works okay, though it has some moments where it seems to be protesting). Then just last week I was watching a YouTube video on them, and some issues popping up, and in the info box it noted the reason: back in 1986 the original company sold the name to Whirlpool. I wish I could find a pre-1986 model -- my understanding is that those were made a lot better, to last and last. So you can't even trust a "trusted" name brand anymore because the name is pretty much the only thing that seems to stay the same.

Edited by lumabean
Congratulations on the new little one in your life :bdaycake: Keira Criystal-Anne :bdaycake:

That heat is something I don't think I could handle. When we hit the low 90's I was feeling it, the humidity was the worst of it I think.

Oh, those energy saving machines drive me batty. Before we moved here, we had a washer/dryer hookup in our former apartment, and when we bought a new washer, the delivery guy said how inefficient they really are - he wasn't a fan either, not just with that aspect, but with the durability and longevity of the new machines.

Everything seems to be changing though. Things that used to last forever are not what they used to be if you buy them today -- like the Kitchen AId mixers. When I bought mine back in 2001-2002-ish, I thought I'd have it forever and ever (it works okay, though it has some moments where it seems to be protesting). Then just last week I was watching a YouTube video on them, and some issues popping up, and in the info box it noted the reason: back in 1986 the original company sold the name to Whirlpool. I wish I could find a pre-1986 model -- my understanding is that those were made a lot better, to last and last. So you can't even trust a "trusted" name brand anymore because the name is pretty much the only thing that seems to stay the same.

Yeah, and for me it makes a good argument to just buy a cheapy because I know it's only going to last a certain length of time. My washer is an old model that I bought used after my "new front loader" threw in the towel. My dryer is newer since it was bought with the front loader, and it has a stainless steel barrel but I've never seen a dryer so capable of grabbing a sock or something between the fins etc., and the item doesn't get dried just wrinkled & damp! And the biggie...finding a repairman these days! They're almost non-existent!

Congratulations on the little one!! What kind of washer did you get?

We bought a Speed Queen washer top-loader last year and I love it. It's not energy efficient, doesn't have the new electronics of most washers and looks like it's from the early 80s. But, Speed Queens are actually Made the the USA (Wisconsin). Some of the others that say "Made in USA" are actually just assembled here. And...our stuff comes out very clean (I really noticed the difference with our socks and DH's work jeans) and rinsed clean. That's the brand in alot of the laundry mats around here, so I figure they got to be durable. It also doesn't have hidden cheap pot metal for me to have allergic reactions to! :darlenedance: I'm boycotting GE forever for that one.

Luma, Whirlpool also bought Maytag just a few years back. I was talking to people at the local appliance store. The used to be just a Maytag store. So Whirlpool bought Maytag and are making some really junk washers and putting the Maytag name of them. Then people are buying the Maytag washers, thinking it's a sturdy Maytag. It's NOT. The appliance store is no longer a Maytag store because of this.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary