MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Just wondering, if you put a few grains of 'pickle crisp' (less than an 1/8 tsp.) into your pints of veggies, will they stay a little firmer after they are canned? :scratchhead:

I'm thinking asparagus, green beans, beets or carrots.

Edited to clarify:

I'm talking about plain veggies not pickled ones.

Edited by Jeepers

what is it? I've never canned, but I have a preference for pickled jalepenos and cucumbers that are crisp vs soggy. I wondered why the difference.

Here is a picture of the jar. A little goes a long long way. You can get it where most canning supplies are sold. I got mine at Wal-Mart.

I used it with my pickle spears (baby cukes) and they are just a little softer than store bought. To be honest, I don't think I used enough of the pickle crisp when I made them. It was my first time using it. I know I'll use a little more this year. Probably between 1/8 or 1/4 tsp. per half pint.

http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-pickle-crisp-granules-5-5-oz/shop/382751/#itemDescription

You can also buy it in bulk from brewing supply companies. I did - and shared it among people who took our canning classes. It was around $4 for a huge bag, almost 4-6 times more than what you would buy with the 'brand name' in the jar. Works the same - just cheaper! :)

The pickles (cukes) I did were a little softer than store bought at first. But when I put them in the fridge, they turned out just like the store bought ones.

I used the Mrs. Wages stuff and Pickle Crisp. This year I'm going to cut back on the water just a tad and add a little more pickle crisp to the jars. I canned the spears in half pint jars. One of those little containers of P.C. will last me years and years. I don't think I added even 1/16 tsp. per half pint. I was afraid it would alter the taste. It didn't. This year I'm going to add a scant 1/8 tsp.

Also, I bought the cucumbers so I have no idea how old they really were.

Next week I'm going to do asparagus and I'm going to add the Pickle Crisp. My thinking is it might stay a little firmer. :shrug:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.