MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
sassenach

Crayon candles....... they burn for 30 minutes

A new prep item.

A box of crayons and a lighter is all you need.

Regular sized crayons can be lit at the tip and stuck on a plate or a rock or in a can for candle holder with a bit of dripped wax as an anchor......

They will burn for 30 minutes as the paper surrounding them is the wick. post-3311-0-92500800-1371065723_thumb.jpg

Nice easy little trick!

A great example of something repurposed that might sit right in front of your nose....and you'd never think of it! Easy to put into EDC and BOB.

Raid garage sale for old crayons! AND.....FIRE STARTERS!!!! You could use them for starting :campfire:

MtRider -- :thumbs:

Brilliant! I'd love to do a 'test' of different varieties of crayons. :) What a fun camping project for a family!

yep. I have not had kids around for a long time so crayons were out of the picture but I want to stock up now, lol. I want to test the jumbo size ones too. Please realize it produces a high full flame when burning. Yes they certainly would be good fire starters too for nervous fingers in a tired, whacky, frightening emotionally and physically day too.

I pint jar, sand and a long barbeque lighter would provide a stable safer light with a regular crayon lit as a candle if you have a jar handy. Hang with wire and you have a lantern.

Wal-Mart and other stores put their school supplies on sale in late July, early Aug. I've been able to pick them up for .15 - 25 a box depending on the brand. Might be a good time to stock up on a few boxes.

Sorry -

BUT it looks to be a very unstable flame and seeing it is so skinny be very careful where you put it as it can fall over (even if you have it in something).

I also worry about the fumes and does it 'smoke' bad? Like if you wanted to use it in a small room (or tent)?

So before you go out and buys boxes of them - get 1 box and test them out , more important if you get the cheap ones.

Have 14 boxes of crayons that when the time to use them you find out they don't work is NOT a good idea!

Better safe than sorry.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I reccomend a pint canning jar and sand to stick it into and a long lighter for fire starting to use them even outside. Or put in a big bowl of sand or on rocks where if it tips over it won't reach flammable materials. I tend to think of this as an outside method for light when you don't want a full fire.

You can also use salt as a base if you don't have sand. Crayons are something I have a lot of. Will have to test it out. I think only for use outside as well.

Plenty of safe uses for this idea! Just use your head....as with ALL aspects of prepping. It is about SURVIVAL, afterall.

MtRider :campfire: <----don't want ANY of those in the whole state of Colorado right now, BTW! Just sayin'.....

that's such a great idea, esp. with the safety tips of the jar and sand/salt to keep them upright.

our Wal-Mart had boxes of crayons for 20 cents last year, I hope they do again this year.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.