MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Heat issues-quiz and tips?

http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/2013/05/29/how-to-avoid-a-heat-stroke/

As usual, trying to anticipate the exact way the questions are worded..... <_<

But it's timely data for these heat waves. Be careful out there, friends! [well, those of you who aren't RAINING CONSTANTLY! ]

MtRider -----any other tips for keeping safely cool? :knary:

Edited by Mt_Rider
horrific spelling :)

Missed three. 70%

Salt: The military side of our family always carried salt tabs during the heat.

Going straight into air conditioning: We've seen countless people collapse from shock and have to go to the hospital when they went straight into the air conditioning after being out in the heat.

"Almost always" got me on Q10 about the warning signs of heat stroke. I have had two incidents of heat stroke which had no onset warning signs. We were out, I felt fine, functioning perfect and instantly blacked out. Thank God for my DH knowing what to do.

If you are in the heat and have no way of cooling off, wetting your hair, clothing, and finding shade helps, however, some wet clothing can hold the heat in creating a greater risk.

We have little hand pump personal misters we carry in the vehicles, just in case.

Wet + air movement in drier climates = Evaporative Cooling.

In really humid climates....not so much tho.

Salt recommended in the 'olden' days, but with the easy access to Gatorade-type products, I've heard they are preferred. :shrug: Myself, I eat tater chips in summer.

I had the same reservations with entering frigid A/C if already very hot. Yes and no. A light cloth/shirt draped loosely over the person might make them feel less shocky in the first couple minutes. And not in the direct wind tunnel of frigid air...initially if it bothers them. But go for all the cooling you can get after a few minutes. MUST COOL QUICKLY!

I HATE THE COOLING PROCESS WHEN I'VE GOTTEN TOOOOO HOT.

Yet I've given permission for anyone to dump me in the horse tank if they can't get a coherent response from me. I meant it literally. You have such little time before damage in extreme heat emergencies. I have personally dumped cold water over my own head. [ALWAYS carrying water]

But.....a paramedic friend was sure in the next few moments I was having a seizure. MS or whatever, the next thing that happens is that I go into uncontrolled tremor/shaking/muscle spasms over whole body. Extremely uncomfortable but, since mine isn't a seizure, it is not fatal like the heat emergency will be. :shrug: I finally put it on my medical alert bracelet so I could shove that wrist at a paramedic to allay their fears. :P They kinda freak out when a seized person begins to speak calmly and sensibly to them while jerking and twitching quite violently. :whistling:

Mine reads MS/Extreme overheating Cool me fast Spasms are not seizures

Sheesh, Annarchy. No-Warning heat stroke? :0327: That IS bad. YOU ought to be wearing a medical bracelet .....seeing how you're in AZ. Yeah? There is ZERO TIME to waste with something like that. Aiieee!

Ah summer...... :behindsofa:

MtRider -- page four of the 2 Preps thread has been hijacked :busted: with some heat issue data......

Edited by Annarchy
fix html code

Well, I gonna die... I flunked the last quiz and now I flunked this one. Since I am out everyday working in the garden, putting up fence, etc., I guess I should go ahead and lay down.

:wormie2:

John

((((((WormGuy))))))

Don't feel bad. I've lived in the extreme heat for over ___ years and thought I'd score good on the test. But yes, rest is good when you been out in the heat... and a cold shower.

Heat exhaustion is usually the first sign the body is not handing the heat. Weakness, sweating stops, light headed, shaking, then, vision becomes blurred, breathing becomes spastic, head starts to throb and speech begins to slur. (Not a doctor's way of putting it.)

If heat exhaustion is untreated, the body turns to heat stroke shutting everything down.

Yeah, Mt_Rider, medical bracelets are a life saver. Thanks to my DH I've woken up in ice bathes, including half the ice chest dumped in my bra. :runcirclsmiley2:

I have learned, I can be out in the heat for a limited time, then I must find some way to cool down.

I get horribly overheated. When I am, I CANNOT feel the fan and the room may be 70 degrees, but it feels like over 100. Can't breath and sweat profusely. This seems to be adrenal gland related. If I am in a room that is already hot or if I'm outside working, especially if I'm in the sun or tucked up under a warm goat milking, I come close to passing out. The humidity is so high here that wetting myself down doesn't help in the least. All I can do is try to get back inside in the a/c asap. Sometimes it is nearly impossible to get inside in time. We are running 100+ already here.

When you stop sweating....it's turned serious. But it's serious way before that. If someone is dry and hot [something that is hard to tell in the arid West ] you have very little time.

MtRider :pray: that Annarchy and CGA will be safe!

............................... and if you ever had a heat stroke ( I have ) you are more likely to get it again so be very careful!

I can NOT take the heat any more like I used too and I also make sure I have things along - just in case.

If you know you will be outside in the heat taking something before will help and/or have something ready for when you get back.

when I am out in the sun (gardening or working on jobsite or Farmers Market, or flea market, etc.) I drink LOTS of water and also have my gater-aid or other drink / juice ready just in case.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

years ago I did a big (outside ) Clown job at a campground (we also camped there that weekend) and after a few hours out in the sun (fully dressed and covered in make-up) even stopping during shows to drink water it still got me again! So after we got back to the site I knew I had to do something so we went swimming in the pool to try and cool off. After eating I Still felt bad so I went swimming again and then back at site tried to lie down and rest but Lori knew I was bad so we went back into the pool. I got so bad during the night we had to leave camp and drive home 50+ miles. BUT I had to do the drinking as it was a stick shift 'clown car' and Lori can't drive stick. So I was me driving (well trying) and her saying go left. . . . go right . . . .stop sign! slow down . . . go faster . . . .right! ALL THE WAY home - I never know how we made it and I have never remembered the drive.

Turns out when I thought I was helping myself by swimming I was blocking my sweat glades with the chorrine and without washing it off between swims I was just making things worse! I almost died from it as it took day and days to rehydrate my body again! I did learn as I hate IV needles and will NEVER do that again. IF I had only taken a shower instead – who knew?

Good point about the chlorine, AH. And, yes, once you have experience heat exhaustion and heat stroke, it makes you very susceptible to having it occur again.

I was chatting with DH about this thread and the questions I missed. He commented that these type of tests are generally created by people who do not live in the extreme heat.

Regarding Salt:

DH mentioned that if you are out hiking/camping, or working, where you are not eating or have access to man made products like Gatorade, you would need the salt. Almost every time, during his swat team training, (running miles and exercising in the sun and heat wearing black clothing), he would come home with white crusted clothing where sweating leached out the salt. The need to replenish it required the teams had salt tabs on hand issued by their medical department.

CGA, don't push yourself Lady. It's too easy to overlook how you feel because it would only take a couple more minutes to finish what you are doing. But, I'm sure, you already know that.

:knary:

I try, Ann, but when the goats have gone walkies in Mordor and the orcs are rumbling, I have to get them home. Unfortunately the neighbor refuses to be decent about anything and the pigs make so many holes under fences that I cannot always keep the goats where they belong. Also hard to stop the milk routine and go in to cool down. Have to keep going till done.

I do drink a good pint of water before heading out, unless it is urgent, drop and run to rescue the goats before the orcs show up. I keep telling them they are goats, not hobbits, elves or dwarves, and just because Maynard has an ancestor named Gandalf doesn't mean he is a wizard or can protect them and not to follow him thru the back gate!

LOL @ CGA and her hooligan critters. Not so funny about the Orc-neighbors. <_<

Chlorine blocks pores? I didn't know that. Not that 'being dumped into swimming pool' has been an option for me in the past couple decades. [just the aforementioned horse tank] :D

Annarchy, I think you're right on the difference in our arid areas. You have it worse than up here at 9,000'!! If we're talking Bug Out....salt packs better than Gatorade. Tho there is a powder.... But if someone is going to pack salt tablets, make sure you familiarize yourself with how to use them.

MtRider -- good tips and discussion!

Edited by Mt_Rider
He sounds as bad and stubborn as this old lady.

Definitely stubborn.... LOL

DH & I have been discussing this thread. He brought up the fact that before electricity... our forefathers learned to acclimate to the heat, to rest during the hot part of the day and would do most of their work in the early mornings and late evenings.

In our area, there used to be a river, which explains one way how they survived here in the 1800's.

Sometimes you have no choice like monday when the goats made a new low spot in the fence and were going out. I HAD to go out in 104* and work in the sun to repair it and fix it so they couldn't trample it down. Also had to repair 2 more pig holes under the fence. Normally I don't work outside in that heat, but sometimes it can't be avoided. Also, in midsummer the "cool" time of day isn't particularly cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that heat stress can cause you to have poor judgement so that you say and do things you would not normally do. That includes NOT getting up and moving to a cooler location when you are overheated. You can get sluggish and find it difficult to seek a better environment even though you know better. Try to avoid sitting down in the living room when it is so hot your skin burns as you step into the room. Don't even sit down in front of the computer, just keep walking till you are in the a/c. 112 is nothing to play around with.

Be aware that heat stress can cause you to have poor judgement so that you say and do things you would not normally do. That includes NOT getting up and moving to a cooler location when you are overheated. You can get sluggish and find it difficult to seek a better environment even though you know better. Try to avoid sitting down in the living room when it is so hot your skin burns as you step into the room. Don't even sit down in front of the computer, just keep walking till you are in the a/c. 112 is nothing to play around with.

:thumbs: You are absolutely right!

Regardless where you are, if the heat gets to you, you rarely know it. You tend to think you are OK. The lethargy makes you feel like you can handle it. Then, the 'tiredness' makes you, 'just want to go to sleep'. In those conditions, with that mind set, you could die.