MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dangerous plant causes burns, blindness

http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/news/indiana/dangerous-plant-causes-burns-blindness1371659285993

Dangerous plant causes burns, blindness

Updated: Wednesday, 19 Jun 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 18 Jun 2013, 3:46 PM EDT

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - A dangerous plant is popping up in some parts of Indiana. It is called "giant hogweed" and The Department of Natural Resources is warning Hoosiers to avoid the plant.

Philip Marshall, Division Director for the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Division of Entomology & Plant Pathology says giant hogweed isn’t deadly but it can cause blindness and severe skin irritation just from touching it.

“We are trying to get rid of it," Marshal said. "It has a big flower and there are a lot of look alikes.”

Marshall says oil from the plant, plus exposing your skin to sunlight can cause blistering. The sap in giant hogweed is clear and watery, but it contains toxins that cause photo-dermatitis, a skin reaction to ultraviolet rays.

Marshal says if you see something that you suspect may be giant hogweed, call the DNR hotline at 1-866-NO EXOTIC (1-866-663-9684).

So far, authorities have only found the plant in northern Indiana’s St. Joseph County and Kosciusko County. Marshal says they’ve also been discovered near railroad tracks.

The plant, which is normally recognizable by its height and white flowers, doesn’t blend in.

If you do if you come in contact with the plant, flush the area with water.

https://www.google.com/search?q=giant+hogweed&client=firefox-a&hs=cV6&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Z1XDUaLdDsHQrgHgqoDQAw&ved=0CJ4BEIke&biw=1280&bih=857

Luma, I probably would have too.

One year I went to an aunts house and she let me dig up some really pretty plants to bring home and start. Long story short...it was poison sumac. Lawsy, I was a mess. I'm highly allergic to poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. I had it from the top of my head to the tops of my feet and everywhere in between. Did I mention I was a mess!? :icon19:

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like something we have out here in So. Cal called "poodle dog brush"

The hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail have to be very carful of it as it grows where a fire has just been and will cause pains and respiratory problems if even just brushed up on it.

Robie

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nwcb.wa.gov/detail.asp?weed=62

admin%5CWeedImages%5Cgianthogweed2.jpgFamily: Apiaceae

Other common names: giant cow parsley

Weed Class: A

Year Listed: 1991

Native to: The Caucasus mountains and southwestern Asia

Toxic: humans

Hey Becca, look at this quote:

In 2011, Maine state horticulturists, describing the plant as "Queen Anne's lace on steroids"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogweed,_Giant

So I looked up this family of plants [mentioned by Goatherder] in my reference guide.

Yeah, Queen Anne's Lace, carrots [2nd year growth? or wild], cow parsnips, and.............{gulp} hemlock, are all characterized by that "umbrella" thingie shape [called 'umbels]. Umbelliferae or Apiaceae . Parsely or Carrot family.

Odd about this family:

Some are foods and spices: carrot, parsnips, celery, coriander, caraway, anise, parsley, dill

Several more have edible parts: Queen Anne's Lace, [Water and Cow Parsnip have edible parts but look SO much like hemlock that it's not generally advised],

Some are so very deadly or nasty burns: Hemlock, this Giant Hogweed

I'd like to know how this family might cross pollinate with each other. Say, if one were to try for carrot seeds by letting some grow a second year and you have Queen Anne's Lace nearby. ...Or hemlock? :o

We have either cow parsnip or......hemlock. [for years I thought hemlock was a tree....]

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider