MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Odd Tips....what have you discovered?

For a first entry in the Odd Tips category - I present "Expedient Sink Cleanser"

OK, take this seriously or not but.....

I discovered accidently that human hair, like a few long strands of mine after I've used the hair dryer over the bathroom sink, is just abrasive enough to scour out the sink. :shrug:

Anyone else had an ODD Tip?

MtRider :rolleyes:

If you have almost all the goats back thru the gate, but the last 1 or 3 are hanging just out of reach and will NOT come thru; get all the other goats away from the gate and out of sight and hide where the ones outside can't see you. They will quickly come crying after you and you can run slam the gate shut.

To drive a not terribly tame cow, turn her until she faces the direction you want her to go in, then approach from a little behind four o'clock or a little to the side of five o'clock. She will usually walk directly ahead to maintain distance from you.

To turn a cow, come at her from as close as possible to three or nine o'clock. She will usually turn to face you. If she ignores you, blow a raspberry or make another unusual noise. If you need to turn her some more, back off and repeat from her new three or nine.

Edited by Ambergris

I didn't know horses or dogs like mints ~ wonder what other things animals like ... my cat is always begging, I indulge him when it's something bland, but at times he turns his nose LOL I guess my cooking isn't that great to him :P

Not sure if this fits as being odd, but it was new/unique to me .... I read that you can put the drip pans from the stove burners in a bag with a bit of ammonia, and leave for a few hours - overnight, and the grime should wipe off. I tried it -- and it worked (I had some burned on gunk I couldn't scrub off no matter I tried, but this came right off). It's supposed to work on baking pans too -- just be mindful that they don't have a coating :whistling: or it will bubble up and peel off ... yes, I learned that the hard way ... had to toss three baking sheets ... maybe it's for the better though, I wanted to get away from the nonstick anyway LOL).

Do not give cats anything with garlic or onions in it, like powdered garlic in food you eat yourself. I make some plain beef or chicken or fish just for the sake of tidbits for Miss Macy when I cook stuff. She loves beef and would eat my jerky too when I make it but found out they should not have garlic and onion because it acts like a nerve toxin which the symptoms may not be noticeable to the average human until they are not able to breathe anymore. She does love vienna sausage though and while I know that has flavorings, she does get away with a bite or two if I have opened up a can .

When crocheting, if the hook starts to get sticky from your hands , just run it through your hair a few times, it will slide nicely through the yarn again!!

Dawn dish soap. The blue one. Kills fleas. Use it like shampoo on your dog, leave it on for a few minutes and rinse. All the dead fleas will wash right off

When pulling tough, perennial weeds, first wet the ground so the root is looser. If it won't come, get the machete and chop along one side, slicing thru the roots. If it still won't come slice thru on the other side. It will nearly always come out with two sides of the roots cut. Then you can usually take the machete and flip the two sides up and out of the ground.

I didn't know horses or dogs like mints ~ wonder what other things animals like ... my cat is always begging, I indulge him when it's something bland, but at times he turns his nose LOL I guess my cooking isn't that great to him :P

Not sure if this fits as being odd, but it was new/unique to me .... I read that you can put the drip pans from the stove burners in a bag with a bit of ammonia, and leave for a few hours - overnight, and the grime should wipe off. I tried it -- and it worked (I had some burned on gunk I couldn't scrub off no matter I tried, but this came right off). It's supposed to work on baking pans too -- just be mindful that they don't have a coating :whistling: or it will bubble up and peel off ... yes, I learned that the hard way ... had to toss three baking sheets ... maybe it's for the better though, I wanted to get away from the nonstick anyway LOL).

Philbe just learned somthing new...plus learning that she didn't have any ammonia in the house! Off shopping I must go!

When crocheting, if the hook starts to get sticky from your hands , just run it through your hair a few times, it will slide nicely through the yarn again!!

That also works well with needles when you are sewing.

That might be dangerous for Philbe, might stick her scalp! LOL

Works on diaper pins also.

I forgot I used to do that with my twin borther's diaper pins!!! LOL ~ memories.

Found a list of 51 odd uses for WD-40 on a Reader's Digest site.

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-amazing-uses-for-wd-40/?v=print

I will only list the ones that I think are "useful" to self-sufficiency:

4. Exterminate roaches and repel insects: Don’t let cockroaches, insects, or spiders get the upper hand in your home. • Keep a can of WD-40 handy, and when you see a roach, spray a small amount directly on it for an instant kill. • To keep insects and spiders out of your home, spray WD-40 on windowsills and frames, screens, and door frames. Be careful not to inhale the fumes when you spray and do not do this at all if you have babies or small children at home.

12. Keep wasps from building nests: Don’t let yellow jackets and other wasps ruin your spring and summer fun. Their favorite place to build nests is under eaves. So next spring mist some WD-40 under all the eaves of your house. It will block the wasps from building their nests there.

21. Relieve bee sting pain: For fast relief of pain from a bee, wasp, or hornet sting, reach for the WD-40 can and spray it directly on the bite site. It will take the “ouch” right out.

5. Remove chewing gum from hair: It’s one of an adult’s worst nightmares: chewing gum tangled in a child’s hair. You don’t have to panic or run for the scissors. Simply spray the gummed-up hair with WD-40, and the gum will comb out with ease. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area when you spray and take care to avoid contact with the child’s eyes.

39. Remove burrs from horse: To remove burrs from a horse’s mane or tail without tearing its hair out (or having to cut any of its hair off!) just spray on some WD-40. You’ll be able to slide the burrs right out. This will work for dogs and cats, too.

Prevention of above scenario----------------

51. Kill thistle plants: Don’t let pesky prickly weeds like bull and Russian thistle ruin your yard or garden. Just spray some WD-40 on them and they’ll wither and die.

40. Protect horses hooves: Winter horseback riding can be fun if you are warmly dressed but it can be downright painful to your horse if ice forms on the horseshoes. To keep ice from forming on horseshoes during cold winter rides, spray the bottom of the horse’s hooves with WD-40 before you set out.

Works for YOU too--------

49. Keep shovel or chute snow free: Here is a simple tip to make shoveling snow quicker and less strenuous by keeping the snow from sticking to your shovel and weighing it down. Spray a thin layer of WD-40 on the shovel blade, and the snow will slide right off. If you have a snow thrower, spray WD-40 on the inside of the chute so snow won’t stick and clog the chute.

13. Remove doggie-doo: Uh-oh, now you’ve stepped in it! Few things in life are more unpleasant than cleaning doggie-doo from the bottom of a sneaker, but the task will be a lot easier if you have a can of WD-40 handy. Spray some on the affected sole and use an old toothbrush to clean the crevices. Rinse with cold water and the sneakers will be ready to hit the pavement again. Now, don’t forget to watch where you step!

(might work for other types of pooh also?)

6. Remove tough scuff marks: Those tough black scuff marks on your kitchen floor won’t be so tough anymore if you spray them with WD-40. Use WD-40 to help remove tar and scuff marks on all your hard-surfaced floors. It won’t harm the surface, and you won’t have to scrub nearly as much. Remember to open the windows if you are cleaning a lot of marks.

32. Remove marker and crayon marks: Did the kids use your wall as if it was a big coloring book? Not to worry! Simply spray some WD-40 onto the marks and wipe with a clean rag. WD-40 will not damage the paint or most wallpaper (test fabric or other fancy wall coverings first). It will also remove marker and crayon marks from furniture and appliances.

27. Clean carpet stains: Don’t let ink or other stains ruin your fine carpet. Spray the stain with WD-40, wait a minute or two, and then use your regular carpet cleaner or gently cleanse with a sponge and warm, soapy water. Continue until the stain is completely gone.

29. Clean your fridge: When soap and water can’t get rid of old bits of food stuck in and around your refrigerator, it’s time to reach for the WD-40. After clearing all foodstuffs from the areas to be treated, spray a small amount of WD-40 on each resistant spot. Then wipe them away with a rag or sponge. Make sure you wash off all the WD-40 before returning food to the fridge.

8. Clean toilet bowls: You don’t need a bald genie or a specialized product to clean ugly gunk and lime stains from your toilet bowl. Use WD-40 instead: Spray it into the bowl for a couple of seconds and swish with a nylon toilet brush. The solvents in the WD-40 will help dissolve the gunk and lime.

15. Remove strong glue: You didn’t wear protective gloves when using that super-strong glue and now some of it is super-stuck to your fingers! Don’t panic. Just reach for the WD-40, spray some directly on the sticky fingers, and rub your hands together until your fingers are no longer sticky. Use WD-40 to remove the glue from other unwanted surfaces as well.

23. Clean dried glue: Clean dried glue from virtually any hard surface with ease: Simply spray WD-40 onto the spot, wait at least 30 seconds, and wipe clean with a damp cloth.

45. Revive spark plugs: Can’t get your car to start on a rainy or humid day? To get your engine purring, just spray some WD-40 on the spark-plug wires before you try starting it up again. WD-40 displaces water and keeps moisture away from the plugs.

24. Degrease your hands: When you’re done working on the car and your hands are greasy and blackened with grime, use WD-40 to help get them clean. Spray a small amount of WD-40 into your hands and rub them together for a few seconds, then wipe with a paper towel and wash with soap and water. The grease and grime will wash right off.

18. Keep wooden tool handles splinter free: No tools can last forever, but you can prolong the life of your wood-handled tools by preventing splintering. To keep wooden handles from splintering, rub a generous amount of WD-40 into the wood. It will shield the wood from moisture and other corrosive elements and keep it smooth and splinter-free for the life of the tool.

28. Get tomato stains off clothes: That homegrown tomato looked so inviting you couldn’t resist. Now your shirt or blouse has a big, hard-to-remove tomato stain! To remove stains from fresh tomatoes or tomato sauce, spray some WD-40 directly on the spot, wait a couple of minutes, and wash as usual.

31. Pre-treat blood and other stains: Oh no! Your kid fell down and cut himself while playing, and there’s blood all over his brand-new shirt. After you tend to the wound, give some first aid to the shirt too. Pretreat the bloodstains with WD-40. Spray some directly on the stains, wait a couple of minutes, and then launder as usual. The WD-40 will help lift the stain so that it will come out easily in the wash. Try to get to the stain while it is still fresh, because once it sets, it will be harder to get rid of. Use WD-40 to pretreat other stubborn stains on clothing, such as lipstick, dirt, grease, and ink stains.