MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lindals

Save $ make your own softsoap. No Lye needed

Want to save money????? Make your own soft soap. Cost is the price of a bar of soap. EASY....

Soft Soap:

1 gal water (.00)
1 bar of your favorite soap (grated) (.97)
Old gallon milk or water jug cleaned (.00)
Heat water to boiling, put in grated soap. Simmer till all soap flakes are melted.
Let sit over night or 12 hours. It will thicken in those hours.
Use mixer to blend and pour into bottles or jug.

Total cost .97 practically free and soooooooooooooooo easy

post-9383-0-21903300-1372343320_thumb.jpg

Thanks Lindals! Will it turn back to hard after awhile or will it stay soft? I'm thinking about the shower. I use liquid soap instead of a bar and wondered if it would stay 'pumpable'.

When our shower and hand soaps get down to a "sliver", I have a gallon jar with a plastic lid that I've accumulated them in, along with a bit of water. I now have about 1/2 a gallon and when it's a bit fuller I'll use my hand blender to blend it up. By keeping these slivers in water they soften to a mush and are very easy to blend up. Soft soap on the cheap, and all variations are welcome!

My husband and I also like the soft soap in the shower, we dislike the bars of wet soap. So this is really great for us.

So far it hasn't turned hard. Too much water to turn back hard I would think.

I am gonna make many jugs of this and put in storage. Sure does make a bar of soap go a long ways.

I love finding a bargain, not many of us have the money to buy a great amount of this or that and converting bar soap helps in this department.

I love this idea especially since i have wasteful children/step children(we are working on that) and I have a lot of soap allergies!

When our shower and hand soaps get down to a "sliver", I have a gallon jar with a plastic lid that I've accumulated them in, along with a bit of water. I now have about 1/2 a gallon and when it's a bit fuller I'll use my hand blender to blend it up. By keeping these slivers in water they soften to a mush and are very easy to blend up. Soft soap on the cheap, and all variations are welcome!

Won't be much longer and my jug will be full! LOL

I've done this. Guests think it's weird, because it doesn't sud. Suds don't mean clean, though. We've been conditioned to believe that. Mine was thin, but I added a smidge of salt, & it thickened right up. With 3 boys, cheap is guuuuud. I need to make a batch soon. I just bottled up the last of the Mrs Meyer's soaps my Mum got for us. 2 foam dispensers & one with half water, half soap & a little salt (again, for thickening).

OOPS! I just saw this. Must've been posted when I was out of town.

I'll move it to "Pinching Pennies", but leave a link.

My jug is down a bit, I shook it up & made a small batch of liquid laundry soap with it...just for grins...adding the Borax & Washing Soda. But, I like the idea of adding glycerin to help keep it together, I'll give it a shot! Normally I use the dry laundry soap ingredients, and then grate up a bar of lye soap. I also scrub stubborn stains with a bar of lye soap that I've dipped in hot water, and it's absolutely wonderful for removing stains!

And lye soap isn't that hard to make. I'd rate it no more difficult or dangerous than using a pressure cooker/canner or making candy. You do need a location with good ventilation but since the cold process works well it's not like you'd have to stay in the kitchen.. then you could use the slivers from your homemade soap to make your soft soap. :D

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.