MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Zzzappo! Prep for lightning & Flooding!

After weeeeeks of fire danger in June, Colorado [and beyond, probably] is now well into our "Monsoon" season. Not to be confused with the monsoon season like for instance, India.... But that's what we call it and it's a very welcome time of year.

However, at these altitudes, we ARE the storm. We n e v e r get rain without the crash/boom/bang of thunderstorms. People are struck and killed by lightning every summer. [we can actually have lightning in winter called, Thunder Snow....tooo weird!]

Right now the fire danger is about zero. That's for today. Give it five days without rain and we're back to drought status.....and I'm not kidding. <_<

But the dangers right now include flash flooding and lightning. If any of y'all visit out here, take these two seriously! But cuz of all that, we are gloriously GREEN and beautiful! :D

Y'all see that youtube of a car getting swept away over yonder near Colorado Springs last week? The driver HAD been driving uphill, understand. Whoooo! That was a Six Flags experience. And....it looked like only about a foot of water but he was, of course, 'rafting' downhill in the mountains! Only takes a couple inches of rushing water to knock full-grown adults permanently off their feet. Almost impossible to get up again unless you can grab something. You'd better hope road rash is all that results.

Today, we've had downpour -- gulley-washers! Tho it was still less than an inch of rain, it came down in about 20 minutes. So it cut deep crevasse in the driveway...again. I had to go out and dig [renew] some diversion ditches so it runs away from the house....not into the garage basement. DH will have to use the drag and bring some of the lost driveway back up the hill and put it into the trenches. Again!

Called DH to warn him to "watch for falling rocks" and "climb to higher ground in case of flash flood". Ahem....those are two signs you might see out here. Again -------- Take them seriously! .......Tho merely watching falling rocks doesn't seem like adequate directions, does it? :scratchhead:

And lightning. On that topic:

Does everyone unplug their electronics when leaving for vacation?

Here in ..ahem, "Lightning-ville, USA"....I unplug computers, etc when we go to bed, when we visit the neighbors, when we go to town. Seriously! But I hear that many folks don't even unplug [i don't mean just turn off] when leaving for extended times.

Then I hear that folks return [our Indiana friends] to find zapped computers. :( Ouch! That's costly.

Just a perspective from CO Mts in the monsoon season..... yikes!

MtRider -- :amen::amen::amen: THANK YOU, God for the rain, despite the challenge of flooding, crevasses, and lightning. :cele: [anything beats forest fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

We don't really get lightning on this side of the state. I can count on one hand the amount of thunderstorms I've seen since we've lived here. I still unplug everything but the fridge/freezers when not in use regardless. But floods, that's a problem. The trailer is on a hill so we haven't had to deal with it in the house but the roads are another story. That scares me.

My mother is in Denver, and she told me that they had flooded streets today. She was out in the handicapped bus, coming home from the doctors. Scared her so bad that she cancelled plans for tomorow, just in case.

I guess that they don't see it often. Here, the traffic reporter just says "flooding in the usual locations". And it is not unusual to see a roadsign with measurements marked off so that you can judge the depth of the water.

We are getting 800 lightening strikes per storm. Scarry with fire season in full force.

We finally received a storm overhead. It lasted about an hour. However, it flooded! The new sidewalk handicap accesses funneled it into our yard. I was calf deep walking around. It filled the road and then filled my yard creating a mimi 'wash' from one end of our property to another.

The only thing I do not like more than fire, are the misquotes!!! <Rant on> Why don't people dump standing water?!!!! </Rant off>

After weeeeeks of fire danger in June, Colorado [and beyond, probably] is now well into our "Monsoon" season. Not to be confused with the monsoon season like for instance, India.... But that's what we call it and it's a very welcome time of year.

However, at these altitudes, we ARE the storm. We n e v e r get rain without the crash/boom/bang of thunderstorms. People are struck and killed by lightning every summer. [we can actually have lightning in winter called, Thunder Snow....tooo weird!]

Right now the fire danger is about zero. That's for today. Give it five days without rain and we're back to drought status.....and I'm not kidding. <_<

But the dangers right now include flash flooding and lightning. If any of y'all visit out here, take these two seriously! But cuz of all that, we are gloriously GREEN and beautiful! :D

Y'all see that youtube of a car getting swept away over yonder near Colorado Springs last week? The driver HAD been driving uphill, understand. Whoooo! That was a Six Flags experience. And....it looked like only about a foot of water but he was, of course, 'rafting' downhill in the mountains! Only takes a couple inches of rushing water to knock full-grown adults permanently off their feet. Almost impossible to get up again unless you can grab something. You'd better hope road rash is all that results.

Today, we've had downpour -- gulley-washers! Tho it was still less than an inch of rain, it came down in about 20 minutes. So it cut deep crevasse in the driveway...again. I had to go out and dig [renew] some diversion ditches so it runs away from the house....not into the garage basement. DH will have to use the drag and bring some of the lost driveway back up the hill and put it into the trenches. Again!

Called DH to warn him to "watch for falling rocks" and "climb to higher ground in case of flash flood". Ahem....those are two signs you might see out here. Again -------- Take them seriously! .......Tho merely watching falling rocks doesn't seem like adequate directions, does it? :scratchhead:

And lightning. On that topic:

Does everyone unplug their electronics when leaving for vacation?

Here in ..ahem, "Lightning-ville, USA"....I unplug computers, etc when we go to bed, when we visit the neighbors, when we go to town. Seriously! But I hear that many folks don't even unplug [i don't mean just turn off] when leaving for extended times.

Then I hear that folks return [our Indiana friends] to find zapped computers. :( Ouch! That's costly.

Just a perspective from CO Mts in the monsoon season..... yikes!

MtRider -- :amen::amen::amen: THANK YOU, God for the rain, despite the challenge of flooding, crevasses, and lightning. :cele: [anything beats forest fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

Lived in California many moons ago, for a couple of years, and they had "electrical storms". Scarey!

Our area is no exception to spring storms that include lightening & thunder...and tornadic winds occasionally. Summer's usually are just "occasional" rains that can just sprinkle the dust or be real toad stranglers. As for flooding, most of that's in the numerous waterways of our area and for those that live near them...by choice.

PS...we just had a really nice "toad strangler" a few days ago that was a welcome event! The ground soaked it up like a sponge!

Edited by Philbe

Yeah, our trouble is that we have no ground to soak it up. It's rock...in solid form or crumbles. [called 'DG' for 'decomposing granite'] So with the severe mountain landscape and sometimes living within the cloud that is producing the lightning.... it's super dangerous to be without decent shelter when they come up.

tho I'm an avid weather-watcher, I've occasionally been caught on horseback..... riding like a derby contender to git home before that storm catches up to our backside. Or worse, riding INTO the front cuz I failed to look behind me as I rode. And all the wire fence lines act like lightning rods so getting horse thru the gate is terrifying. At that point I wait for a lightning strike, then shove the horse in before the next one comes. ...hopefully. Oddly, the last rain I got caught trying to outrun [didn't quite] had no lightning. :o Very rare up here. But it did have ICE-COLD raindrops. Still, it was kinda nice.

Some years ago, a motorcycle rider got hit on the helmet by lightning. Was probably dead before he and bike pitched off the road into the ravine......

Then there was the teenager who ran back to retrieve a soccer ball left on the field when the coach called them in.......[my friend knew that grieving family]. :(

Fishermen with carbon type poles attract the lightning......

Golfers.....really guys! Go have a beer or something in the clubhouse till the storm passes!

Unfortunately, we lose an average of 3 folks in the region [not the state] every year to lightning.

The rule of thumb out here is that lightning can strike HORIZONTALLY for at least 5 miles.

I think the stores who send their young workers out to parking lots to collect the carts pull them in when a storm is within 10 miles ....due to that horizontal thing.

My modem was zappped by a single strike about ....had to be at least 25 miles from here. 'Course that could have traveled thru the phone lines. But we had sunshine. My dad called just after it hit to warn me but it was already too late to unplug. That strike, which they thought was an explosion cuz of their sunshine, already fried me. :yar: .....cheating! That's what that was!

Our monsoon season has been wonderful. Rain and not smoke. Taking due care and filling in the trenches formed and reformed in the driveway. But as I've said repeatedly.... ANYTHING is better than wildfire.

MtRider :D

Edited by Mt_Rider

OK..."horizontal" might not apply to ....ahem, flatlanders. ;) I'm not sure but I do know I've never seen lightning like it is here when I lived in Iowa, Minn. or (obviously) Maui. [only saw lightning mebbe 5 times in six years in Hawaii.] Not that we didn't have wicked lightning storms in the mid-west. But not like this.

My use of the term 'horizontal' might be misleading. So I did some quick research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning

[wow - that lightning article is complicated and most of it is beyond my science knowledge]

But what I did understand was that Horizontal usually refers to 'cloud to cloud' or 'within one cloud' lightning. Not the 'cloud to ground'.

BUT...... being so high in altitude.....we ARE the cloud sometimes. Ah....I found a picture of cloud to cloud lightning and it's striking the Rocky mountains.....that's it!

http://fine-art-photography-gallery.com/cloud-to-cloud-horizontal-lightning-striking/

Also, perhaps the ten mile thing comes from a diagonal strike? Or those branching off strikes that scatter into a bunch of different strikes from the same source in the sky. There is a mighty LONG reach on those bolts! We so often have very isolated storms that you might not even SEE for the next mountain or ridge. But it could get you. If you hear it, you're supposed to be inside already. Sneaky stuff tho!!!!

Anyway, it it IS different up here. Found a site from the Rocky Mountain National Forest.....an advisory for visitors, trying to keep them safe. Mebbe that will be more clear.

http://www.rmnp.com/RMNP-Planning-Lightning.HTML

MtRider --- :wave:

Edited by Mt_Rider
link disappeared

The thing with lightening it is too late when you see it. There is no sound with it. If the hairs on your body stand up you are done for. Give me wind, down pours or as Mt. Rider said gully washers but you can keep the lightening. It is beautiful but deadly.

or as Mt. Rider said gully washers

:lol: Actually, MtRider says "gully waRshers" but you can't hear my odd accent thru the typing.

:sassing:

A term from the clay-sided farms of Iowa!

'Gully waRshers' have to be a close cousin to Philbe's 'toad stranglers'.

:laughkick:

MtRider

Edited by Mt_Rider

MT3B, we said that too. And yes, crick not creek.

When I was little, when a storm was coming, everyone always told me it was the "tater wagon" up there dropping potatoes as it rolled through. I told my son the same thing when he was little. I guess there are potatoes in heaven...who knew! Sometimes even today we will slip and say, "Here comes the tater wagon." :sHa_sarcasticlol:

This was on Deyo's site. Love our rainy season but....does come with hazards. At least no one was killed. Note the line of this article that I highlighted-- MtRider

http://gazette.com/12-fort-carson-soldiers-injured-in-colorado-lightning-strike/article/1504228

By Daniel Chacon Published: August 1, 2013 | 8:45 am

Twelve Fort Carson soldiers were hospitalized, one in critical condition, after a lightning strike Wednesday afternoon south of the Butts Army Airfield.

Five of the soldiers were released from the hospital Wednesday.

The soldiers were conducting a training exercise in a large, open field about 2 to 3 miles south of the airfield when they were notified of lightning in the area, said Maj. Earl Brown, a 4th Infantry Division spokesman.

Training was suspended at that point, and the soldiers were trying to take cover when lightning hit near them about 2:45 p.m.

"The soldiers were en route to a shelter tent, and they were in a large open area where there was no other vegetation, just a large field area," Brown said.

The injured soldiers, part of a group of about 350 involved in the training, were only about 20 yards from the tent when the lightning hit between them and the tent.

Brown said he didn't know how much warning the soldiers had before the lightning hit but that it wasn't much. The National Weather Service in Pueblo reported a few lightning strikes in the area about 2:40 p.m.

"Right now, they're going to be conducting an investigation to find out what went wrong and how do we make ourselves better so something like this doesn't happen again," Brown said.

The other soldiers participating in the exercise had taken cover or were far away enough from the lightning strike to avoid injury.

Brown said none of the soldiers suffered a direct hit.

"There were no burns or exit wounds," he said.

One of the soldiers was airlifted to Memorial Hospital Central and another was taken by ambulance.

The other 10 were taken to Evans Army Community Hospital. Five of those at Evans had been released by 8 p.m. and the others were being kept for observation, Brown said.

Brown declined to disclose the soldiers' unit, saying the Army was still notifying their families.

"Paramedics were on the scene immediately and providing triage to the soldiers that were hit," he said.

"Whenever you're on the range, you have to have a medic with you."

Brown said training in Colorado, which is among the states with the most lightning deaths and injuries, comes with inherent risks.

"Our hearts and prayers go out to the families when something like this happens, but Colorado is no stranger to lighting strikes," he said. "This is an unfortunate event."

The Army airfield is in the center of the base, just west of Fountain.

-

Contact Daniel J. Chacon 476-1623.

• 2 weeks later...

Lightening...we have our share! I always unplug all electronics when I hear the thunder. As for tornado's ... they come close enough as it is! We don't worry much about flooding, but the thought occurs to me, what does our insurance company consider "flood"???? I have heard that some companies consider flooding if your roof caves in & floods your home...or if your basement springs a leak & floods...and if you don't have flood insurance, then it's not covered. Guess maybe we need to check!?