MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

BBC wartime farms

I don't know if this has ever been posted or not. It's a great series on Youtube and was produced by BBC. I learned so much about Britain during their struggles of wartime shortages. It's also amazing how much control the govt imposed on the nation. :faint3:

I liked the term 'bonus ground'. It was the concept of turning every inch of the farm land into something that could produce a crop. :sheep:

I hope you enjoy the series as much as I have. It's a good reminder of what stays and what gets culled on a farm when war breaks out and lasts for years. :pc_coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6tVEo5wAP4&list=PLFnr4t5RkJy8pA9sD-ct5QxKOHPRa6eKX

I really like to watch those free on Youtube too! There was one called 1940's house but it was taken down for some reason. A modern family in England lived in a 1940's house and they lived and dressed just like that era. Then the war broke out and they had to build a bomb shelter, use rationing coupons and do volunteer war aide work. It was really good. Wish it was still up.

There is still;

Coal House 1927

Victorian House 1900

Texas Ranch 1867

Frontier House 1800's ?

Edwardian Farm between 1901 - 1914

Colonial House I only found one episode.

Also;

Victorian Pharmacy

I'm sure I missed some. Anyone know of more?

Edited to add

Regency House Party. A little racy though.

Edited by Jeepers

Victorian Farm. Pre Edwardian. The Beeb have all sorts of versions of the Coal House going. I think their imagination shut down at some point. Nowadays their locked into a 'celebrity traces their ancestry' phase..

My favorite thing to watch from the BBC is 'Most Haunted'. I'm not saying ghosts are real (or not!) but just watching those women shriek is entertainment!

I saw 1940s House while it was still available on youtube; always meant to order a copy. I'll have to check out the Farm.

I just started watching the Edwardian Farm on youtube. Fascinating. I'll have to check out the Coal House series next since my great-grandfather & brothers immigrated to the States from the coal mines of Wales. :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching the first episode of Wartime Farm now. Love it!

Need to make more elderberry syrup!

I like that one too. There is also a Wartime Kitchen and Garden.

I think I found one episode of that, was it a whole show?

Watching the first episode of Wartime Farm now. Love it!

Need to make more elderberry syrup!

I like that one too. There is also a Wartime Kitchen and Garden.

I think I found one episode of that, was it a whole show?

I found 3 episodes. I can't just list the link here. The whole video shows up. But here they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSCNLl74F4&list=PLaW2L70J5MKPb5ykQN5nTHDL4RJr0PVzW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P3Dq1oCiSg&list=PLaW2L70J5MKPb5ykQN5nTHDL4RJr0PVzW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioivXH5UTS0&list=PLaW2L70J5MKPb5ykQN5nTHDL4RJr0PVzW

Edited to say:

Of course after I said I couldn't link just the URL it showed up. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeepers

I found another interesting series last night. It's called "Tales From the Green Valley." It's about how people lived in 1620 on a farm in Wales. They show how people farmed and lived for one year. I haven't watched it yet so I'm not sure how good it is but it looks interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExpsU68KHd8&list=PLFnr4t5RkJy9qaosYDylAMF3dMmj21qVK

I don't know of any CG.

There is another series called "Turn Back Time - Family". It is more of a sociology series. Three families live next to each other in a 'row' type house. One has to live like the elite, one is middle class and one is very poor; in the show, not real life. Although, one is pretty wealthy IRL. Anyway, the first show is set in the Edwardian era 1900-1910. The next show they are living like Inter-War 1920-1930, next show is second WW 1940-1945, next is the 1960's and last is the 1970's.

The way they decide who lives rich, middle class or poor is according to their genealogy. The first 3 shows, it was the same three families. After the third show, the Jewish family left because their ancestors migrated from England. A black family takes their place for the rest of the series.

It's interesting to see how they fall into place and start to believe like they are really living in those times. I suppose it brings it closer to home for them because they are told about their ancestors including their names, occupation and sometimes their death.

I have a lot of shows that I'm saving for wintertime watching. Okay, I'll spare you all now and stop listing Youtube shows. :blush:

I don't know of any CG.

There is another series called "Turn Back Time - Family". It is more of a sociology series. Three families live next to each other in a 'row' type house. One has to live like the elite, one is middle class and one is very poor; in the show, not real life. Although, one is pretty wealthy IRL. Anyway, the first show is set in the Edwardian era 1900-1910. The next show they are living like Inter-War 1920-1930, next show is second WW 1940-1945, next is the 1960's and last is the 1970's.

The way they decide who lives rich, middle class or poor is according to their genealogy. The first 3 shows, it was the same three families. After the third show, the Jewish family left because their ancestors migrated from England. A black family takes their place for the rest of the series.

It's interesting to see how they fall into place and start to believe like they are really living in those times. I suppose it brings it closer to home for them because they are told about their ancestors including their names, occupation and sometimes their death.

I have a lot of shows that I'm saving for wintertime watching. Okay, I'll spare you all now and stop listing Youtube shows. :blush:

Ya better not quit listing them! LOL

The trio of presenters from the Victorian and Edwardian Farm series are coming out with Tudor Monastery Farm: Life in Rural England 500 Years Ago While searching for something else I accidently found the book that accompanies the TV show as an Amazon pre-order. Not sure when the series will air in the UK or if it already has been shown. I hope it ends up on Youtube- I've learned a lot form all the other shows.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched all 8 episodes of Texas Ranch house. Not sure really why I kept watching after episode 2... : (

That family was selfish & lazy. I liked most of the cowboys - even though they showed a bit of immaturity.

Now watching Ranch House - better - but gotta wonder how do some of these people get chosen for these shows.

Last winter I watched a lot of the shows on YouTube. Then I saw one episode where one of the guys, the one who didn't normally have anything to do with the livestock, helping the other guy take some lambs to a pen they had built. The stupid guy was dragging the lamb by his front feet. The poor little thing was screaming as it's hind feet raked over the ground. When they got to the pen and he let the lamb go, it just crumpled to the ground. It's little legs wouldn't even work. I wanted to smack him. Of course, the lamb finally got up and staggered into the pen and seemed to be fine later but his ignorance irritated me and I've never been able to watch any more of the shows. Call me stupid if you need to but that's just how I feel!