MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Old Farmers Almanac Holiday Folklore

Dee

Is the Farmer's Almanac a book? It sounds interesting, and I love these sorts of ways of forecasting the weather to come.

thick onion skins foretell a hard winter; mine were quite thick this autumn.

------------------

lowlander.jpg

I thought you might all enjoy this. I love the Farmers Almanac! Which of the folklore sounds like the weather you will be having in your area?

FOLKLORE

If the geese on St. Martin's Day (November 11) stand on ice, they will walk in mud at Christmas.

If the first snow sticks to the trees, it foretells a bountiful harvest.

If sheep feed facing downhill, watch for a snowstorm.

If on All Saints Day the beech acorn is dry we will stick behind the stove in winter, but if it is wet and not light the winter will not be dry, but wet.

Thunder in November indicates a fertile year to come.

If there be ice in November that will bear a duck, there will be nothing thereafter but sleet and muck.

As November 21st, so the winter.

When the winter is early, it will not be late.

Lengthened winter and tardy spring are both good for hay and grain, but bad for corn and garden.

December changeable and mild, the whole winter will remain a child.

A warm Christmas, a cold Easter.

A green Christmas, a white Easter.

December cold, with snow, brings rye everywhere.

------------------

reci.jpg

snoop2.gif

Reci, I looked up the almanac on Google, and there is loads of information on the site. Although it pertains to America, it has lots and lots of interesting stuff on it. Sadly I can't subscribe as I'm not in the US or Canada, but at least I can see it online. Thanks again

------------------

lowlander.jpg

The Old Farmer's Almanac is a living piece of American history and an important daily resource for everyone who wants to keep in touch with the seasons and nature. Each annual edition includes forecasts of changing consumer trends, essential gardening tips, unique recipes, entertaining features, amazing facts, and long-range weather forecasts not available anywhere else!

------------------

reci.jpg

snoop2.gif

Ed, I wasn't hinting, but I would certainly love a copy if you could get me one! I would send you the money or something else in return - please let me know, as I don't expect you to do it for nothing. What a kind thought - please let me know, and I'll send you my address etc. Although it's on the net, it's not quite the same as handling a paper copy ( and you can't read your computer in the bath!)

------------------

lowlander.jpg

Hey Lowie....i just thought of somethin....i have your address....and Ed's e-mail thingie.....want me to send it to him??

Whatcha think Ed.....i guess i should have thought of sending it instead and cutting out the middle guy......where do ya find almanacs?

deb

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

Will do......Oooooooo cranberries!!

Hey Ed.....isn't the almanac printed once a yr....the new ones not out yet right?

OOOOOOOoooooooops ...i just thought of something.......Do i have your permission Lowie?

deb

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

[This message has been edited by debbielee (edited November 18, 2002).]

• 9 years later...