MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Visiting 'home'

I think this is my hint to put BOBs together finally. We drove back to the Midwest to visit friends and family and spend our anniversary where we got married. It's a ten hour trip if rest stops are minimized and cops are sparse. First, Sweetie was out of sorts and we had a late start. Then we stopped for something we couldn't find and Sweetie had to have (not a necessity). Finally, just as we're passing Notre Dame's exit...we realize that my suitcase, packed for ten days, is still sitting at home. I tried...but I simply ended up picking up my half of the fight.

Wasn't pretty. It was after many hours of driving and nerves were frayed. If this had been an emergency? Ye gods and little fishes... :frying pan:

DH and I took a weekend trip from Mpls to Duluth for a martial arts tournament LONG ago. And my bag was left sitting by the door.

:runcirclsmiley2: I pack for a two week trip if I'm going "into town". [of course 'town' for us now is over an hour away but...]

Well, we survived. Had to buy a few duplicates that we didn't need but... :shrug:

DH has finally seen the light. He is even prepared to stay "in town" if anything should happen to The Pass while he's at work. Y'know...huge steep Rocky Mts... snow, rain, flash floods, boulders, landslides, falling road equipment..... It's all happened in the years we've lived up here in the boonies. Never thought I could get him into a real prepping mindset but......

:P ...he got old. Doesn't want to be so inconvenienced or uncomfortable in a bizarre situation. SO....make sure you can make yourself at least comfortable if something goes sideways. He finally agreed to a GetHomeBag/BOB that stays in his vehicle. It's turned out to be REALLY needed several times already.

MtRider --- y'know....REALLY! My life is too danged ...er, "interesting" to not be VERY prepared! :hidingsmile:

(((((((Hazelstone)))))))

The last funeral I went to a state away, I forgot my dress. I had everything but that. I left it hanging in the closet because I wanted to put it in the car last. Then I forgot about it. The funeral was in a small town and all they have there is a tiny Wal-Mart. I finally found some dress pants and a blouse. I take petite (AKA short) and they didn't have any. The pants ended up dragging the ground. I felt awful. The corpse looked better than I did.

*SIGH* You were at THAT exit and didn't let me know???? :sigh:

I might stop at Steak n Shake on my way back out. 8-)

But when? We're gonna be gone until Wednesday (probably get back around noon). (See my "long weekend?" post - http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48615&hl= )

If we can get online I'll check back in here while we're gone. Otherwise you'd better *play nice* with those relatives so you can come back! :)

:runcirclsmiley2: I pack for a two week trip if I'm going "into town". [of course 'town' for us now is over an hour away but...]

Well, we survived. Had to buy a few duplicates that we didn't need but... :shrug:

DH has finally seen the light. He is even prepared to stay "in town" if anything should happen to The Pass while he's at work. Y'know...huge steep Rocky Mts... snow, rain, flash floods, boulders, landslides, falling road equipment..... It's all happened in the years we've lived up here in the boonies. Never thought I could get him into a real prepping mindset but......

:P ...he got old. Doesn't want to be so inconvenienced or uncomfortable in a bizarre situation. SO....make sure you can make yourself at least comfortable if something goes sideways. He finally agreed to a GetHomeBag/BOB that stays in his vehicle. It's turned out to be REALLY needed several times already. :hidingsmile:

Amazing how many points you score with engineering or IT people by having a Leatherman in your purse or car. :P You get odd looks giving yourself a manicure with one though...

The obstacle I have to deal with is that my vehicle is the nicer one (and, having AWD, would be the BOV). I keep minor prep items in the car; it results in inconveniences like covering the auxiliary stereo port and DC outlet. Well gee...stuff to keep you from freezing vs. making it easier to plug in your MP3 player? I want to keep more water in the car; I get comments that "baked" water bottles are bad for you (so's dehydration)...and the bottles disappear.

It becomes a territory issue- MY car, but Sweetie switches stuff around when he drives it. The my stuff isn't "organized," because it gets unplugged and tossed aside on every trip more than twenty minutes. I start a new job soon with an average commute time; the car preps will be reconfigured and upgraded, and Sweetie can simply deal.