MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sunday morning ramblings

I am enjoying my morning coffee and thought I'd share a bit of what's going on in my life lately.

We finally bought a house! No more renting! Wooooooo! We haven't moved in yet. We expect to be in by the end of the month. It's a 2 story colonial built in 1922. My DH played in the house when he was a little boy. He grew up in the little house that sets behind it. It was a foreclosure so we got a great deal on it. It is partially remodeled but we still hafta do some things. It has plenty of storage room and two great pantries in the kitchen! I am looking forward to filling them up! (I've been reading some things that indicate we are gonna need to be prepared for more economic blimps in the coming months.)

There isn't much property that goes with it unfortunately. We can have a small garden spot but no livestock. The community and location greatly off set that in my opinion. We are still in the same county but on the farthest edge. Its a nice quiet community where neighbors watch out for each other! :)

I still work at a car dealership. And yes each month we have worries about me remaining employed. The stress is a constant state of being now.DH is still a LEO. DH and I have a low house payment so if I must change jobs and have lower wages we can still cover house expenses without a major worry. Yep! We are planning ahead!

Wonderful news,The houes sounds like a great deal.

Yesterday DH's BF came over to hang some blinds for me and to see if he could find what was in the basement. Dh and Son made it home and now we have to find everything DD1 forgot to pack and send it to her. Friend tripped when he was stepping off the porch and hurt his ankle.

I'm not doing much today.

Gofish-bummer about the friends hurt ankle.

We are going to haul a load of stuff to the new house today. We also need to put a coat of paint on one of the bedroom floors. The bedrooms have the old type of hardwood that must be painted.

On top of what I need to accomplish today, I have a sinus/ allergy headache. How annoying.

Been busy canning, dehydrating & freezing produce. My feet peridically feel like they are not a part of the rest of me so I've been taking it in stages. Finally quit on the peaches last night, nearly bed time! But...we drove to the orchards and they were having peaches on sale, buy one basket (peck or ?) and get one free. I bought 2 so I got 2 free. Peaches are such a wonderful treat, as are apples. But, apples aren't in yet. Last year I dehydrated apples til I was dizzy and then did alot more in applesauce. Mtn.Man is scraping some metal today and I'm getting ready to attack some more peaches and make up some peachsauce (like applesauce only with peaches) and maybe some peach jam. We did take a small break yesterday and took a motorcycle ride to Mennonite country to visit one of our favorite stores there. I'm able to buy my pint jars for $3.65 a case (no their not the name brand but these "friends" use them confidently & tell us to use common sense) so we put 2 cases in the backpack of the motorcycle. Also bought up 6 more bars of pine tar soap and 6 more bars of citronella soap. They sell it for half of what we find it at other markets. I vacume sealed several bars, but these I put into my zipper mylar bags since I plan to be in and out of them. The weather has been absolutely beautiful and I'd love to be out RV'ing but that's hard to do during harvest & processing time. We'll be glad to see all those beautiful jars come winter! LOL Abby-girl graduated to another level Friday. We left her all by her lonesome in the house while we went to visit some friends (and take them some cherry tomatoes & a couple of canteloupes) for a couple of hours. She didn't bother a thing & didn't chew up nothing, and didn't do any counter surfing that we could tell! VERY good for a lab-brat that's not yet 2 years old!? She's outside in her kennel right now 'cause her mommy needs to be peeling peaches & getting ready to can. Can't have her pretty chocolate fur in the way...LOL

Congrats on the house, Mommafitz!

I'm sneezing and itching away here. The goldenrod and ragweed are hitting me hard. :gaah: This summer has been the worst for our allergies!

I'm not feeling the greatest today. :animal0017: I'm cranky and emotional. On the plus side, since I wear my clothes loose to begin with, I'm still fitting into most everything. I am noticing my belly to me a little more out and a little more round. And when I'm laying down for bed a night, I feel little movements. Like something tapping.

Anyway, we're hanging around the house and DH is getting things done. We have to get the beans from the garden blanched today.

Yesterday we went to a farm market to see the lady we buy our grass-fed beef from. The half we bought last year is mostly gone. I was planning to get a picnic-sized cooler full of meat and find out when we could get a half. I thought it would be Oct., but I was pleasantly surprised to find out she had a 1/2 that was a good size for us ready in the next few weeks. What a blessing! I don't know if it's because I'm expecting, or with everything that's going on, or just my normal "time to get ready for winter" feeling...but I'm feeling it strong and early this year!

Congratulations on buying your house, Mommafitz! That should keep you busy for awhile! But a fun busy!

And yay Abby for Philbe! I think all dogs are great!

We've been actively looking for our second vehicle for a few days now. May have found it but I am not excited at all yet. Looking for a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (or vice versa, I'm not sure).

I did get to spend a part of the day elderberry picking with friends! That is so much more fun than doing it alone as I always have in the past. We just threw them, stems and all in a trash bag and put them in the freezer. Supposedly that will make it easier to get them off the stems when we have enough and are ready. I did actually feel my age for a short time but I got over it.

Monday or Tuesday I need to make the peach preserves out of my saved peaches. Aside from that just housework and cooking, I hope. And puppy loving time of course! One load of laundrey in now for a headstart on tomorrow.

Both ebay items sold so I got them packaged up and ready to go!

The newly canned peaches are wonderful with homemade vanilla ice cream!

Peach time here too! Went to orchards and they had a buy one get one free, so I bought 2 pecks and got 2 free. Oh my finger tips are tender (even with rubber gloves on!) but I've got lots of pretty looking jars...plus made up two containers of peach smoothy mix (with my VitaMixer) that's in the freezer. We'll be able to make smoothies or add ice for a cool frosty drink. Won't be long until it's apple pickin' time....