MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Traveling Tuesday

Morning,

I'm going to be on the road today, heading for TX.

This time, I will take a slightly different route and be joining my little brother and his wife, who are moving to San Antonio, TX. They'll follow me to MIL's house and spend the night before continuing on their journey. ... I'm going to miss them... That puts all my family 1,000's of miles away. :sigh:

So, how is your day going?

My Tuesday started with getting 6 trays of dehydrated peaches off their trays & vacuum sealed into 2 quart jars. Lookin' mighty pretty sitting on the shelves. Allergies feeling better now that I've stopped sniffing peach fuzz all day & used some sinus spray & cough drops. Mtn.Man's working at the church again. Got the bathroom walls textured & ready for them to paint, needs to set the new laundry sink & it's plumbing, re-set the toilet and build a "box" of access around their back flush (required by city to be inspected annually). Working periodically on the new plumbing on the baptistry (it was leaking). Sunday he did a lot of scraping so made a nice donation to our "stash"...LOL I still need to clean up my dehydrator trays, glad I wiped them down with grape seed oil! Makes removing food soooo much easier & cleaning up ALOT easier! Just loaded a batch of laundry, then comes bedding & bathroom linens. Picked more cherry tomatoes last night along with some yellow squash, regular tomatoes, a yellow sweet pepper, and a zucchini. Got a pretty eggplant that's about the size of a baseball...woohoo! Got lots of Okra blooms starting, and at least one pod beginning to form. Lots of blooms on my lemon cucumbers. The herb square has gone "wild" but that's just fine. I can pick what I want, when I want, and let it re-seed if it's going to, for next year. We'll remove all the garden plant debris this fall, cover the beds with black mylar and let it "rest" until we're ready to add a little compost and start again.

((Ann))

It's hard to believe we're already nearing the end of August. It just started.

We got our order selections in for our 1/2 side of grass-fed beef. The lady we buy ours from said there's going to be less available next year. Many of her repeat customers are getting larger orders than in previous years (like a whole cow instead of a half) and they didn't expect that at all. Now that's one smaller farm that's just in my area. But it was a little red flag for me that many others are buying larger quantities. We would buy a whole one if we had the space.

I need to get the last of our garden onions cut up and in the dehydrator today. I'll put the dehydrator in the basement so we don't get the burning peepers thing happening. I'm very much liking the smell of onions right now. DH, not so much liking the whole house smelling like onions for a couple weeks now.

((((OOTO)))))

I think a house smelling like dehydrating food would be preferable to what my poor, poor, poooooorrrrr dearest DH is dealing with.

I called home to see how he was doing....

He answered with a very stressful voice, then promptly told me, Grrr got into a skunk in the yard, picked it up and shook it!!!!! He called 911............ :faint3:

They said they couldn't help, but would call animal control. DH was beside himself. The skunk was camped out on my mulch bin and would not leave the yard so he put the dog in the house!!!! :runcirclsmiley2: The dog puked in the house, he said it smelled so bad in there he could hardly breath and the dog was drooling all over everything......... he's worried about rabies, I reminded him the dog got his shot in January and we'll see what animal control and the vet suggest. Then, I calmly told him to call the regular phone number to the police department and see if they will come out and either remove the animal or shoot it, so he will let the dog OUT of the house.

So.... what do I do next? I started laughing..... :008Laughing: .... I'm not there, I don't have to deal with it for a few days..... :shakinghead: I know... shame on me.... but.... :008Laughing: but... :008Laughing:

It looks like I will have a mess to deal with trying to deodorize the house.

I wonder if he will get any sleep tonight...............

DH called to let me know, animal control captured the skunk and will do rabies tests on it.

They recommended baking soda mixed with peroxide and some soap to get the smell off the dog.

DH will be taking Grrr to get a rabies booster shot while we wait for the results from the tests.

we have a really bad issue with rabies in the wild creatures here these days. Many many cases. I am so glad they caught the skunk. I bet it sure was tired of being messed with though. Even beavers have contracted it so we even have to be very careful about beavers around here.

((((OOTO)))))

I think a house smelling like dehydrating food would be preferable to what my poor, poor, poooooorrrrr dearest DH is dealing with.

I called home to see how he was doing....

He answered with a very stressful voice, then promptly told me, Grrr got into a skunk in the yard, picked it up and shook it!!!!! He called 911............ :faint3:

They said they couldn't help, but would call animal control. DH was beside himself. The skunk was camped out on my mulch bin and would not leave the yard so he put the dog in the house!!!! :runcirclsmiley2: The dog puked in the house, he said it smelled so bad in there he could hardly breath and the dog was drooling all over everything......... he's worried about rabies, I reminded him the dog got his shot in January and we'll see what animal control and the vet suggest. Then, I calmly told him to call the regular phone number to the police department and see if they will come out and either remove the animal or shoot it, so he will let the dog OUT of the house.

So.... what do I do next? I started laughing..... :008Laughing: .... I'm not there, I don't have to deal with it for a few days..... :shakinghead: I know... shame on me.... but.... :008Laughing: but... :008Laughing:

It looks like I will have a mess to deal with trying to deodorize the house.

I wonder if he will get any sleep tonight...............

Sounds like a good time to bug out! LOL

I'm feeling really conflicted right now. Two more days left of vacation so I'm trying not to add too much to the to do list. But, I've been purging because I know it's so much easier to keep up with everything during the work year if there's less nonessential stuff. I still have lots more to purge. Plus, I had hoped to get some cool weather crops started ...just haven't had time.

On a positive note my back finally feels like its on the mend. I've been in my classroom several days in the past week for four hour stretches clearing and organizing...back is sore but not as bad as I thought. Plus my ds18 has been coming in and moving heavy stuff. I also now have a taller chair to sit in courtesy of my boss. :)

I talked with a local farmer at our farmers market and will purchase a 1/4 pig at the next market day. Would love to purchase more but the budget and space won't allow it.

The chickens are making a big fuss...someone laid an egg.....they crack me up when they do that....

Well, I need to get off the computer and get started with the day. Have a great one!

And tell Mr. Annarchy a clothespin on the nose might help.....:)

Edited by dogmom4

Ugh...skunk. Poor Mr. Annarchy. Lucky Annarchy. But likely the smell will linger for you to share some of the experience. :yuk: OR....you could always stay an extra week with MIL. :whistling:

Rabies....ack! I had the shots when I was in 3rd grade. Back in the olden days when it was TWENTY-EIGHT SHOTS! :0327:

Dog drooling immediately has nothing to do with rabies. Truly! Just got a good snoot-full of that acrid stink. The body response, trying to clear the sinus, etc. Poor dog won't be able to smell anything for days, prolly. Feel like it's blind!

HOWEVER, it's imperative to get the skunk-in-question tested. With any encounter!!! I may have gotten those toxic rabies shots for nothing but ....they can't take the chance. Our kitten-in-question DID test positive in our case. The only question was if I'd been bit or scratched. :scratchhead: You can't really know with dog either so you can't take the chance and need to know the status on the skunk. How soon will they know?

Beavers too? I think I had heard that. Raccoons out where my bro lives. Skunks most famous for ......actually, it's cuz they manage to live with rabies long enough to be a PROBLEM! Due to my previous experience, I keep my ear to the ground when it comes to rabies. I canNOT afford to have those shots again. Neural damage can occur, especially with repeated exposure. :wacko:

Enjoy your visit with MIL and tell her 'hi' from us! Still :pray: for her health!

MtRider :wave:

Poor Mr. Annarchy and Grrrr.

That smell is so strong just the mention of skunk spray and I imagine I can actually smell it.

It isn't really funny BUT...it did make me smile (out loud) when I read he called 911. Poor guy must have been at a total loss. :runcirclsmiley2:

Thanks for the well wishes.

The baking soda, peroxide and soap removed the smell from the dog, but DH says the house still reeks. I will use the same solution to clean things up when I get back home. Unfortunately, the area directly affected in our house was the business and library area, I am sure all those books and inventory absorbed the radiant smell. :yuk:

The rest of the story... animal control is testing the little animal - DH said it was small and that the dog picked it up and shook it. We should have the results in a couple of days. In the mean time, the dog is on quarantine for 45 days, if it is rabies, and the dog shows any change, they will euthanize him. :yar:

Your garden harvests sound wonderful. I've been so disappointed for so many years with ours. The garden only produced just enough zucchini for fresh meals about once a week. Corn failed, we got 1 meal of beats, and only 2 gallons of spinach. I've replanted corn, jalapeño, watermelon, spinach, and added some pumpkin. God willing we will get something to harvest in Oct., and most of the spices fried in the heat. Praise God the harvest we have had this year, is more than we have ever gotten out of the soil.

a clothespin on the nose might help

LOL! That's funny. I hope you have a wonderful first day back! :pray:

Philbe, we can not bug out with the ferrets and no place to go in the 110* heat. But, it might have been a good practice run.

Unfortunately, I am allergic to fabreeze... :buttercup: Arby. Are rabies in your area more than usual this year?

((((Mt_Rider)))), I have heard the human treatments are real traumatic. I'm keeping my faith and hope in God that the tests come back clean.