MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Andrea

~~Clutter Clearing Challenge #3~~

I've done the same thing. "Buyers remorse".

My bane is cast iron. Usually never new, if it is cheap, I will usually get it. :shakinghead:

I dread the day we ever move. Our house is stuffed to the rafters (organized sorta). Stuff, stuff and more stuff. The problem I have, is justifying getting rid of anything. I have a couple ice chest hard plastic liners full of nuts, bolts, nails, screws and a plethora of other junk. Worse, when I need something, I rummage through it and usually find what I need.

:sigh:

You know one problem we all have......we're riding two horses. :shrug: On one hand, we are living in the modern world. On the other, we anticipate needing Post-Modern things to take care of ourselves and our families....iffen the Hooey Hits the Fan.

Naturally, we will have more STUFF. If not to use ...then mebbe to barter.

I'm just trying to get rid of stuff that fits neither of those categories......and isn't a cherished heirloom. Cuz to a certain extent, our heritage and cherished things are important too.

Yet any of those legitimate categories can get outta hand. :whistling:

I have one category that is for now and post-hooey. Recycled stuff. Containers (for gardening, repackaging store foods)...other things for re -purposing. Old clothes for 'the family cloth' or bandaging or cleaning. Allllll sorts of STUFF. But the thing about that category is....I can more easily get rid of that STUFF. If I have to greatly reduce...that's where I'd start. But if I don't have to get rid of most of it, I have plenty of uses for it. [not plenty of places to stuff that STUFF tho. Unless I can clear the loft and get things set up better up there. It's a winter project...since it's hot as blazes up there right now. Summer is the time to clear the garage-basement area.

MtRider ...trying to discern the truly useless-to-me STUFF. :darth duck:

We are in a similar boat. We have a lot of junk that needs to be gone. I like your categories MtRider. I think I'll use that. 1. Useful now 2. Useful post hooey 3. Cherished/heirloom. I think I will add 4. LOVE IT. So that means if it's not useful to us right now, not useful if things get bad, not an heirloom or something I just love ... it needs to go.

Yes...this is huge for me because dh is not really into prepping. It is driving him a little crazy as we are going through item by item...I feel a bit like those people on the hoarding shows who agonize over every little thing. Ok...maybe not as bad...but I'm not liking how it feels that the stuff in the garage seems to have a hold on me. We are back in the garage today.....

I also suffer from the buyer's remorse. Especially on clothes I know I will never wear again.

I did manage to throw out 2 pair of old shoes that were beyond repair and not worth donating at the start of this week.

As for my Dad's estate stuff - Got another model tank sold and out the door. Starting to work on the loose toy soldiers so I can get them out of the house.

I'm working on eliminating one dresser and one bookcase this week in anticipation of moving in the coming months. :0327: My two weaknesses .... books and clothes. :buttercup:

Books....definitely books! I love books. Trying to cut back and get rid of some too. I hate that all the used book stores in my area are going out of business. There are only a couple left in the area and neither are close to me.

Wonder if that's another sign of the times.....ebooks?

MtRider :reading:

Yep. Two of them have told me that they just can't compete with the ebooks.

......... until an EMP......

MtRider ;):tinfoilhatsmile:

That was exactly what I thought too.

I keep all of my important prep books and canning book in...book form. There are a couple of first aid books that were only available on Kindle though. But I do have some other first aid books in print form. Especially, Where There Is No Doctor.

I have loads of PDF's but most of them are on the computer. I went through all of them a couple of months ago and the ones I could copy and paste, I did that to a Word document and condensed them way down to printable size. I didn't print anything over 25-30 pages. Most of them are now 4-5 pages each.

All of my canning info is printed out and in a special folder. I even printed out the manuals for them in case I'm not around.

Didn't do much for the 'clutter busting' except all of the important stuff is now printed out and in one place.

A good part of Clutter Clearing is organization. Iffen ya can't find it....it does no good. :shrug:

I envy your progress in this area, Jeep!

MtRider ...organizing counts! :dusting:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I keep all of my important prep books and canning book in...book form. There are a couple of first aid books that were only available on Kindle though. But I do have some other first aid books in print form. Especially, Where There Is No Doctor.

Jeep ... is there a specific version of Where there is No Doctor we should be looking for. I keep meaning to get a copy, and now seems like a good time.

We are continuing to clear clutter one box at a time. Also limping along with a remodel of sorts. The plans for this weekend: get the dead double ovens and electric stove top out and to the curb. Go through every room and pull out any obvious "toss" items to the curb. City pick up is set for Monday, so we are trying to get out anything we can right now and make room in the garage for an actual garage sale before school starts again. I ordered the new cook top yesterday. We are going to build pipe and wood shelving where the wall ovens were and use a small convection oven and microwave until we are ready to gut the kitchen. We have less than 8 feet of counter space and those two ovens have cut that down to 4 feet. I'm sick of it!! They've got to go up the wall if we are going to make it through a remodel!! I don't want to invest in an oven until we decide what we're going to do and how extensive the remodel will be. We bought a bottom of the line electric stove top to get us through because we know we are going to convert to gas oven at a minimum. But since youngest DD is getting married next spring, and middle DD likely next fall, we're just going to work on decluttering, painting, diy flooring in the back of house, etc. We won't be knocking out walls or replacing appliances ... really any large ticket item ... until all daughters are married! Then, we will decide how deep we will go into a remodel based on where DH is in his retirement decision. We just want to upgrade every reasonable thing we can so that when he does retire from his day job, we can get in the market with the least out of pocket $$ and get back maximum in resale!! But our kitchen is so tiny ... we HAVE to address that somehow!!! Exciting, tiring, nerve-wracking, fun, time-consuming ... all those things. Ready. To. Be. Decluttered.

Sorry Carr, I was out of town and just saw this. My book is the 2009 edition and it says "New Revised Edition" on it. If I were buying one today, I'd get the newest edition out there so it is the most up to date. I looked on Amazon and there is a 2013 edition out. If I didn't already have one, that's the one I'd get. I don't know how their prices compare to other sources. I don't remember where I got mine. Probably either Lehmans or Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Where-There-Doctor-David-Werner/dp/B00N1IXSJI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1468627203&sr=8-7&keywords=where+there+is+no+doctor

That's the smart way to do it, Carr. I wish I had been keeping up all along and doing a little at a time without getting burned out trying to do it all at once.

We've started putting stuff into a storage facility and are still getting rid of a huge amount of just unnecessary stuff. We are counting down now...last day is the 31st. But, I'm having surgery on my eyes to remeove cataracts on the 27th...the plan is to really be done by then. I hate moving. <_<

(((Dogmom))) I really hate moving toooooo!

MtRider :pray:

The kitchen is almost packed up and ready to be moved to storage. Will be doing that today. We'll be using paper goods until we move...have lots in storage! :)

Never know when those preps are coming in handy. Aren't you SO glad this is happening during non-school months! :amen:

MtRider ....Praying for this double-move for Dogmoms...and for their health issues :pray:

Ok...I am so done with moving.... We have soooo much stuff. There has got to be a happy medium between being a prepper and a minimalist...cuz that's what I want to be right now. We have donated...Freecycled...trashed...taken all school stuff to my classroom...and I still feel like there's just too much.

Edited by dogmom4