MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Andrea

~~Clutter Clearing Challenge #3~~

(((Momo))) Hope it all turned out ok for you.

I have a ceiling high bookcase in my kitchen, filled. It's a constant reminder I need to declutter and dust. One shelf is full of antique lab glass and things MIL passed on to us, including her first pair of leather shoes. :blink: Another shelf is full, of 1/2 my collection, of Avon red Cape Cod dinnerware. And on and on and on. Decluttering would mean selling the stuff or putting it in storage. What use would it be then? Sentimental value and antiques - my bane. And that's just the top rows..... :shakinghead:

Cleaning the top of the fridge, sort of decluttered it. Except I added to it. :whistling:

I found that for a one-time $60, I can have a second trash bin every week! This is going to make a major difference in the declutttering.

I got the second shelf in the pantry finished today. Two more shelves to go. It's starting to look good in there.

Getting ready for pack out the end of this week.... pioneer country here I come! Then I get to clean over the weekend and hope to be outta dis awful place by Sunday night or Monday at the latest.....

Its mostly sweep and mop and pile stuff for manager to take to dump for me.... scrub out oven and stove top nice and shiny, its never bad but polite of course to do. Light wipe down on bathroom walls, they need it again... wipe out and throw out frig stuff, most of its minimal anyway.

M has a furnished house with washer and dryer! I will try to re landscape their yard for them while I live there and help with 6 acre homestead outside of town and big garden with other mutual friends and we can go to town pool in the summer time in the evenings they go....

If this country hold together, I am workin' on straightening out some P&Q's and saving for a used truck and new horsetrailer or one in very good condition I can turn tack room into tiny camper trailer but could still haul a horse or small livestock around with part time and use for outdoor shelter for hobbies in the warmer climates I will eventually go to and can hopefully reside with my son's family, a little cottage behind their main home one day once they resettle in north Texas again, they have things they need to do when they get back next Fall from duties done out in the middle of an ocean. Oh, first a moped of some strength early enough next year I hope so I can get around on my own at times, but carpooling is regular, once a week at least! To go to bigger cities to shop so we save money and can have a little fun getting out. So, moped, reasonable clothes as needed, a new laptop with Office this time intact! Preps if there is time...... who the heck knows what will happen next, these days! Rumors stink these days!

Gotta keep the faith and it will be good to be with old friends again that I know are rock solid and pretty darn positive!

Edited by sassenach

Best.....sometimes ONLY way to clutter-clear is MOVING. :cheer: Sass!

MtRider ....my day will come! :pray:

My apartment manager is cool if I dont have the strength, energy or balance, just pile up stuff in one spot and do my general clean up, he will haul it, what I dont pack up or take in rental vehicle when my son picks me up. So that works! He makes the owner pay him for the time so it works out , he needs more income again.... I figured that was fair. We both dislike the owner, lol.

Hurrah! :hapydancsmil:

Ha! Called M......... we wore her battery down on the phone.... talking, that house sounds really nice and its got rich loamy soil and I can garden! :D

I'm on the final pantry shelf and got stalled. One of those shelves doesn't hold as much canned (jars) of food as I thought it would. Plus a case of filled pints is h-e-a-v-y! So, I think I'm going to take them off of the shelf and out of the boxes to stack them. The shelves are pretty tall so I can get three boxes high. They are just too heavy and take up too much room. If I take them out of the boxes I can stack three jars high and space them out better. Son said to get some really thin plywood to put between the jar tiers so they will be more stable.

I just thought, I could get some plexi-glass to use. Like those cheap picture frames or poster frame 'glass'. I'm gonna try that first. I might check out Home Depot. They have the heavier plastic that goes over a light fixture like in a drop ceiling. They will cut to size too. I'll come up with something.

I got two cheap picture frames for the cheap glass to put on my end tables in the family room. Very nice protectors but I have broken two of the glass pieces already. Problem is the top of the table is beveled so the glass doesn't lay flat all around the edges. I used the edge once to balance myself while putting on my shoes and broke it. Another time a glass bottle fell over and shattered it. I'm thinking plexi-glass for them the next time too.

Hauled an old exercise cardio trainer both DH and I despised to the end of the driveway for Disabled Veterans group to pick up today. Also put a bag of old clothes and some of my Dad's stuff I know won't be worth trying to sell.

Working on cleaning and organizing my sewing room now. Happy Dance.

:thumbs: carr!

Straightened up some of my garden tool area. I really need to build a small shed to keep my tools out of the elements.

Shock and awe.... :o

So I'm trying to rearrange things in the basement clutter and get some stuff out of there. I have way too much "kids stuff" still down there. At least most of their old toys are in tubs, protected from dust & bugs and the occasional mouse. Luckily we've apparently sealed up the little "mouse doorways". Haven't seen any for a couple of years.

I found an upright, odd-looking glass pop bottle that had something thick & crumbly in the bottom. Weird. I couldn't get it out dry, so I filled it with hot water until it all softened.

Imagine my shock and horror when it finally came out - an intact, once-fully-preserved dead MOUSE! :0327:

I do feel bad about the circumstances of it dying a slow, sad death. It crawled into the upright bottle and couldn't get out. And it was so far into a corner that I never smelled it.

But hey, I'm CLEANING!!!!!! :thumbs:

:unsure: Wow Cat.

While re-arranging our BOB's, I found a large mirror I had stuffed out of the way, behind the packs.

Yesterday, I gave it away. :thumbs: One less thing in my clutter to deal with.

After all of my kvetching over whether to get plastic, glass, Plexiglas, poster board or plywood to stack my canning jars in the pantry, I ran across a very large heavy cardboard box that a printer/scanner came in. I emptied it out and I'm going to try that first. I can use a box cutter and a metal yard stick to cut it any size I want here at home. Sometimes I think I over think things.

Humm, spell check says it's spelled Plexiglas and not plexi-glass. Learn something new today that I'll probably never use again. Probably taking up precious space in the old noggin that I really need. :blush:

Hauled several huge "rings" of old milk cartons to the street at homestead to be picked up. Got more. This spring a lady gave us all her stored milk jugs (we wanted to use them in the garden to cover the new seedlings) ...probably about 100 of them...but we had to take them all. Like "non-thinkers" we went ahead and took them all since we'd driven 20 miles to her farm...:-( Anyway, been there, done that and won't again. We'll use toilet paper cardboards next year. I've been saving them :-)

ps...also need to make a scrap metal run soon. Won't bring in much $$ but it'll be gone.

Edited by The WE2's

Well, my household goods were delivered. I sure hope all my archery gear etc. is okay. Too tired tonight to sort through the probable boxes to find them all. I also need to find the charger to my little electric scooter. As to clutter clearing....... sorting.........it's going to keep me busy a while.

Glad your stuff arrived. Do you have more room now than in your apartment? Yeah....finding stuff and finding a new place for stuff will be a heavy process....but kinda exciting!

MtRider :cheer:

Yes, better closets some what but I need organizational furniture for knitting and sewing stuff. I can get that a little at a time..... Also organizational shelves and some bins for kitchen too... but have two extra rooms and a roomy living room area I can utilize nicely for craft, writing work, and storage with some out of sight storage.

:woohoo: Sass. Sounds like you're now open with possibilities!

MtRider .....I'm envious, ya know. And happy for you!!! :balloons:

Arby - We took a spare bedroom, off the kitchen, and turned it into a pantry. It has folding doors and can be cold storage as we have electric heat. I'm really happy with the cold/darkness in there. :hug3:

I am so encouraged. :)

I've been working in the corner of the basement for a while now, sorting and labeling and throwing away stuff.

I'm amazed at some of the stuff I still have from SO many years ago. And stuff I had forgotten.

I found both daughters' "first Christmas shoes". After they outgrew them, I tied a ribbon on them, labeled them, and we used them as ornaments on the tree. Somehow they were lost in a box of holiday stuff downstairs.

Way too much fabric for my "someday" craft room. Toys long outgrown. Some are probably McDonalds collectors items, still in the packages.

Overall, though, I am amazed at how great it feels, and how it encourages me to keep doing more. :cele:

Way to go Cat! I get encouraged when I can see progress made too. I'm okay as long as I don't stop. If I stop then I have to force myself to get back at it.

Sass, I used one of those shoe hanging things in a closet to store my yarn when I was doing a lot of knitting and crocheting. I probably got it at Wal-Mart similar to this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Inc-10-Pair-Hanging-Shoe-Shelves/33706472

post-2492-0-67053900-1478787326_thumb.jpg

We consolidated all the 'extra' supplies into a 'prep room/general store' upstairs. It already had floor to ceiling shelves (12 foot pitched ceiling) in one area and we added in some more shelving and a tables around the room. I made all the storage areas from 'oh we might need this someday' items from the garage so I'm killing two birds with one stone.

Okay....I'm putting "an extra room" on my Christmas wish list. I love the stories of arranging the EXTRA/PREP stuff so you can see it and get to it and rotate it!

MtRider :thumbs: .....course, mine is really well hidden in "chaos camo" :rolleyes: