MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Andrea

~~Clutter Clearing Challenge #3~~

I don't come to this thread much...too distressing! LOL  All houses are in a "clutter" to say the least.  The bathroom remodel at homestead has been on hold for a week or so, Mr. had a customer needing some work done on his property...and Mr. takes the work when he can get it, especially this time of year.  So "de-clutter" ... not yet, just trying not to add to it!

I moved a good portion of garage clutter out to the Circus Tent....... 

Now I've got a no lifting/straining mandate for 2-3 wks....

MtRider  ....I give UP ALREADY!  :yar:

I've got someone coming by on Thursday, to give me an estimate, she says.  I expect she'll go pale and disappear.

• Haha 3

I took 3 big garbage bags of plastic totes with lids and 50 paperback books to the Salvation Army today.

It really cleared out the living room where I had them waiting to go out...for over a month.  Or two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2018 at 7:38 PM, Jeepers said:

I took 3 big garbage bags of plastic totes with lids and 50 paperback books to the Salvation Army today.

It really cleared out the living room where I had them waiting to go out...for over a month.  Or two.

Last week at the  homestead, while hubby worked on bath, I did some sorting and setting out on the road.  One box had several cans of vegetables and some bottles of juice...wasn't no time til I saw a fella on a bike (looked awful ragged and dirty) sorting through and putting all the canned goods in his basket.  I don't think it mattered to him if it was a couple of years old and I sure don't think it will hurt him.  We have our camera watching, so I'll be sure to box stuff up better if I know he's coming by and helping himself.  I'm sure we've got some good clothing etc., that I can put in a clear plastic bag so he can see what it is.  I didn't let him see me watching...didn't want to embarrass him.  I won't take clothes etc. to the thrift shops because they charge for stuff they get free...the SA is the worst on their prices.  They get stuff free and then price it way too high as far as I'm concerned.  A couple of years ago we gave two boxes of puzzles and books to a local VA nursing home.

3 hours ago, The WE2's said:

thrift shops because they charge for stuff they get free...the SA is the worst on their prices. 

While I agree that some of the thrift store prices have gotten ridiculous...higher than buying new at Walmart, I think I have data that will explain what Salvation Army in particular does with the earnings.  I worked thru them with state money, targeting the homeless population so I'm familiar with how it works.  Before that, I didn't know that selling donated goods cheap is not the point at all.

First, SA will give needy folks vouchers to get goods from their stores free.  The PROFITS go for their other social programs.  Other than reasonable admin costs, the money gained in their thrift stores goes back into the homeless and needy community anyway.  That's how they're able to do all their programs.  My program was actually an exception...being financed with state money. 

Goodwill's target population is usually the disabled [physical/social/cognitive].  They have the sheltered workshops and day programs for severely disabled like my friend hosts in her home.  Other thrift stores might have other target populations they help with programs financed by the profits of the thrift stores.  Its all good. 

However....direct donation to a needy person is also very good!  It was a kindness that man will not forget.  :hug3:

MtRider  :pc_coffee: 

We have a Goodwill drop off that is a little closer but it is in a strip mall sort of deal and it's hard to bring items in there. You have to carry things across the parking lot and contend with the door. They are pretty snooty there and act like they are doing you a favor taking your items. Last time I was there I had to make 4-5 trips across the parking lot while a guy just sat there. He did tell me I could prop the door open though.

At the S.A. they have a drive through with a canopy that is nice in the rain and snow. They will come out to the car and get the items if you want them to. I see the guys in there and they work hard.

It is illegal for anyone to go through your trash or even pick something up from the curb in my town.

The SA in this town doesn't seem to have the "leadership" perhaps that you're referring to....to each our own perhaps?  Hugs...

• Like 1

Yep, every town or manager runs things their own way. Our S.A. is a very big one so maybe that makes a difference too.

• Like 1

Well...we "decluttered" unwillingly this afternoon.  Yesterday morning we were at the homestead, in the kitchen sorting books etc. and I heard a "bam!" and said "what was that?"  Hubby said probably the front door swinging back because we left it open?  So we continued.  Not long after our Abby-girl started cussing something out through the screen door.  I always go look, and there were police cars on the road just east of us.  I gave hubby a yelp to come see and investigate.  As it turns out...some guy and his girlfriend were trying to "avoid an altercation" up the road, so he jammed his SUV in reverse and floored the accelerator...backwards!  Lost control, slipped into the ditch in front of our place, took out both driveway posts continued downward and tipped upward, slammed into one of our big cedar trees before coming to a stop...that was the BAM I heard!  Neighbors heard both times, when he took out the driveway posts and then hit the tree.  So....today we had to pick up broken and shattered safety glass, plastics and tree bark for about 50 feet...grrrr!  That's how we de-cluttered...on our knees with gloves (that found it hard to pick up tiny shards of glass) and putting the shards in plastic bags (4 of them!) and boxed for the trash.  Never knew vehicles could throw that much glass!  Anyway...we took pictures for ourselves and for our insurance.  We'll not turn it in on ours but they'll turn it in on his.  He's so lucky he didn't turn it over and throw one or both of them out!  And we had pulled the truck far enough into the drive that he missed the back end of it by about 20 feet.  All this...DRIVING BACKWARDS!  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Wow We2. That's terrible! Not a good way to declutter.

Bad enough to have to pick up our own stuff let alone someone else's.  Idiots.

• Like 1

Once upon a time my dogs were barking up a storm at the front window (the shades were drawn) and I told them to hush, but did not get up to investigate. The next day I walked out onto the front porch and lo and behold, the house across the street was burned to the ground!

I pretty much make it a habit now to investigate what my dog is barking at!

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.