MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Andrea

~~Clutter Clearing Challenge #3~~

Sure hope you get a chance to get used to it, Mt Rider!

I got another pile of mesquite and trash burned. Also found someone who wants the compost toilet I was given and it didn't work for us. Dragged some more stuff out of the storage to rotate. Most will go to the poultry, goats and dogs, but I'm not moving all that if I don't have to.

LOL I'm enjoying having more space in tiny living room. Not sure how much stuff I'm moving back in. Some is vital, of course. But I'm taking it slowly. Resterday was much slower. Just got some cards written, stamped, and set for DH to mail. Today.... :0327: Completely REST day except evening feeding and supper [remake of leftovers].

So....it's been pretty good considering all I did. Makes me :happy0203: to see the progress. Feasting my eyes on that part of room...ignore the cluttered parts.

MtRider :laughkick:

I have a great motivation to get decluttering this afternoon. We will be having visitors 2 days next week. I will have to at least get the kitchen and living room!

Having guests is a great motivator!

After I eat I'm going to clear out my dinning room. There is no excuse for there being clutter in there. I'm clearing it out even if I have to take the stuff to the garage. It's outta here. I'm serious...this time.

I got the dinning room all shoveled out! The only thing in there that doesn't belong is a new light fixture sitting on the table waiting for someone to install it.

Next is the adjoining living room. There isn't that much in there and it won't take too long...famous last words. I have 2 bookcases in there I want gone but they are heavy so I might have to wait for son to help. I know I will with one. If I can get the boxes out of there today I'll be happy.

I got 3 totes filled with toilet paper. 57 rolls each. I could fill another 2 but sheesh, how much does one person need and then there is the issue of storage. I filled another tote of the same kind with paper plates, bowls and cups and plastic cutlery. I also got all of my cleaning products in separate boxes and labeled ready to store in the basement. Actually, they look kind of nice. I didn't buy anything new except the totes. I already had the stuff sitting around. Mostly in the dinning room.

So today it's the living room and maybe the hall closet.

I hope my next house doesn't have a formal dinning room and formal living room. What a waste of space. I never use either one and they just gather junk and dust.

Can you turn either of them into something more useful, Jeepers? Add a door and ....??? Craft room. Storage......

A modification that isn't permanent so as not to hurt resale value.

MtRider ....dealing with snow [falling in snow and hurting now] is consuming my energy and stopped my nice progress. Phhooooeee! :yar:

The living room is too open and has the steps going up right next to it so no place for a door. The dinning room has two openings. One regular size opening to the kitchen that a door would fit but the other end is open to the living room and the door opening is huge. It's almost like the two rooms are one. It's a typical 1980 colonial. Sometimes a month will go by when I don't step foot in either room. And then it's just to walk through.

Hope you feel better soon. You had such a good boost there for awhile. Good thing you took advantage of it! It's raining here. We don't really need it though.

Tuesday, I cleaned and re-organized the shed and Wednesday was my office.

Today, I spent the day tackling my kitchen drawers. They are old cabinets and were not opening and closing very well. Most of the problem was, they were too full.

I really did not throw away that much. One drawer has been a catch all, for years, including nuts, bolts, screws, nails, curtain pins, and a plethora of anything else hardware that we did not throw away. Anything along those lines went into the shed into the two containers that contain similar items.

The bottom drawer was more along the lines of ziploc bags with dowels for the bookcases, paper clamps/chip clips, spice bottle lids, plastic forks/spoons, and so much more.

Most of the stuff actually has its own place, but I am sure in my laziness, I just shoved it in the drawers and forgot about it.

Now, the drawers have been emptied, cleaned, screws tightened, nails hammered back in or replaced and the rails WD40'd. I warned DH to be careful because they open easily.

:happy0203:

:lol: I've done that on a suddenly freed-up drawer!

MtRider :rolleyes: ....and not making any comments on Clutter Cleaning events at my house. :sigh:

I try to get rid of at least 3 things every day. You'd think you would soon begin to notice a difference in the house. Not so , when you have everyone else bringing in much more than I throw away. This week its Halloween stuff, and a neighbor gave the little one a few Halloween things also. She gave him a set of cups and plates. Made in China!

Theres a ton of Halloween decorations in the attic but I can't get to them because of junk in front of them. Need to clean the attic, probably half of the stuff should be thrown away.

I've been trying to get my desk cleaned up, papers everywhere, I am working on getting my recipes organized. What a job!

Bumping this up again because I need to clean and clear.

Getting dressed all the way to my shoes (cuz I am and will always be a Flylady devotee). :)

Spending 15 minutes in each room of the house...including the garage. I have a couple of "donate" boxes ready to go. Wish me luck!

Good Luck! :cheer:

Edited to add:

I was just reminded of a sale sign I saw a couple of blocks from me. It says, "Hoarder Sale - Everything Will Go!"

I told my son he had better not do that to me when my time comes. Garage/yard sale yes but he had better not advertise the "H" word. :frying pan:

Edited by Jeepers

You gonna come back and haunt him Jeepers?

I have have been decluttering more all the time, every since

I worked all those months emptying my DS's house. It has

taught me to look at things differently. I have never really

wanted stuff like a lot of people do, and collections have

lost their attraction..(dust is different)

Now I look at things that will make life a little easier, to replace

the strength I no longer have. I rarely ever go past one thrift store without donating...

We're still working at de-cluttering the Homestead. Today is a rainy day so MrWE2 can't paint, so we'll be going over there to remove the carpet in the huge back bedroom closet (which will serve as a temporary extended pantry) so we can start moving LTS buckets from the Roost. Sure was glad to see some rain. Got back from camping trip and Kale leaves are nearly eaten up, LambsQuarter about done in (their in containers) and wild strawberries dried up and dead...since son's paying his own water he couldn't spare a few drops while we were gone...and doggone if we were going to ask him!!! Most people would "notice" a plant needed watering :-( BUT...this is a temporary situation. As soon as we get the Roost finished (emptied & remodeling done) sold...he'll get his 30-day notice...IF he hasn't already moved out.

Me too Twilight. I've had to help downsize my mom a couple of times. I don't want to do that to my kids.

One thing I did find in the garage were two 18 gallon totes filled with fabric someone gave me probably 7 or 8 years ago. At that time I was planning on improving my sewing skills...didn't happen and realistically I don't have time for it. Plus I know that fabric deteriorates over time and I would feel terrible if it ended up having to be thrown away because I kept it stashed too long in my garage. Time for it to be put out in the world to become something via Freecycle.

If quilts can last 100 years.....I am not worried about fabric deterioating. I keep my in clean storage boxes

and expect them to last. Now if they were hung out in the air all the time that is a different story.

I understand the deterioration of material ... from heat. I had an old quilt, I packed nicely in a sealed bag then stored in our shed. 2 years later I cried when I opened it to check it and the material literally disintegrated like ash in my fingers. Now I keep my materials in the house.

Cleaning clutter....

While at MIL's, I got thinking (dangerous for me). We watched a bunch of remodeling shows. I wondered what they would do with my home. All the shows ended with bright shinny clean areas (lots of money spent), however, I thought of all the stuff in my house. Then, thought of what are we going to do when MIL passes. God forbid she does any time soon, but the reality of that kind of hit me hard while I was there this time. She is slowing down and much more lethargic then usual, yet she says she is fine. She has told me, several times, she lies to me so I will not worry, when she tells me of the tests and doctor treatments she had during the month. :shakinghead:

Anyway, when I got home this time, all I could see was clutter. The antique/heirlooms, nick nacs, the stuff we have but don't use.... and the list goes on and on and on. Twilight, your comments about cleaning out your DS's house made me think what would happen when someone else comes in to clean out our place? :sigh: Yeah, Jeepers, would they say that about me? I hope not!

The big thing for me right now... Where do I start and what goes? :scratchhead:

:sSig_thankyou: dogmom4 for bumping this, I need to get busy and take care of this mess.

I do not think you can put fabric..quilt or ..in a closed plastic bag

due to the fact it will sweat/dry out/sweat/etc.

My fabric is in plastic totes but when I get down.....I go in and look

at it, sort , refold , match, ..it is not like it gets lonely................

It is so easy to hoard... and so easy for stuff to ruin...be it food,or

whatever. And the more hoarding the more places for bugs or mice to hide,

Yep...rotation is key. Gotta be in messing with your things on a consistent basis and on the lookout for any disturbances. Darkness is your enemy in many situations :-( My mother's old quilts (which I now have) were stored in her cedar chest (which I also currently have) and in the cedar lined bay window seat in the dining room at the Homestead...they seem to have survived fine.

I need to try to get, at least, one thing regarding clutter done today.

MIL mentioned there was not enough room for her stuff, if she were to come here to live.....

That's me trying to figure out where to start -----> :runcirclsmiley2:

Oh....is she actually considering that, Annarchy. That WOULD be a change in household space. Perhaps a storage unit if that were to occur?

MtRider .....not sayin' nothing about my progress.....ain't nothin' to say.... :yar:

Transferred 42 five gallon buckets today. Brought home a case of spiced apples that I put up in September 2013. Gonna check 'em out and eat 'em! LOL

The Power Of Six.

Well, it's just something I came up with for lack of a better name. And why 6? I have no idea. I liked 5 but I also like even numbers so 6 it is. I've done this before and it works IF I keep at it.

What I do EVERYDAY is pick up 6 things and put them away. I have 24 hours to put 6 things away. Some days I'm doing it right before bedtime but if I miss a day it becomes two days and so on and then I'm back in the same old rut. Doing more than 6 things is great but it doesn't count for the next days 6 things. If you pick up 6 newspapers off of the floor, it only counts as one thing. It really does work, at least for me. Usually I don't stop at 6 because it is so easy to do. Although you couldn't tell it by the way things look around here now. Six things is so little and it really adds up but I don't kick myself if I only do 6 because that was the goal. Maybe you would do better with 'the power of 3'. What ever motivates you.

So, as of now I'm back on my "power of 6" again.

I like that Jeepers. I went through my two 18 gallon totes of fabric and decided what to let go and what to keep. I now only have one tote full of fabric and the rest has been donated.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.