MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Computer Woes

If I turn up missing don't send out an Amber alert. My computer is starting to act crazy and I'm thinking it might die. It isn't that old either. I really don't want to get another one. I have this one like I like it, I don't want to spend more money, I really don't want Microsoft 8 and I can't remember what else. My memory isn't worth crap today.

The main problem seems to be the fan. It is really getting loud. If I whack it on the bottom it quits for a few minutes. But starts whining again. So, if I'm gone all of the sudden it's computer related.

I have a love-hate relationship with computers too. I am so hard on computers and the brakes on my cars. I only have one vehicle but I've been tough on brakes on all cars I've owned. I don't ride them so I don't know what's up with me. Lead foot I guess. :D

Coasty, I have a laptop and the keyboard is one of those smooth top ones where stuff doesn't fall in. I thought about trying to get the bottom off but I'm not sure how to go about it. When I finish downloading a backup, I'll take the battery out and poke around. I do see some vents that I'll get the vacuum after. The worse that can happen is I'll have a clean computer if I have to take it in.

One of the big mistakes people make when they own and use laptops is not having a "cooling rack" under them. The bottom of your laptop generates ALOT of heat! If you don't believe me, set it on your "lap" for about 20 minutes (or less?) and you'll understand. You can purchase cooling racks (my words) at WM's etc. for not too much $$. Our Vizio is powered by our Acer notebook and it sets on it's cooling rack, on top of a plastic step stool I have. Be careful thumping around on a laptop dear and even more careful about unpackaging it. MM has recycled alot of pc's and the laptops were a nightmare because nearly everything is connected to something. Not at all like a desktop pc where you can replace a part and go on. Just some cautions from Philbe.

I do have mine on a cooling pad thingy. It plugs into my computer and the fan is pretty good. My computer puts out a lot of heat so I really need it.

Thanks for the warning about taking it apart. Later I thought about if it is still under warrantee me opening it up could invalidate the service agreement. Now I have to go dig out the paperwork. I think it ended last Feb. of course. I've already thumped the daylights out of it's bottom. :beat_deadhorse:

It works for awhile. But that rattling fan is getting on my last nerve.

We just did the big ouchie for two new machines. We have a large monitor that I need to use when doing books so we went for another desktop and an ipad. If I hold my breath, wiggle my ears, and don't move the wrong way I can still use the laptop, but it is SOOOOOO frustrating when it powers out on me. It is slow and I can't use firefox anymore either.

The tablet will be great for traveling but I did that with the laptop too. So far I find the tablet annoying to hold!

:hapydancsmil:

I'm glad it's working better, Jeepers.

Hey, did you see that Giant Eagle has Libby's veggies on sale for 49 cents a can? (I think you have Giant Eagles in OH). They didn't even have them that cheap last Christmas.

I didn't see that but I'm only a few blocks from them and have some errands to run so I'll check it out. THANKS!

:hapydancsmil:

I'm glad it's working better, Jeepers.

Hey, did you see that Giant Eagle has Libby's veggies on sale for 49 cents a can? (I think you have Giant Eagles in OH). They didn't even have them that cheap last Christmas.

HA! About a half an hour before I was going to leave, the phone rang and it was Giant Eagle calling to say my prescriptions were ready to be picked up! I got enough corn, green beans and peas to last 2 years. I picked up some spinach too. It's just me here so that isn't a massive amount. If you hadn't given me the heads up, I would never have gone down that aisle. I wasn't even going to do any shopping. Just pick up my prescriptions. I'll use the canned veggies I already had to make some veggie soup to can.

THANK YOU! :bouquet: