MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Seniors - This Is For Real

Well as some of you know I work at a Senior Center. Yesterday someone told us they went to get chemo and the receptionist ask his age, he said 75, she said well that's a good thing because if you had said 76 we couldn't do it. He thought she was kidding, no dead serious. If your over 75 they will not do chemo treatments now. Guess obamacare thinks anyone over that age isn't viable life to try and save. A lady that works with me has a sister who is a nurse and she told her that was right, if they were over 75 they couldn't be sent for chemo treatments and that was just the half of it. She told her if you really knew all that it entailed it would scare you to death. She also told her that at a certain age every 5 yrs. they would start to be sent to "End of Life" classed I guess you would call it, to prepare you for what's coming. She said pure communism. It's scarey. I was surprised, well I guess shocked, don't know why. My dad is 90, w/Alzheimers and I'm thinking what all are they not going to let be done for him anymore because of his age. This makes me very mad and I want to do something, but what do we do. Are we going to just let them take everything away from us.

My dad is 79 and he made his own choice about his prostate cancer, he chose not to take chemo, just on pain meds and checked every 90 days by the doc. I think he just wants to enjoy what time he has left and not get into bickering over it. I have to respect his choice. He had also done research on probabilities of chemo extending his life any more than without it and it does not do so.

He is doing all he can to simply enjoy what time he has left and I think that is admirable. I am pretty sure his doctor told him what was coming down the pike several months ago and he made his decisions then.

Everyone is going to be different about this, but I hate that it is being forced on us.

As far as I can tell society has started maltreatment of persons at age 50 and above. I am sure it will get worse if we let it get worse. Only when it has gone on a long time and people finally seek wisdom, they will find they are missing a very valuable resource. Karma!

"He can afford ....."

Well, I could afford a doctor visit but the doctor could not legally TAKE MY MONEY cuz I was on Medicare. Please do not think that paying for something yourself is going to work in this system. I've been screaming this from the rooftops for 20 years. The regulations will not let the doctors take you as a patient.

Just like Medicare has always been...... :angry:

The only way around this will be the back street stuff.....what quality will THAT be? The very wealthy can afford a "back door clinic" that would be well equipped but not the rest of us. Or just become a member of Congress so you're exempt. :motz_6: For that exemption alone, the whole lot of them ought to be jailed. No wonder all those old fools wanted to opt out. How many are over 75?

MtRider <_<

Edited by Mt_Rider

I've been mulling things over the past couple of weeks.....next month I'll be 50, I'm single with no children so there's really no one to watch out for me but me. What do I do when I get old? I don't have the wherewithal to buy the best of care, but I will have a decent pension (hopefully-mine is among the top-rated but that can always change). I was thinking when I approach the 65 or so mark, to move into those step facilities....you know the kind, you start at independent living, then assisted living, then nursing home. Continuous care facility, I believe it's called. But I could see as I got older, I would cost more money (I already have chronic conditions). Gee, something might 'happen' to me when I started costing more than I was putting in. Might have to re-think this....

Just lost a beloved aunt...88...needed dialysis for her kidneys, but they sent her home because she also had scirrosis of the liver starting. Ring any bells people? Just recently I refilled my synthroid (synthroid mind you!) and the pharmacist said "could you come with me, I'd like to consult with you about your medicines". I said "nope, I know what I'm taking, how to take it, and when to take it" and politely smiled & walked away. Again, ring any bells? I fully expected for him to try to enroll me in some program or, to start probing into my medical health information. I guess because I paid cash for our meds, he had some interest? I'm over 65, Mtn.Man is over 60...both of us are healthy...thank God! We both feel it's out our responsibility to care for ourselves as much as we can, and to do it however we have to do it.

Edited by Philbe

Hmmmm....never thought of that, but it would be kind of hard to do, since I work for the government (state). I happen to work for the agency that oversees the state government retiree insurance enrollments, so I know quite a bit about the workings of our pension system. Once I retire, if I report myself 'dead' to SS, then that report would show up on the annual datamatch the pension system performs to find unreported deceased retirees. Then the pension would be terminated as well.

I've read all your comments. I'm still surprised or shocked over it. Thank goodness my dad had a stent done in April, because now they wouldn't do it I'm sure. And you know a persons life is always valuable. There's a lady where I work that is 92 and in the last year she has had a mastectomy, chemo, and besides the days she was in hosp. or getting treatments, she was at the center quilting and having lunch. Now that is over she is well (praise God) her life is very full and active. 75 my foot, a persons life is always valuable. Yes we get older and slow down, but that doesn't mean were useless. I could name the seniors that have very full lives and for our gov't to just pick a number and say no more (whether you have money or not) is despicable and the whole "end of life" thing freaks me out. That's something from old end of time movies!

Catwrangla I'm like you 57 not married & no children and totally understand. I have noone except my animals. I also wonder what time will bring. I hope if we can keep fighting this maybe things will change when he's out of office. We need a revolution I think to stand up against our gov't.

Interesting question CBA, that's a hard question. I don't know if I would be willing to go totally off grid. It would take lots of work and real preparedness. You know if I had the money and things ready, able to do it.... I think I would. I don't want anyone telling me what I can or cannot do.

One thing I know for all of us and each of our situations is that God thinks every life is precious no matter the age, the illness and He is still is in control, that's my only hope for us or this country. God help us!

Okay guys, I have my concerns about Obama Care but we have to check sources before posting. When I first saw this it scared the heck out of me because the first thing I thought of was that my mother and MIL are both over 75. I have checked a bunch of places and each one says this is not true. If someone can say where it is written in the health care mandates I would really appreciate it if you could post that.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/over75.asp

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/01/13/will-obamacare-end-active-medical-intervention-at-age-70/

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/04/death-panels-redux/

http://devontexas.com/2013/06/06/dialysis-and-obamacare/ ( lots of good links)

"He can afford ....."

Well, I could afford a doctor visit but the doctor could not legally TAKE MY MONEY cuz I was on Medicare. Please do not think that paying for something yourself is going to work in this system. I've been screaming this from the rooftops for 20 years. The regulations will not let the doctors take you as a patient.

Trust me, I don't. And neither does he. He is absolutely one of the wisest men I've EVER met. However, since he is unable to have insurance cover a procedure, he CAN indeed pay for those procedures himself. That was discussed.

I'm really tired & sick, & I don't know how that comes across ^^ If snotty, I don't mean for it to. It might be changing with this new TAX they have, but at the times of discussion, it's been an option. I've also had the option in the past to pay OOP for things not covered by insurance.

Poster on another board is from Canada and she says they aren't allowed to pay out of pocket for additional care. She likes that because it means the richer people don't get better care than she does. (I bit my fingers and didn't tell her what I thought of that!)

Poster on another board is from Canada and she says they aren't allowed to pay out of pocket for additional care. She likes that because it means the richer people don't get better care than she does. (I bit my fingers and didn't tell her what I thought of that!)

Exactly. They just fly out of the country to spend their money and enrich the OTHER country.

When I was a kid, we were taught actual history. And resentment of the "rich aristocrats" is, time and time again, what ushered in Communism. It's here. It's part of our educational system's basic "truth".

Yeah....my comments were about Medicare that I've had for a couple decades. At this point, I have NO CLUE as to what changes there will be for Medicare people of my age. The amount covered has been reducing steadily. Co-pays have gone up. The amount they are "willing" to give to doc or ER is reducing....making it hard to be your doctor's favorite patient, btw.

But what I meant was that the 'back door' of paying cash might not be available...thus, don't count on it. [as the person from Canada shows]. That 'door' can be shut....is shut for some of us.

As for the current care system being slowly dragged out of the closet..... I have no clue. But be aware of what Medicare has been allllll these years.

Bit your fingers, huh, CGA? Yeah... :scratchhead: The rich can ALWAYS get more than those with less resources. That's the advantage of having money. That's the principle of economics (or as much as I can comprehend). More money....less money.... Without absolute communism, that won't ever change and .....should it? I don't like being governed by ONLY wealthy people cuz I don't think they can POSSIBLY represent me. But if they earned or inherited their wealth [by moral means].....good for them. If you're a decent human being, I will certainly associate with you. If you're a self-serving, conceited, immoral bum with wealth, do not apply for the job of representing me....or even being my neighbor. OK, I can't prevent anyone from moving in next door......hmm, not sure I have that much to say about who represents me either, do I. <_<

MtRider -- War against wealth is based on jealousy and is stupid. War against cheating, stealing, deceiving, and "ill-gotten gains based on throwing widows and orphans out into the street" (so to speak) ....that is a different story.

Edited by Mt_Rider
bit of clarity, lol

Okay I can't post links all I can say is that I've known this man all my life and this was said to him positively when he went for treatment, he does not lie. I'm not trying to scare or spread false rumors, I would never knowingly do that. I know the RN that told this to my co-worker for many years. I know many stories and false rumors will be spread, I don't want to do that. But what I wrote was told to me first hand. So you can believe it or not. Always check it's a good thing. I was passing on what I know happened, because I was so shocked & worried what it would bring for my dad. . So I'l leave it there.

I guess Sarah Palin was right after all when she spoke of the consequences of O-care :(

I think what scares me most is what little respect our society as a whole seems to have for human life. Who's to say that an 80 or 100 year old life is not worth saving?? They're overlooking the VALUE of the life on its own, as well as all those people contributed in their lives, they helped build families, communities, the nation, and then get turned on like that. Sick. Definitely scary times we're in imo.

Denise, I don't think it is that people don't believe he was told that he couldn't have chemo over 76, but that the person who told him that was in error. That is why everybody needs to know for sure what they are covered for and if necessary can correct the medical personnel who are denying them the benefits.

I know the elderly are going to get the short end of the stick but so are middle age people who are sick.

A couple of years ago my cousin had kidney failure. She was on dialysis 3 times a week. She lived like this for many years. The last time she was in the hospital, they (whomever 'they' are) told her she probably had 6 months to live and there was nothing more they could do for her. They told her to contact hospice and they told her to not come back to the hospital again. She was stunned. Mostly she was afraid. She was afraid she would have a heart attack or stroke or something and no one would help her. She was also afraid she would be in pain with no help available to her. She had great insurance from her husband, disability insurance and Medicare (or Medicaid I don't know which). It didn't matter though, she was a drain on the system.

Her cardiologist told her outright that he would no longer see her because she smoked. I understand his point of view but he was getting paid to see her regardless of his personal feelings. Guess he didn't want losing a patient on his resume. That hurt her too.

A couple of weeks before all of this we vacationed together. About a week after they told her this, she asked me to come see her. When I got there hospice had been there and set her up with a hospital bed. They also gave her pain meds and all the morphine she wanted. She died two days after I got there. Her 6 months lasted less than 2 weeks. She was 58 years old.

Seeing her in that bed reminded me of that scene in Soylent Green. The one where Edward G. Robinson went into that 'happy' room to die.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Jeepers

My mother-in-law is in her 80's and they started chemo on her about a month ago for a very early stage leukemia. I believe she has had 2 rounds of 2 shots daily for a week each :( and 3 blood transfusions. She has her medicare and a small supplement insurance.