MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Seniors - This Is For Real

I think in the end, most people who look at the health care subject rationally realizes that we can't afford all that was promised. It's not sustainable. Which leaves few options.....either tax the snot out of everybody, limit services (especially expensive services), or reduce the reimbursement to the providers down so low that they refuse to see patients, which in and of itself helps limit services. One only needs to look to Britain to see our future.

Naturally, there is no mention of 'death panels' in ObamaCare. However, it did set up the Independent Payment Advisory Board to help keep the lid on Medicare expenses. Right now, it doesn't allow for rationing, but who knows what would happen say 10 years from now, if the President at the time acts just like this one and rules by his own dictates.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottatlas/2012/10/21/ipab-president-obamas-nice-way-to-ration-care-to-seniors/

The fear of patients, doctors, hospitals, insurance companies and small businesses started when he was elected the first time. Most people knew what was coming. I was affected a couple of years after his first election. I'll spare you all my whine over my insurance monthly bill...again. It may have gone into effect Oct 1st. but it started long before that.

My dad has macular degeneration. He is 78 years old. For the last several years, he has went every two weeks and had shots in his eyes to help him see. He went last week, they told him he can now only have the procedure every seven weeks, due to obamacare rules. Snoopes can post what they want, but I KNOW this is true.

What was Oct 1st if it hasn't started yet?

Open enrollment for Obamacare started October 1st; the actual coverage doesn't begin until 1/1/14.

However, some insurance companies/providers are choosing to start following the guidelines now. For example, we're self-insured where I work (state goverment). When the change to cover dependents until 26 started (1/1/12) our rules were dependents were covered until 24. Rather than taking off dependents at age 24, when the parents could turn around and add them back onto coverage in a few months, we decided to keep dependents on until age 26 starting 9/1/11.

The rules all seem to be in a state of flux. One foot in each tub, so to speak. My uncle has finally had knee surgery...one down, one to go next week. They said initially that he was too old......

MtRider -- The Interpretation Of Chaos creates it's own reality! :yar:

It seems that the protocols are all over the place...some things allowed in some areas and not in others. I've heard of people being denied other types of treatments and was shocked that they are doing so much chemo on my MIL at her age. She starts round four tomorrow and wants to die because it makes her so ill. She gets so sick and dizzy that she's had a couple of bad falls. Dh has asked her repeatedly to get a second opinion and she just tells him that "They are professionals and they know what they're doing." :(

In some cases, even the ability to appeal has changed. With our current insurance (started last Spring), we can no longer appeal for medications to be covered if they aren't in the prescription plan. It used to be that if a particular medication wasn't covered, I could appeal it and have my doc submit records showing the other meds covered by the insurance weren't effective for me or weren't safe for me (due to allergies). It didn't always go through, but was worth trying. No more.

This is just my two-cents worth and humble opinion. I know this can't apply to all situations, but now may be a good time to look into holistic options for even the worst of diseases. I personally know of two people who cured themselves of cancer avoiding the "cut, poison, burn" approach that lines the pockets of pharmacutical companies, and simply changed their diet and used holistic methods. I have spoken to an oncologist nurse who said he is absolutely convinced cancer and disease is nutrition related. If we can keep ourselves away from mainstream medicine as much as humanly possible and look into alternative methods, we may just be able to avoid some dire situations. Like I said, I know this cannot apply to everyone or every situation, but it just may be helpful in certian circumstances.

Cootie

Edited by anyala

As wife to a chiropractor.....ya gotta wonder how long wholistic practitioners will be "allowed" to continue their professions. Let's just say we aren't holding our breath... <_<

But being in the best shape you can be on your own is a great first step in not needing medical care under this insane program.....or after Hooey-Hits-Fan. I'd imagine we could all make better choices, especially nutritionally. :feedme:

MtRider :shakinghead:

I can say without a doubt that modern "medicine" has done me much more harm than good and what little good they have accomplished would have been done better with herbs and diet than with their toxic drugs. The side effects frequently have been worse than the original illness.

I once worked for a holistic chiropractor. Interesting old man full of wisdom and knowledge. Made me wonder sometimes. Anyway, he had an antique machine he would hook up to some patients, manipulating this and that dial. He would conclude that this or that was making them sick. Time and time again I saw patients come back a few weeks later, saying their MD had confirmed his diagnosis. Most of them would choose the old doc's remedies over the pharmaceutical ones. It amazed me to see how quickly, even the worst sick person, would heal.

Blestmomof4, my MIL decided against the worst of the chemo. After a years worth of treatments, her tests have been coming back in the 'normal' range. (This month is the Dr visit that either ends or extends her treatments. - praying for "ends".)

Modern medicine, IMHO, is mostly money generating practices. I rarely see concern by any medical person.

All this change to the insurance industry has my hackles up, it's a wait and see game. Yannno, like " ... you gotta pass the bill before you can see what is in it...."

It seems that the protocols are all over the place...some things allowed in some areas and not in others. I've heard of people being denied other types of treatments and was shocked that they are doing so much chemo on my MIL at her age. She starts round four tomorrow and wants to die because it makes her so ill. She gets so sick and dizzy that she's had a couple of bad falls. Dh has asked her repeatedly to get a second opinion and she just tells him that "They are professionals and they know what they're doing." :(

That's sad. Her generation tends to think that way about doctors. My mom is 76 and had colon cancer surgery 5 years ago in October and refused chemo. DH's aunt had colon cancer surgery about a month after Mom and chose to have chemo. Aunt has had a miserable 5 years with 2 rounds of chemo and one of radiation, awful side effects, 4 months in the hospital this summer and she still can't walk. Mom has had a great 5 years. She says even if her cancer comes back, she won't have chemo or radiation.

She just had a CT scan and blood work last week and goes back this week for results. Her scan last Oct was great. She thinks she feels a tumor in her abdomen. I hope not but we will take what comes. Of course, we pray for good results.

• 1 month later...

Premiums for Medicare Part B will stay at $104.90 a month for 2014, the same as in 2013, according to the Center for Medicare Services. That's about the only 'good' news I've been able to come up with. I guess the SS increase will be 1.5% which might be good enough to buy one extra can of tuna fish if it were not the fact that prices increased on many needed products by 50%-100%.

...I'll take that good news and..

...pass on the tuna anyway unless it was caught far, far away from Fukoshima waters...

MtRider -- We could make a game of being gloomy these days, couldn't we. <_<