MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can glass canning jars be used in the freezer?

I made some spagetti sauce and wanted to freeze it. In the past I've tried freezer bags, and even the plastic freezer jars along with a few other plastic containers that said for freezing on them. I have had issues with all of them in the past, and was wondering if it is safe to freeze in the glass canning jars. And if so, how much space should I leave at the top in the quart jars?

Only specific ones can be used that are designed for freezer. Some actually have the word on the jar, but what you are looking for is a tapered wide-mouth jar (wider at top than on bottom) with no neck. Just remember to allow expansion when frozen.

I made some spagetti sauce and wanted to freeze it. In the past I've tried freezer bags, and even the plastic freezer jars along with a few other plastic containers that said for freezing on them. I have had issues with all of them in the past, and was wondering if it is safe to freeze in the glass canning jars. And if so, how much space should I leave at the top in the quart jars?

Have you considered buying some cheapy ice trays, putting your sauce into it (for cubes), set them in your "quick freeze" section. Then, pop them out into vacuum sealer bags and vacuum seal them? Herbs, bouillon & stocks are often done this way.

Ball makes a special jar for freezing. The only difference is the sides are straight up and down so you can get the frozen stuff out easier. The food still has to thaw a little bit though. If I want to freeze anything in a jar I just use a wide mouth jar. They are shaped almost the same as the 'freezer' jars and I already have them.

When I freeze juices, I use plastic juice jugs. Leave the lid not quite tight until it freezes and then tighten it up. But, I have also frozen juice, spaghetti sauce and chili in glass canning jars and hever had one break. I don't bother with which size lid as this stuff will come out when thawed.

If you want to thaw quickly, loosen the lid and put the jar, standing up, in a sink or bowl of barely warm water. As it thaws, it will pour out until the major part will fit through the lid.

I know in the past, I've frozen milk and I've just poured some of it out for expansion, and then put it in the freezer...but not in glass. I also have frozen other foods in jars, but I leave alot of head space and the lids off until they're just about frozen, then put the lids on. Don't know why this wouldn't also work for canning jars?

As previously stated, it can and is done "if" the proper jars are used that have no neck and the sides of the jars are tapered outward so there is no restriction when freezing/expansion occurs. Of course frozen glass is more fragile so one has to be careful with them.

I personally don't do it since jars are bulky in the freezer so I prefer FoodSaver bags.

I too prefer foodsaver vacuum sealed bags CN...but you have to be very careful that the food is cool/cold before putting it in them and to prevent the fluids from being sucked up into my machine, I put it first in a ziplock bag, zip it nearly shut, pull off the plastic tab, then put it into my vacuum sealed bag. I double seal both bottom & top. So far I've not had any leakage. I have a "quick freeze" shelf in my frig freezer, so that's where I lay them flat, until they're frozen. Then I can move them elsewhere. I have to be very careful though that they don't get crushed or bent by other foods. This site has so much info I am always amazed!

About the only thing I freeze are meals I make in big batches like chili or beef and noodles etc. I freeze individual servings in freezer boxes. If I run out of room I could take out the frozen square of food and vacuum seal it and return it back to the freezer I suppose. I thought about vacuum sealing the entire box with the food in it. My thinking was it would be double sealed but so far nothing has ever been freezer burned just using the boxes. I have had ice crystals though.

I store our left-overs in my jars in the frig side, but not the freezer. That way we get them eaten within days! LOL I just don't like plastic for our food if I can avoid it. Started doing the jar thing quite some time ago when one of my "expensive" storage containers was left with a terrible speghetti stain that I like to never got out. Figured somewhere in that stain was food???