MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

ANGRY ISN'T THE RIGHT WORD

My mother is in hospital "again" ... and her min-pin mix is being watched over by my son who lives in the upper apartment. Last time, this dog bit me severly when mom was in hospital. Son called & said the dog was chewing up the carpeting around her crate, so mother asked if Mountain Man would cut a piece of plywood or something to put under it so she couldn't chew up the carpeting. When we got there, MM saw it was a piece of carpeting that had been placed in the crate and the dog was chewing it up & then vomiting it back up. He opened the front door of the crate and the monster from hell attacked him, literally chewing up his right hand & left several severe puncture wounds that took me some time to cleanse & get the bleeding to stop & bandaged. The only way he got his right hand free was to slam the crate door shut, at which time she bit his left hands & fingers. I have told mother and son both (he has 2 dogs) that if either of the dogs bite another person, I will have them removed from "our" property! We couldn't take MM to the emergency room because it would be reported as a dog bite (our city ordinances require it to be reported) and our insurance on the house would be cancelled, since our agent told us when we bought the house that if mom's dogs bit, they would probably cancel our policy. When the attack took place, I can honestly say I could have killed a dog with my own bare hands! MM's a very gentle person so he was able to not strangle it. I cannot tell you just what I'm feeling because angry just isn't the right word. I think perhaps "livid" would be more correct. Mother loves her dogs but I have given her, son, and all relatives my orders that NOBODY is to enter that apartment unless this dog is in her crate, locked securely and people warned not to go near the crate. This is probably going to cause hard feelings but it's a decision we have made with not much effort! Grrrrrrr!

Is the dog vaccinated? If not, MM needs to be. Rabies can take three years to show up, and as soon as it manifests, the chance for cure is gone.

Print out those pictures to show her when she objects.

Oh my. That is horrible.

I love, love, love dogs. But humans have to come first. That dog is dangerous and unfortunately you will be be held responsible. I remember when it bit you. It bit both of you without provocation now. Poor MM. My hands hurt for him! And to think he couldn't go get it taken care of. Good thing the dog didn't sever a tendon or go for his face. I'm angry for you. :hug3:

That is such a hard situation. I know you want to take your mom's feelings into consideration, but it bit you AND your hubby. Think of all the nasty bacteria it could have put into his hands. I am a huge dog lover, but when an animal is that vicious it should be put to sleep. I think of so many situations where you will be held liable.

Time to put down the dog. Next time it could be a child or visitor to the property and you could be sued.

Or it could accidently get out of the house and go after anyone in the area. With your mom's age and her health issues, I'm sure she couldn't run after it.

Is the dog vaccinated? If not, MM needs to be. Rabies can take three years to show up, and as soon as it manifests, the chance for cure is gone.

Print out those pictures to show her when she objects.

Yes, thankful the "witch" is vaccinated. But I'd like to "vaccinate" her with a round from my Phoenix.

oh Philbe, that dog is dangerous. It's a shame you can't report it, it would give your mom someone other than you and MM to blame for it being put to sleep. I hate to see animals put down, but when it's one like this, the risk to people has been proven to be far greater! Maybe you could use the legal ramifications of being sued if it bites someone else as reason for getting all the dogs off the property -- the next person it bites may not think twice about reporting it.

We had a dog ages ago who would nip at ds's legs. Step-dad's uncle wanted it --- well, the dog just got worse, to the point where it ripped part of his hand pretty bad. Dog was put down asap by the SPCA when it was reported he bit like that.

Hoping MM feels better soon and has no infection or anything from this!

Edited by lumabean

As a "receipient" of a dog bite------ it does NOT get better. Once they bite, they will usually be a repeat offender. My neighbors dog went after me, knocked me to the ground and bit me badly. I had been around that dog for 11 years without a problem. After biting 3 different people, she had it put down. Please consider having a talk with your mother.

Dog bites are a hard thing to overcome mentally and physically.

You know your mother is probably next? And that her skin is so delicate you'll have to take her to the doctor? And then you *will* lose your insurance.

Take her to the pound now, while your mother is away and is already processing other problems, and tell her that you had to because otherwise you would have lost your insurance.

Want to post this here since the subject is wounds. We literally drove all over town today trying to find "steri-strip" type wound closure bandages and they were NOT to be found. Every pharmacy had the rack for them but they were empty. We had to resort to stocking up on the butterfly-type (which is a 2nd choice). The last pharmacy we went to told us she was supposed to have them stocked, so ordered them right then and there and said they'd be in tomorrow. We'll be stocking them! Just wanted to give everybody a heads up...if you don't have steri-strip or butterfly-type bandages in your medical supplies, you'll need them!

How are Mt. Man's hands doing?

Much better! Gave them a good peroxide boil this morning, patted them with Bentadine, then anibiotic ointment and clean bandages. He said the pain isn't near as bad today. Bentadine has a "soothing" effect on wounds, that's why I stock it. Also...don't forget what I shared moons ago about stocking up on doggie "blood clotting" stuff (when vets clip nails to close) because it works wonderfully on humans and is CHEAP! Be prepared though...it does turn the open wound part black! LOL But, it stops the bleeding and contains benzocaine (a pain reliever) in it. You'll find it at PetCo and PetSmart stores.

Want to post this here since the subject is wounds. We literally drove all over town today trying to find "steri-strip" type wound closure bandages and they were NOT to be found. Every pharmacy had the rack for them but they were empty. We had to resort to stocking up on the butterfly-type (which is a 2nd choice). The last pharmacy we went to told us she was supposed to have them stocked, so ordered them right then and there and said they'd be in tomorrow. We'll be stocking them! Just wanted to give everybody a heads up...if you don't have steri-strip or butterfly-type bandages in your medical supplies, you'll need them!

I don't think these are exactly what you are looking for, but I ordered 4 boxes of them last week, so 400 and for less than $15...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013H53YW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think these are exactly what you are looking for, but I ordered 4 boxes of them last week, so 400 and for less than $15...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013H53YW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just wanted to check the link to make sure it all showed up...Those stinkin things have gone to over $5 a box, in just a few days. I paid $3.71 a box, with free shipping. For pity sakes! I'd still buy them....The day will come with these chicks where I may be very thankful to have them.