MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Find It

I found a neat toy that would be a good gift for `tweens to adults. It would be good for car trips, time outs, waiting for an appointment or any down time. Best of all it is not an electronic device. No charging it up, no batteries, no lost parts and nothing else to buy for add ons. It is a little pricy at around $20.00 but most gifts start around that these days.

It's called "Find It'. It's a clear plastic tube about 11 inches long and filled with little colored bead things. Inside are around 30 plastic shapes you have to find by turning and shaking the beads around. When you find it you mark it off of a little score pad that is included. It's not as easy as it sounds. I hear there is a penny inside of them that is very hard to find. Don't know about that though.

They would also be good in a SHTF situation to keep someone occupied if there is no electricity; and everyone else is too busy to play a game. When I saw one I searched all over for them. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Toys-R-Us etc. They aren't sold in stores as of yet... so don't waste your time like I did. Sigh. They have a website but I got mine at Amazon. I bought 2 different ones so I could get free shipping. Skewed thinking I know but you know those 'FREE SHIPPING' words can cloud your judgment.

I looked at it and thought it would be pretty easy to make. But by the time you bought a plastic tube, end caps, glue, lots of those little beads and the little toys to go inside, it probably wouldn't be that much cheaper.

But wait there's more... I kinda figured after I played with it awhile I could always gift it to someone. It does slip right out of the box. Just leaving my options open and justifying. :hidingsmile:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=find%20it&sprefix=find+it%2Caps%2C292&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afind%20it

YUP - I LOVE those! And you're right - they're great for all ages.

I have seen them around for at least 10 years. LilDD wanted one years ago but we didn't have the money. I bought 3 of the Veggie Tales games when they had a good sale last year, and each of my kids will have one for their family. DGS has played with LilDD's. (I gave her one right away.) :happy0203: DGS will get one for Christmas, I think.

http://www.amazon.com/Find-It-Games-Veggie-Tales/dp/B004LMW2ZY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1384145156&sr=8-10&keywords=find+it

The *only* thing we haven't ever found is the penny. I'm wondering if they really have one.

Those are cute! I have my own homemade versions in my classroom. Clear plastic water bottle, colored rice (food coloring or liquid watercolors and vinegar) and little trinkets to find. Super glue the lid on. I do them by themes...letters of the alphabet, things that are blue , items based on a book. I use different sized bottles too. I saw a website years ago where a kinder teacher had lists of ideas based on children's books but I've since lost it. The hardest part is finding the little pieces that will fit through the bottle hole.

A few years ago, Cabelas even had an Outdoor version. At that time, they stated it was made in the USA. I ordered one for DH for Christmas. It was made in China. I returned it. I contacted Find It games through their website to express my displeasure (apparently a year or so before that, they quit making them in the USA). It's been a couple years and they still email their newsletter. I've tried several times to me removed from that, but no luck.

Making them at home sounds neat. I'll have to check that out.

I checked the links. (Thank you!) I want to make DH one for Christmas. I buy Kraft parm. cheese in the big round containers from Sam's Club. I think that would make a good container for it.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

I'm having a fun scavenger hunt at home today to find small items to put in the homemade game for DH for Christmas. I'm also a little more aware that stuff in the junk drawers seems to somehow be reproducing! I think my best find so far was a tiny Coleman lantern (off of a keychain).

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

Some ideas for small objects for a homemade "Find It" bottle;

button

small safety pin

thimble

paper clip

push pin

staple

small brass fastener

eraser head

nut

bolt

nail

screw

tiny twig

pretty rock

coin

marble

ring from a pop top

half of a twisty tie

dried bean

popcorn kernel

Add your ideas to the list...

Some ideas for small objects for a homemade "Find It" bottle;

button

small safety pin

thimble

paper clip

push pin

staple

small brass fastener

eraser head

nut

bolt

nail

screw

tiny twig

pretty rock

coin

marble

ring from a pop top

half of a twisty tie

dried bean

popcorn kernel

Add your ideas to the list...

Thanks, Jeepers. You have a couple there I hadn't thought of, like the dried bean.

Adding your list:

small suction cup

key

plastic crayon sharpener

old keychain

Christmas orament (I can't spell today!) hook

empty shell casing (not for kids who might take the game it to school)

small seashell

clothespin

So, Hubba & I were at Goodwill Friday & believe it or not, I FOUND THE SPORTS FIND IT!!! It was in the box with the pad, looked to be new! $3.99!!!

AND!!!!! We have found the penny (a few times). We love this contraption. Never heard of it unti this post & I walk into Goodwill & one magically appears! LOL

So, Hubba & I were at Goodwill Friday & believe it or not, I FOUND THE SPORTS FIND IT!!! It was in the box with the pad, looked to be new! $3.99!!!

AND!!!!! We have found the penny (a few times). We love this contraption. Never heard of it unti this post & I walk into Goodwill & one magically appears! LOL

:cele: