MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dry Skin

WormGuy

My name is Wormie and I have a problem. :blush:

Every winter I get an area of very dry skin on the inside of both legs from mid-calf down the the ankle bone. I put lotion on them but it does not help. I have scratched them so much that I get brusies. This has been going on for about 4-5 years.

When I'm in the shower the hot water makes me want to scream because it itches so much,and it is all I can do to not start scratching. I have tried different brands of soap and lotion and nothing helps. We make our own laundry soap and have been for about 7 years. No other part of my body gets like this and it only happens when the weather turns cold. I know that winter weather is dryer than in the summer, but I don't understand why it is only a part of my legs.

Does any one have any suggestions?

:wormie2:

John

When we lived in Wyo, we found the backs of our hands became so sore, dry, flaky, itchy to the point of bleeding! I also got really dry feet. The ONLY thing that worked was the Say Yes to Carrots Body Butter. It's spendy, but it will save a lot of blood & tears. Now we use it, because even in the South, we're experiencing this, though not AS bad as there. This year, we started early & it has PREVENTED all of the above.

I think I've tried most things out there. Right now, I'm limited to what I don't have a reaction to, but have been doing very well with that: CeraVe. They have lotion in pump bottles and jars of cream (thicker than the lotion). I get it in WM in the makeup-type aisle. It's actually made for people with eczema. It's pricy (I think the last jar I bought was about $15), but I don't react, so it's worth it to me.

DH works outside and gets very dry hands. He uses Udder Cream, but when it gets really bad, Bag Balm.

For soap, I use an olive oil soap. Before reactions, I used to use Dove and coat myself with baby oil before stepping out of the tub. The olive oil soap is working better than the Dove and baby oil used to.

Also, with the pellet stove running, our house is very dry (well, certain areas in the house are). We run a humidifier in the room where the pellet stove is. I think that makes a difference in my skin and sinuses.

Thank you ladies! :bouquet:

I will call Darlene next week and she what she thinks. Then I will try the crisco since I have some. Then I will try the bag balm, then the Say Yes To Carrott Butter, and finally the CeraVe. I'll give each item a two week trial before I switch the the next one. I hope something works.

John

Would be nice to figure out why it's only affecting specific areas of legs....

MtRider :scratchhead:

Different socks for winter?

Long johns? Different pants for winter? Either could be rubbing/fitting a certain way there?

Boots?

Winter clothes being a different material that what's worn the rest of the year (wool?), perhaps and again, fitting a certain way?

Dryer dried clothes instead of hung-dried and using something different? Or something such as using dryer sheets in the winter?

Different socks for winter?

Same socks year round.

Long johns?

Just started wearing them last week.

Different pants for winter?

Nope, same as socks.

Either could be rubbing/fitting a certain way there?

I don't see how with wearing the same pants & boots.

Boots?

Same boots year round.

Winter clothes being a different material that what's worn the rest of the year (wool?), perhaps and again, fitting a certain way?

I don't think so.

Dryer dried clothes instead of hung-dried and using something different?

Same dryer sheets, same detergent.

Or something such as using dryer sheets in the winter?

Use the year round.

Good points that I had not thought of but I wear the same clothes all the time and they are washed and dried the same year round.

John

I had this problem on my hands that started when the weather got colder.

But when I stopped all soy products, as in cooking oils and in foods, and

then stopped feeding it to the animals-reaching inside the sack of feed

was the main problem- direct contact- but consuming soy products was

getting me coming and going.

I have had no further problems since I am 90% soy free....

it is difficult to get totally away from the product as it used

so many ways.

Hey Wormie......could you be having a histamine reaction to cold? Does this happen after you've come in from the cold? You didn't say that but I experience an odd ITCH reaction.

Now I just wear more layers of clothes on my legs but years ago, when I'd come in [having gotten pretty chilled wearing merely jeans], I'd get swelling and ITCHING up and down my legs. Front of thighs, particularly. Esp. if there had been a cutting wind. :frozen:

Found out years later at an allergy appointment, that I have an actual histamine reaction to cold. The doc was dubious when I described it but tested with an ice cube. Sure enough, it raised a distinct swelling. Incredulous, the Doc called in the other doctors to take a look. :blink:

Yeah.....so you're not the only weird one, Wormie. :lol:

MtRider - allergic to particulate matter [smoke/dust] and...... :frozen: ice cubes. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mt_Rider
spellin'

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

Sometimes in the winter your skin gets dryer, humidity isn't the same and it makes your skin get dryer.

Have you ever heard of "Winter Eczema", Oldpine gets the same thing on his legs, so he uses 'Corn Huskers Lotin'. I don't know if you have heard of it or seen it, but, it is good. Try your drug store and see if they have it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Winter-Eczema tells you about the winter eczema. Here is another site. http://www.allabouthealth.org.uk/articles/beat-eczema-this-winter

Hope this helps. :)

enjoyyourdaysnowman.gifHUGS37.gif

Snowmom, I went to the local feed store and they were out of Corn Huskers lotion. :(

But, I guess Mrs. Wormie read this because she came home with a bottle of CeraVe. ooth hit a home run...since I have been using it I have not had any itching at all. Guess I need to keep a couple bottles in stock. Thanks again for all the suggestions. :bighug2:

John