MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Momo

It's a new year!

It's a good time to do an annual budget, plan out your yearly financial goals, gather and study last years receipts for guidance( also to prep for your 2013 tax return), put your financial life in order...plan as much as possible instead of reacting! If you changed insurance plans study your new deductibles and coverages so you won't make any costly mistakes!

I also mark the date of 2014 on a whole book of checks so I don't forget and put 2013 down! It takes us old folks a few weeks to remember. LOL

Our married DD was really frustrated this week. She was doing their finances for the year and found that her DH has spent over $550 *JUST* on buying junk food from the quicky-marts on his way home and while running around on trips. They also spent over $7,000 eating out. :0327:

(Not sure if his junk food was included in that - I'm guessing it is.)

She is starting to get it. They finally did the Dave Ramsey program and she got a lot out of it. Him, not so much. He's *never* had as much as they have right now, so he kinda doesn't get it yet... how much BETTER it could be.

He doesn't want her buying ahead on sales and stocking up. Consequently if they get stuck at home, they're stuck. Last time they were snowed in, it was at the old house and I had put away some spaghetti & sauce and frozen hamburger, along with soups. I bought them a wind-up lantern and a case of water, and it came in handy when their power went out at *this* house.

She has it in her. And she's tough and strong. With 2 children, she'll learn to never be caught with nothing. Problem is, in their subdivision, how many *others* will have nothing??? :shrug:

I bought a new-to-me car the day after Christmas; my Trailblazer had 283,000 miles on it, and I work 55 miles from home. It had so many things that needed to be fixed, it wasn't worth putting the money into. Not to mention the gas! So now I have a 2012 Toyota Corolla. :D Only has 13,000 miles on it. There is a commuter bus that picks up about 30 miles from my house, and my employer provides a free-to-me bus pass. So every chance I get, I'll be on it instead of driving all the way in; will save money that way.

Anyway, once I got back home from the car purchase, I pulled out my base budget spreadsheet to plug in the new payment and new insurance premium. Discovered I hadn't really accounted for the raise I got back in July, so recalculated with that as the new base. Found that even with the new payment amounts, I still have $480 monthly not allocated. :puzzledsmile: But, I have no emergency fund to speak of-just been cash flowing things. Soooo....I pulled out my Dave Ramsey books, found a debt snowball spreadsheet and started plugging numbers. Figured that I'll have the $1000 baby emergency fund the end of March, and can have my 2 debts (student loan and new car purchase) paid off in March 2017! May 2018 at the latest (house I live in is up for sale, so there could be a move during that time).

I turned 50 back in November, and luckily I have a pension where I work, since I don't have anything socked away for retirement! :shakinghead: And right now I'm thinking about retiring in about 12 years. I better get a move on; I can do it by sticking to plan. :cheer:

I'm starting off well. Paid off my medical bills...so no more credit card debt! For the first time, I'm on track to fully fund my Roth. I've bought some new furniture to replace the stuff that's hell on Sweetie's back. And if things continue to go well I may have my car paid off a year early. From here out it's aggressive saving time.

Now I just have to get better on the meal planning- with only two of us here we waste more food than we should...

I got caught up on our monthly reconciling of our credit card account. I was about 4 months behind. I don't like doing it because off all the accounts the receipts have to go in to. Between personal and business, it takes hours every month. On the brighter side, the CPA loves it at tax time. :scratchhead:

I really want to get on a budget but realize the time commitment. :sSig_help2: I keep saying it. Maybe I should do it since we're already 2/3rds of the way there through Quicken. :sigh:

I'll commit to it since DH is heading to the Congo tomorrow. I should have everything organized in the two weeks he'll be gone. :pray:

I got caught up on our monthly reconciling of our credit card account. I was about 4 months behind. I don't like doing it because off all the accounts the receipts have to go in to. Between personal and business, it takes hours every month. On the brighter side, the CPA loves it at tax time. :scratchhead:

I really want to get on a budget but realize the time commitment. :sSig_help2: I keep saying it. Maybe I should do it since we're already 2/3rds of the way there through Quicken. :sigh:

I'll commit to it since DH is heading to the Congo tomorrow. I should have everything organized in the two weeks he'll be gone. :pray:

What would Philbe do without Quicken! :-)

I do paper bookkeeping, accounting and taxes for our home and business.

My computers died too many times. Lost the hard drives 3 times and the recovery companies said they could not get anything off them. Luckily, I started the business doing paper, got quicken, lost it ..... had my ledgers as back up. After the 3rd time, I gave up on it. It is so much easier for me, using the accounting books I kept from college. (hehehe.... IRS had a heart attack when I walked in for my audit, with 4 paper filing boxes and 3 ring binders full of ledgers. They asked for the disc.... then, said they had not seen hand written records in years. hahaha)

My computers died too many times. Lost the hard drives 3 times and the recovery companies said they could not get anything off them. Luckily, I started the business doing paper, got quicken, lost it ..... had my ledgers as back up. After the 3rd time, I gave up on it. It is so much easier for me, using the accounting books I kept from college. (hehehe.... IRS had a heart attack when I walked in for my audit, with 4 paper filing boxes and 3 ring binders full of ledgers. They asked for the disc.... then, said they had not seen hand written records in years. hahaha)

All of our Quicken files are backed up on a thumb drive, and dropped into our fire safe. Accompanying paper work is kept in it's own place. If needed, we can always let "somebody" do our bookwork over again, starting with our paperwork! LOL As long as I've got a pc I can slip the thumb drive in and find what I need.

Yessssss Annarchy! DH and I are in COMPLETE agreement. :cheer:

Hooray for the regression of technology..... <_<

NO....I am NOT happy about the quality of the ongoing technology. Seems like we're "advancing" so fast that they've completely left any degree of quality behind. Yeah...great stuff but utterly unreliable.....and then it breaks or gets too outdated to function. Toss more junk in the landfill....

Several years ago, DH was forced to return to paper for his patient scheduling books. Just too many shutdowns leaving everyone massively confused. That is not conducive to successful business. :(

You can have all the backup you want.....and I have SEVERAL backups....but if the danged computer won't work, you cannot do business in some cases. At least by eliminating the schedule book from any crisis but fire, he's able to do business, even with the electricity out.....or messed up DSL or ....

Another good example of degrading quality while technological options increase is phone voice clarity....... :motz_6: I keep saying I'm gonna use a string and a couple of tin cans...and get as much clarity! Remember the days long ago when the person sounded like they were in the same room? Not..."Can you hear me now? What? Whaaaat?" As for distance of function from their base, the cordless phones get less and less. Most urban folks don't realize it cuz they're within the favored ZONE of cell phones. [who has house phones now?] But the new development of phones has not been very good out here in the granite Rockies. Something to do with megahertz mebbe? ...but ....that's beyond my science level. Can't get even line-of-sight from my house cordless phone anymore. Used to get function clear down the road. Now I just hope for a few open spots in my barnyard in case I have to call out for help. See MtR crawling on her belly to a spot to get phone service....

DH still does business books on the computer RELUCTANTLY and pays $$$ for a backup service. Has used backup service too. Now has been forced [by Obamacare law] to do patient records on the computer. [make it stop; make it stop] Already had to upgrade his tax business [buy a new laptop] due to laws forcing on-line filing of everyone's tax returns. He feels very vulnerable to cyber attack, and all the stupid computer malfunctions plus ZERO privacy for us, patients and tax clients. :mad:

I would absolutely love all this new technology .....it does lots of really cool things so fast.....BUT it's so unreliable AND the consequences [especially for business] are so drastic. :blink::0327: It's about as private as taking a bath on a city bus. :bathbaby:

I believe if DH loses the computer one more time, he'll revert back to those humongous paper "books"....if you can find them. It's just not worth it.

I type my stories and other data on computer and sometimes on paper notebooks. Great advantages to computer in editing and keeping all my fingers flexible/working. Holding a pencil kills my hand. BUT..... <_< I've lost too many things to really relax and enjoy it fully. I use the thumbdrives and backup frequently but...if you change computers [Apple to PC] and/or change word processing programs.... piffft! All gone. Cannot get them back. That.......is quite painful!!!!!!!!

...usta have a smilie of throwing computer off the desk.... :duck 1: Love and hate computers and other tech.

MtRider....now back to the thread topic.... :P

I know I would be shocked to find out how many weeks/months DH has spent fixing our computers over the past 15 years. :ashamed0002: It's getting better but I don't know if it's been worth the time/expense we've invested in it. :imoksmiley:

After watching him struggle with a smart phone (we're from the cellular industry), I'm not getting one!! I'll stay with my older one as long as possible. <_< I get tired of learning 'one more thing'. Most of them have over 100 pages to memorize and my brain is full. :misc-smiley-231:

Good! They're already giving you a hard time, why go out of your way to make it easy for them?

I'm using software to track our household expenses this year. In the past, I only used it for the business. I'm hoping that it will help to pinpoint areas where we are leaking money.

I am all finished with our tax information...I do it monthly so not much to do at the end of the year except total everything up and wait on w2 forms. Plan this year is to pay off small side note on house, some small bills, and hubby's welding truck. That only leaves two more monthly bills ( my pickup and Harley) to be paid off in 2015 then we are debt free!!!, I am only planning a few projects this year so I can put a lot of money into the bills and savings. I am so excited about getting stuff paid off I can't wait!!!,