MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fraud with credit card

I usually use my credit card for very certain things, checks for others , cash for something else

I used my card today for the first time in almost 3 weeks. It was denied.....knowing the balance I immediately called my card company.

Turns out Wal-Mart in a state I have not been to in 10 or more years denied the use of that card for $210.xx

How anyone got my card to copy it or what ever happened beats me. I will be getting a new card.

So keep your cards close and safe!!

There are many ways they get card numbers.

Any store that has a card reader can be compromised, card readers at gas stations are easily tampered with. Even ATM are tempered with. Now days, they have hand held scanners that can read cards as people pass by. I won't even go into the lack of security on the internet.

Yes, keep your cards close and always check your statements. If you have internet access to your account, check it regularly from a secure network/connection.

Sorry that happened to you. It's happened to me a couple of times too. One thing that gets me is the credit card companies don't seem too bothered by it. They pay it and issue a new card. I guess they are used to it. One of mine was used in Ireland a couple of years ago. Like I'm not going to notice that one.

I heard that US cards have the most stolen information in the world because we still use the magnetic strip and most other countries use a chip. Apparently, magnetic strips are easier to hack with electronics.

If you pay by check you have to provide identification like your drivers license .

But with a credit card or debit card nothing.

I am rather riled that my credit card company did not even notify me. This happened in December

and yesterday was the first time I used it in weeks and learned it was blocked. But the charge did

not appear on my card.Wal-Mart refused to accept the fraud. So my company did not pay but they

are going to go after the user.

I do not like to carry a lot of cash around with me. But neither am I happy about cards being copied.

I go to one particular fuel station in the south and use the same one I started with when I moved here .

They know me and accept my checks with out problem or ID.