MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Homesteader

Beef prices at an all time high

With all the beef killed in the blizzard in S.Dakota (?) I'm not the least bit surprised. Then all those ranchers that sent some of their stock to the farmers who lost their, again...not a bit surprised that the supply would be way down from the demand.

We eat more poultry and pork than beef. I have a 300# pig that is going to be butchered soon. That should keep us in meat for a while.

We mostly eat poultry and fish so beef isn't a priority on our menu other than hamburger. Perhaps next year I'll learn how to pressure can hamburger so it doesn't look like the dog food I've seen other people's canned hamburger look like :-( I've got some beef chunks canned that I caught on sale early this year as well as some chicken breasts. We've been extremely poor in doing any fishing this year :-( Mountain Man didn't even need his license and I don't need one. Maybe we'll do some spring fishing...who knows? LOL

Edited by Philbe

Freezers are full of deer and sale chicken and sale turkey. Beef for the year is at the butcher. I think we are pretty set. Gonna start canning pretty hard in a few weeks to get a lot of the chicken and turkey and misc canned up. Cellar is getting pretty full, but gonna add a lot more!!!

That was my first thought when I heard about the blizzard in South Dakota and all the cattle that were killed.....beef prices through the roof. :( Have already noticed it a bit, but then was looking through the local grocery ad that just came out today. Stew beef or cubed steak for $4.99 a pound!! :0327: They also have chuck roast for $3.49 a pound, so IF I was wanting to get stew meat, I would buy that and cut it up. But other than chicken, ground beef is all I've been getting here too.

Oh, and I noticed that my store brand light tuna is now up to 89 cents for a 5 ounce can. :sigh:

Sheesh Catwrangla! 89¢ is a really good sale price for a can of tuna here. It usually runs $1.20- $1.50.

High beef prices are good for your health but hard on the pocketbook!

Dh and I are considering getting more chickens and raising some of them strictly for the meat.

I hear all the time about beef prices going down (everyone is selling because of the drought), they didn't here. And prices going up (people lost cattle during the blizzard and the drought, huh?) but around here the prices stay pretty much the same which is high.

I think I remember that when the blizzards killed off all of those cattle, the government swooped in and bought them up leaving the rest of the American consumers (we common folk) with nothing but higher prices.