MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How quickly will the stores empty?

Keeping milk/stuff cool is easy in a winter storm, even without electricity. Make ice outside and keep it in a back room in a cooler or crumpled-newspaper-insulated box.

In the summer storms, it makes less sense.

But.....at least folks are trying to prepare a bit..... Baby steps.

The next step is not being there when EVERYONE is trying to stock up at the last minute!

Say the word "hurricane" in Hawaii and *POOF*......ALL THE RICE IS GONE!

MtRider - :shopping: Stay warm, y'all!

Keeping milk/stuff cool is easy in a winter storm, even without electricity. Make ice outside and keep it in a back room in a cooler or crumpled-newspaper-insulated box.

In the summer storms, it makes less sense.

But.....at least folks are trying to prepare a bit..... Baby steps.

The next step is not being there when EVERYONE is trying to stock up at the last minute!

Say the word "hurricane" in Hawaii and *POOF*......ALL THE RICE IS GONE!

MtRider - :shopping: Stay warm, y'all!

Rice???? Not SPAM??? :24:

I went to Costco in the morning of Tuesday, it was packed. Should have gotten there when they first opened the doors... it was quite busy, but they were organized and I made it out unscathed, they did have most of their cash registers open. Later that night hubby and I went out and hit the grocery store on the way home, just to get mayo, forgot it earlier... it was probably around 10pm. I've been in the south for many years now but it still amuses me to see all of the bread, milk, eggs, bacon and oj gone... not sure about the tp, but its just funny to me. And yes, scary because you see how easily the system crumbles.

On a crazy sidenote, there was a shooting at a grocery store here, rumor has it people were scuffling over supplies. 2 shot (not critical), 1-2 arrested (depending on which report you listen to). Note to self, get last minutes supplies even earlier.

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/321297/40/2-people-shot-at-Lawrenceville-Kroger

Edited by LaBellaVita

You can keep bread OJ, and milk in the freezer. I always have bread baked ahead and frozen. Eggs will keep a long time in the fridge. Just buy an extra dozen and be sure to rotate so you eat the older dozen before the newer dozen. I always have canned and dry fruit on hand so if I can't get fresh, we still have fruit. Things like mayo will keep. I know it is easy to lose track of what is in the pantry and run out sometimes, but not worth risking an injury over.

The goal should be not to ever have to run out for last minute supplies. (Not picking on anybody, I don't know everyone's circumstances or whether it was possible to get supplies in ahead. I know I've run out of things at inopportune times too. Doesn't help to be planning your once a month trip and then get stuck at home with a nearly empty larder.)

good advice. I used to have a decent stash but we used it up when tight times hit. Slowly trying to rebuild it back up, don't have much yet but am starting to more seriously add to it. I've thought about "well, what if we really do move clear across the country this year, what about moving a bunch of preps?" Moving that doesn't sound like fun but I'd do it, why give it all away? That is money! I'll worry about the details when we are there and the details matter. In the meantime we'll prep, 'cause we don't 100% if we'll be able to get out of here this year.

You can keep bread OJ, and milk in the freezer. I always have bread baked ahead and frozen. Eggs will keep a long time in the fridge. Just buy an extra dozen and be sure to rotate so you eat the older dozen before the newer dozen. I always have canned and dry fruit on hand so if I can't get fresh, we still have fruit. Things like mayo will keep. I know it is easy to lose track of what is in the pantry and run out sometimes, but not worth risking an injury over.

The goal should be not to ever have to run out for last minute supplies. (Not picking on anybody, I don't know everyone's circumstances or whether it was possible to get supplies in ahead. I know I've run out of things at inopportune times too. Doesn't help to be planning your once a month trip and then get stuck at home with a nearly empty larder.)

Our stores were NUTS yesterday, too! We're in TN. I went to Kroger to get burger buns for dinner (last minute decision dinner plan) & then we passed by Food Lion. They ALWAYS have the.best.deals. on markdown meat, so of course, I had to stop in (I do everytime I pass or am in that area). I have NEVER seen more than a handful of folks in there. I always wonder how they stay open, but yesterday they were PACKED. While everyone else was getting cheetos & beer, we were busy cruising the very quiet thrift stores. It was FUN!!!

We've got PLENTY of everything else, then some + alternate means of heat, cooking, entertainment, etc. Laundry is caught up, cleaning is caught up enough, etc. We are blessed.

good advice. I used to have a decent stash but we used it up when tight times hit. Slowly trying to rebuild it back up, don't have much yet but am starting to more seriously add to it. I've thought about "well, what if we really do move clear across the country this year, what about moving a bunch of preps?" Moving that doesn't sound like fun but I'd do it, why give it all away? That is money! I'll worry about the details when we are there and the details matter. In the meantime we'll prep, 'cause we don't 100% if we'll be able to get out of here this year.

The cheapest food you've every bought is food you bought last year or even longer. We moved our complete pantry to the Little House, took us 4 trips or so, but we got it moved, windows secured, doors secured, safety lighting outside and glad we did! Then we started a 7-day pantry here. When I use from it, I replenish at the beginning of each month (we're retired & on fixed income) what we've used. If I see items that are not getting used up here or something free or on sale, I move them to Little House unless it needs to be canned or dehydrated. Then I get it prepared and then...to Little House. We don't touch the Little House pantry...we confident that everything will keep just fine there indefinitely but I do check all the seals on my home canned stuff & check my can organizers for any signs of leaks etc. The temp in that pantry is extremely cool but not freezing (we keep all heat vents shut off) and windows are sealed to keep both cold, heat & light from getting in. So stock your pantry and move it with you, you'll be glad you did!

Edited by Philbe

I'm in 'eat down mode' right now, myself, so I'll have less to move. It is hard not to be nervous about letting your stocks get low pending a move that might get delayed again and again.

I hated that the 2 times we moved cross country (kept most for local-ish moves). I'll be rethinking for our next move :/

If you can use the eggs "scrambled" like in a recipe or to cook.. you can scramble them and freeze them. That's how I take eggs camping unless we really really want fried eggs. I like freezing anything I can that won't be needed for the first day or two (depending on temps) so that it all keeps better.

I haven't noticed that weather causes any issues here but people here are very used to not losing electricity (longest we've lost electricity here in the last 13 yrs has been 1 hour) .. at least not until the weather means difficulty getting in more supplies.. and even then it's rare for everything in a category to be gone.. more like the cheapest bread is completely gone and the gallon 2% milk is gone but there is some bread and some types of milk. But people here are used to being very rural and still have that more prepared and less flappable attitude anyway.

What I have noticed though is that if shipments are on time things stay pretty well stocked up. But things on great sales will often run out before the next shipment or if a shipment is delayed things start running out.

how much did you take? I've been thinking about that. Might need to do a partial 'eat down mode' too. But I'm not comfortable wtih the idea of going through all of it. Not yet anyhow. But moving it 2000 miles sounds like a big deal too. Sigh....

I'm in 'eat down mode' right now, myself, so I'll have less to move. It is hard not to be nervous about letting your stocks get low pending a move that might get delayed again and again.

I hated that the 2 times we moved cross country (kept most for local-ish moves). I'll be rethinking for our next move :/

LBV- we took about 10-15% of our food, I guess. We had a LOT more HBA, because you just don't go through that. It ended up being ok, though, because less than 6 mos after we moved, we switched to a whole foods way of life. We didn't go empty handed. I'd say whittle it down to 10-20% of what you have. If you have 1 year's worth of food, hang on to 1-2 months. Don't go empty handed. If you have a LOT of HBA, see if you can sell it at a yard sale & tuck the money away into an envie for post move. We did the same with anything we sold as far as furniture, knick knacks, etc. We saved ALL money from yard sales & craigslist to purchase new (to us) things after the move.

<blush> :blush: can you tell me what HBA stands for?

We have started tucking money away, need to get better at it. A big ole pickle jar that my son made a label for, "Paradise Falls," which stands for <insert dream location of choice> :thumbs:

LBV- we took about 10-15% of our food, I guess. We had a LOT more HBA, because you just don't go through that. It ended up being ok, though, because less than 6 mos after we moved, we switched to a whole foods way of life. We didn't go empty handed. I'd say whittle it down to 10-20% of what you have. If you have 1 year's worth of food, hang on to 1-2 months. Don't go empty handed. If you have a LOT of HBA, see if you can sell it at a yard sale & tuck the money away into an envie for post move. We did the same with anything we sold as far as furniture, knick knacks, etc. We saved ALL money from yard sales & craigslist to purchase new (to us) things after the move.

You wanted to see crazy you should have been here in Alabama when hurricane Katerina was going to hit. We were told we could be without power for a week if the power went out (and let me tell ya it got nasty clear up here and there was power outages) I was a manager in Winn Dixie (grocery store) and let me tell ya people went crazy! When the night ended there was NOTHING left on the shelves! It took like 3-4 days to get any trucks in because the area where the warehouse was got hit some (that's where folks never think is what if the warehouses get it). We had to read shelf tags to know where everything went cause the shelves was bare. Usually with snow or ice your only stuck in the house for a day or 2 so I would think they would have enough at home to get by that long. I keep the shelf stable milk and if I couldn't get bread I have flour and yeast. I worry about keeping warm in winter and cool in summer if the power goes out. Mostly I worry about my DDs and DGKs, cause they do not have a stash.