MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mt__Rider,  You use plenty of water for boiling the collards.  You need to put the jowl meat in to cook first.  Once that is cooked add your collards.  Do not put any other ingredents in untill the collards are starting to get tender. Add water if needed.  Once collards are starting to get tender add everything except the salt. When they are fully tender then add salt to taste.   Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1
On 10/22/2019 at 4:57 PM, Littlesister said:

Annarchy, I don't really care for beets. So have not tried the beet greens. Maybe If I can find some I will try them. You never know. I might like them. 

DH doesn’t like pickled beets.  He got me a huge canister of non-GMO heirloom seeds and it had several varieties of beet seeds.  

I take the leaves, cut most of the stems off & blanch them in salted water, 2-3 minutes & serve them with butter. He says he likes them more than spinach. I take the stems, cut in 2” lengths & sauté them in butter.  Tasty crunches.  The beets, I either slice thin boil till semi soft and add a touch of butter or Julian them & sauté. We had a lot of beets.  I left about a dozen in the garden to get seeds.  We ate greens for 3 years, before they bolted.  The beet bulbs got huge and woody, however, the chickens loved them.  :happy0203:

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...