MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANewMe

Looking for a Church is HARD

Finding a Church just shouldn't be so hard!!! Since we have moved I have visited a few sporadically and just can not find my place! It's almost like I have ADHD where this issue is concerned. I can't make up my mind where to go or what to try.

I thought I found one because my son went with friends and really liked the youth program so I tried it out on a Sunday. Had a few concerns about the way they did things but I try to be open minded and the sermon was amazing. Even my 9 yr old got a lot out of the sermon. Then we came back the next Sunday and they scared the BEESWAX out of us. I've never seen stuff like that go on in my life and I haven't been back. I grew up Southern Baptist/Methodist but I'm open to a little charismatic leanings. I think everyone should do their thing but what was going on there was a little much for me and my husband would have knocked the walls down trying to get out of there had he been there.

The other Church's that we went to didn't have a lot of youth activities....so after having a really bad night and waking up late I decided I was going SOMEWHERE for the afternoon service.....I have found ONE Church that offers afternoon service.

How do people DO this??? The kids and husband don't like trying Churches.... I don't think I'm ever going to find our "Home"

One thing....and I'm seriously not being trite: Ask God.

Sometimes [ask me how I know] He sends us to a church for what we can give, not what we can get. Or...some other REASON that He alone comprehends. Sometimes it's not cozy/comfortable during a time like this. Sometimes we never get to see WHY He needed us there.....or know if it was for us or them. :scratchhead:

HOWEVER....I think it would be rare for God to send anyone to a church that was unscriptural, or otherwise unacceptable biblically. Especially if you have children. So we do need to be very sensitive to His leading in this VERY important matter of finding a church home. :wub:

MtRider :pray: that He will send you to the new home for you and your family!

Edited by Mt_Rider
typo

And the reality of the situation is that if you have your kids out of church for too long, they may never be interested in returning.

Edited by Ambergris

We've been through the same thing here, only it was more Hubba that couldn't settle down. This may not apply to you, but after awhile, I realized that Hubba was comparing all of the churches to the one we left in Wyoming. It is very hard, though, even if you're not looking for one like the last one :)

I agree with Mt_Rider, "ask God". Numerous times throughout the Bible, the people asked God. And, most disturbing, there are numerous stories, when they did not ask God, their plans failed miserably.

When I went looking for a church, it felt like going to a department store and trying on clothes. Most did not 'fit', some fit but looked/felt horrible, and some just did not work. At the time I was searching, I think I went to 100 churches (big city). One church, I walked through the doors, took a few steps and turned around and rushed out. I was overwhelmed by something that made my head dizzy, the hair on my arms stood on end and it seemed like a darkness filled the auditorium. (I still shudder just thinking about it.) One church encourages its members not to read the Word because the leaders will do that for them and tell them what they need to know. :shakinghead:

My pondering on that experience, left me wondering how can these people be like that? Don't they read the Word? I am still amazed and confused at some of the things I see and hear when I go to church. Puts the phrases in the Word, 'the blind leading the blind' or 'many will be deceived' in perspective.

IMHO, I think we are allowed to see the variety, to help us understand that not all churches, even within the same denomination, teach the truth.

:pray: God will provide for you and lead you to a place, that not only satisfies your children's desires but also yours and your DH's.

To me, the most important thing is are they teaching what the Bible says. If not, it doesn't matter to me how nice the people are, how much "fun" the kids have, etc. We belong to a particular denomination and naturally look for a church within that denomination. Then, after that I would check out the people, the pastor, etc.

I agree..... the church should teach and live by the Bible..after all that is what it is supposed to be about.

Yes it is hard to find a church and may God will guide us to the right one for there are many false Christs

I have it narrowed down to 3. There are many non-denominational Church's around here and I'm ok with that. I'm ok with more up beat and charismatic service too but after that last Church I'm terrified of trying anything else without a denominational name behind it. I don't really give a hoot about denomination because I believe in being a Christian first then finding where you fit in as far as worship style to find the fellowship and guidance.

Perhaps it's just because I did not know or understand what they were doing or the practice. If somebody starts screaming and falling out why would they cover her in a sheet and tote her out? I mean I'm not trying to start anything and I certainly don't mean it disrespectful to anyone who may go to a church where they practice this...I'm just curious and want to know what I saw and experienced.

:blink:

"slain in the spirit" has always been beyond what I find .....edifying. But that might have been what it allegedly was.

You might also try to look up their websites and read them carefully. Many will post their mission statement and beliefs there.

MtRider :pray:

Well...I did a sound it all sounded good....nothing that would have tipped me off. There was speaking in tounges and although I wasn't raised with that I feel that's between them and God so no big red flag there. I mean it wasn't "crazy". Then toward the invitation a lady goes up with her son and falls in the floor screaming. Dumb me thought something had happened to her at first like a broke bone but she kept screaming about her son. People surrounded her and she started screaming "Jesus". Then a lady stepped out with what looked like a tablecloth....at this point I figured we might should leave. My 9 yr old was petrified. They covered her and toted her out. About that time the preacher was grabbing peoples heads....not laying hands on them...grabbing their heads and rocking them and knocking them to the ground while people waited with the cloths but no one else was covered and toted out.

I'm total open minded and think all should worship how they choose. I just don't have a clue what was going on there.

I later found out that their "home" church Pastor had been accused of all kinds of bad money deals. Using the Church to finance his mansion. Then a one of my friends told me that at one time they were practicing "resurrection"??? The Pastor was preaching that it was a gift and could happen then a couple brought their dead infant. Being new to the community I didn't know all of this.....

So that may explain a little why I'm a bit afraid of looking again

Gosh ANewMe, I would have been terrified, no wonder you are apprehensive about visiting other churches!

I'm reluctantly searching for a new church. I joined the Society of Friends (Quakers) as a young woman, but now thirty years on they have moved so far away from their Christian roots that I don't think I can stay ( there are now people who are atheist and pagan Quakers and Although I am a pretty open minded person, when we have got to the stage where we are embarrassed to mention Jesus, then I have to go....)

So yes, I am struggling, I went to one church that was very charismatic, a couple that were just very Church of England and not a good fit for me...and one I am considering re- visiting, it was a solid Bible teaching church, and the sermon was excellent, it was just that not one person said " hello" to me. I guess I should try it again though, it is hard to find a church in the UK, our church attendance is very low, and getting lower all the time......

As I read through the posts here my heart was touched because so many yearn for a relationship with our Lord and with other believers. The Bible says we need to encourage one another and even more so as the end draws near. I am finding that I really need encouragement during the times we live in. With other believers, whether they grasp the magnitude of what we face or not, they believe in Christ and desire to know Him better and walk the walk. They look forward to when Christ returns and have their hearts in the right place.

I agree with those here saying to pray hard about this, but I will also say that sometimes God allows us to travel in a wilderness of sorts just looking a long time for a Biblically solid church. That happened with me. We visited many, many churches for 12 years before finally walking in the door of one that truly feels like home. The teaching is Biblical and many of the people express genuine love and care for one another. I don't know why God allowed us to be without this for as long as we were, but we drew close to God as best we could during those years and we also did still get together with Christians we knew who attended other churches. We tried to stay connected with those strong in the faith, but it is only in a church that we can use any gift God has given us and strengthen the body and allow it to strengthen us.

I think we know that the days are growing darker and it is really important we discern whether any church we visit is Biblically grounded or not. Sadly, "church" has become a money-making business in some quarters and we have to be discerning. What some have described here with people falling on the floor and screaming sounds similar to Brian McLaren's stuff. You can google him and learn more. I believe it is Satanic in origin.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.