MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stuck in a small town place, in the middle of a huge wilderness. Knitting projects and help.

Started the second knee high sock two days ago and have done well. The knitting feels smoother. It looks pretty good, but I really need to practice a couple of other cast ons because socks require a flexible but strong cast on. It is going slightly more automatic which means faster when it comes to knitting speed. I think I can get the second sock done soon.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, some chores done and of all things, lunch is still just starting to be prepared.... so I am going to work on the lower leg of my second sock. I matched the color way with the next skein pretty well. Will probably do a sewing kit with the bits left over soon. I need one for my bug out kit. The colors are bright enough for me to remember what it is without a label! I have a zillion buttons to choose from too. Smaller dpn should work just fine for a close tight knit for it.

Ok, at the point where I can do the heel. Pray the lights stay on this evening. One candle of light is not enough for these old tired eyes.

I also am happy. I found a free adult hat pattern that is not very intricate but will teach me the owl cable work. Once I learn to do the owl , I can use that little skill of design to make my own owlie patterns that are one of the crazes this year and really darling anytime and will eventually end up classic or vintage. Owls being a fundamental symbolism in so many cultures, and they are just cute to see. It only involves pretty basic cable work and a little patience to learn to do. Quickly done as it not an extensive or long pattern, in general. They are easy to implement in any knit item and you do the eyes with beads. Even without, they are nice enough.

Ok, heel and turn of heel is done, set up for gussets ( where you pick up stitches on selvage edge) complete. I need to go finish cooking supper and then I can do the gusset. I did neater job this time. Progress!

Was able to get to the toe last night, will finish today and then I can do a pair or two with some jungle like blues and greens with a touch of darker colors in the self striping that is actually cotton stretchy ( wool free by Premiere ) sock yarn, which if very fine , lighter, and a bit squirrelly. Some people complain, but it is a different texture but still knits up soft. It will require smaller dpn needles.... it is supposed to be a good sock yarn for those sensitive to wool or can't get over the idea of wool socks in Texas . )

I spent time studying my color work book and drooling over traditional style mittens in other countries last night...... I do have a few pdf or copy and paste patterns I was able to search for. When you have winter about five months of the year or better, as it really lingers here........mittens are a wonderful thing to have available and the drug store and gas station mitts really suck for how bitter cold it can get. My favorites are Latvian, Estonian and Norwegian styles, and American .

Oh, and Latvian socks, lol. Actually they are elegant and gorgeous AND cozy. There is one pattern that is very special and ancient traditional that is a blessing , symbolically for women, for socks and it really is not difficult if you can do light color work ( two or three different colors of yarn in patterns) and make I cord cuffs Lovely bed socks or for casual time with friends in the evenings at home. I would love to get the yarn for them eventually and make them, but right now, working on those basic skills as I go along, maybe one per pair of socks , until I have enough particular little skills that add up and everything is done well. Cause those are the kinds of socks you would want to show off! They would make a lovely gift as well.

I am learning bit by bit, and I want to be sure and finish anything I start, and not overwhelm myself and it is art , functional , and I like art. It counters all the evil out there, and is infinitely useful as well. Part of my own journey to heal as a human being, I would say.

Arby.....that is so cool! I am truly impressed and quite envious! Frankly, I'm afraid to try because I get so easily confused now, and that is frustrating to me. I know you understand cuz you have periods of less comprehension too. I'm so glad you've been able to keep plugging away and have ACHIEVED a very neat looking pair of sox. I'd be SO :bounce: jumping around with excitement if I were you!

:hapydancsmil::cele::hug3::woohoo:

MtRider Congrats!!!!

Well I goofed some on the position of the stitches on the needles at the toe on the first one and the cuff on the second is a bit squirrel-ly but over all I learned the basic construction and I can say I did the heel part very well , especially on the second sock and the toe fits really well on that one. It was hard and I had some years of very confused thinking. So a lot of this gathered knitting tack and yarn just sat there. But luckily I figured out what was wrong and could remedy it and its like a brand new world to me in a lot of ways, so I have set my course. Socks are needed anyway, lol. I will persist. The folks in the knitting groups have helped me figure out a lot of the little things and I am beginning to catch stuff easier now and over all much smoother by the inch of knitting , so it's a journey in faith I think, to dare to knit if you never did it before and persistence.

They will hold up and I just have to practice and as long as it lines up right , it would block really nicely after this pair. These will just be my house socks I think this winter. Maybe things will be going smooth enough after a few more pair that I can do it just right enough to actually feel like I can gift them or even sell if I needed to. I am pretty sure that will work out. I see such amazing things done by the experienced knitters and some folks start out and they do such lovely work. Some of their work would go for several hundred dollars in any good department store or nice shop, easily. Or they could do movie costuming.

I admit it, I am more tomboy than anything else but I had a fairly sophisticated upbringing which I survived, and cultural exposure and actually have a natural eye for what looks good on people and for various occasions, not that any one looking at me would even begin to realize that , but I would love to design some things eventually. But first things first. One step at a time. So, yes, very glad to get this done at least. It is a triumph in it's own way.

ok , found something, with the right circular needles and a little youtube help or one of my books that has toe up circular knitting skills to show me how...... I can do this pattern .

Pattern at very bottom, pdf form to download if you like, of post here.

It is free on ravelry.com right now and the pdf has clearly written instructions it is ok to disperse ( for free personal use, or as a gift item to someone . per copyright laws according to wishes of designer on this pattern.) Probably not for selling to make profits though. They have to declare that , like the biohazard socks pdf did, or web page on ravelry instructed. It varies with each individual pattern someone chooses to share, so one has to consider it individually. Normally they are for personal use as a regular point to be made. I cannot sell the pattern either even if I downloaded it for use.

this is just a sample pattern but typical of sock construction.

Once you learn the basics, you can design your own anyway. Some patterns are not always complete and this was in its testing stages when it was originally posted for ravelry.com usage, but it will give you an idea. Hint, Partridge Pattern is a very easy heel pattern btw. It is quite pretty though, and still sturdy.

Credit to :

¡
L
o
s
M
o
n
o
s
L
o
c
o
s
S
o
c
k
s
!
T
h
e
C
r
a
z
y
M
o
n
k
e
y
s
!
f
r
o
m
J
e
n
n
i
f
e
r
O
S
u
l
l
i
v
a
n
(
h
t
t
p
:
/
/
a
k
a
i
je
n
t
y
p
e
p
a
d
c
o
m
)
¡
L
o
s
M
o
no
s
L
o
c
o
s
!
T
he
C
r
a
z
y
M
o
n
k
e
y
s
!
(
v
B
E
T
A
M
a
y
)
A
t
o
e
-
u
p
s
o
c
k
p
a
t
t
e
r
n
a
d
a
p
t
e
d
f
r
o
m
C
o
o
k
i
e
A
s
M
o
n
k
e
y
S
o
c
k
s
(
K
n
i
t
t
y
c
o
m
W
i
n
t
e
r
)
b
y
J
e
n
n
i
f
e
r
O
S
u
l
l
i
v
a
n
(
h
t
t
p
:
/
/
a
k
a
i
j
e
n
t
y
p
e
p
a
d
c
o
m
)

They call them monkey socks . PDF gives a typical example of a pattern for sock knitting using circular needles but I would think one can adapt dpn's too if they can think it out. It also provides nice pictures of the lace pattern and affect of self patterning yarn color way used.

Once you learn the vocabulary and what the stitches are , it is not hard to get to this point. It just takes practice and some mindfulness as you do the stitches. A few little gadgets like stitch markers and some quiet time and good lighting.

¡
L
o
s
M
o
n
o
s
L
o
c
o
s
S
o
c
k
s
!
T
h
e
C
r
a
z
y
M
o
n
k
e
y
s
!
f
r
o
m
J
e
n
n
i
f
e
r
O
S
u
l
l
i
v
a
n
(
h
t
t
p
:
/
/
a
k
a
i
je
n
t
y
p
e
p
a
d
c
o
m
)
¡
L
o
s
M
o
no
s
L
o
c
o
s
!
T
he
C
r
a
z
y
M
o
n
k
e
y
s
!
(
v
B
E
T
A
M
a
y
)
A
t
o
e
-
u
p
s
o
c
k
p
a
t
t
e
r
n
a
d
a
p
t
e
d
f
r
o
m
C
o
o
k
i
e
A
s
M
o
n
k
e
y
S
o
c
k
s
(
K
n
i
t
t
y
c
o
m
W
i
n
t
e
r
)
b
y
J
e
n
n
i
f
e
r
O
S
u
l
l
i
v
a
n
(
h
t
t
p
:
/
/
a
k
a
i
j
e
n
t
y
p
e
p
a
d
c
o
m
)

MonosLocosBETA-v01.pdf

Edited by sassenach

ok, here are some of my prepper library books , regarding basic knitting skills and projects that produce practical items to wear. I have collected them over a few years time , say once a month sometimes, I would order a book. It did add up. They are all well written and pretty easy to understand. ( Well, repeat reading of one section may be required til the lightbulb goes off... and yes, it helps to have a settled mind. ) It challenges every LD thing I have, as a matter of fact, along with simple math we tend to get rusty with...

I do have some inexpensive and free kindle books and downloaded a bunch of free patterns in pdf form and quite frankly , I do copy and paste from blogs... I really need to see if my printer will work with this laptop so I can print that stuff out before the grid goes down.... but I have enough here in case it does.

post-63323-0-41517000-1414512222_thumb.jpg