MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

to every thing there is a season

Ambergris

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak...

There's a lot to be said for the old pattern of starting the new year at this point in the wheel of seasons. I'm not talking about Autumn, Winter, etc. In the old days, a season could be two weeks or half a year. A season is a time when it is best to do (something), with (something) being whatever is in season right now.

Everything changes right at this point in the year. Some boxes and books are closing, while others are opening. Shorter stories sell better in the hot months of the year, while longer novels start selling best around now. Whipping up something quick to eat is no more fun on a long cold evening than spending hours over a stove is in the muggy misery of July. I want to become more seasonally oriented, learning something new each season and finishing a project based on that new knowledge (or skill) by the end of each season. I finished a project, my first knitting, yesterday.

And then there's the concept of seasons in one's life. Can you tell I'm going through The Change? Everything is different, and there's nothing to rush into or rush through any more. And while most things allow a beginning level of skill to be earned in a few months or less, learning enough to savor a skill plainly takes longer. Who enjoys the product of two months of piano lessons? So I will start a new knitting project Monday. I want to spend a year developing this skill, and then decide whether to branch out or set it aside. Also, I have spent the last few weeks gathering tools to learn to draw. I plan to spend from today through a year from today working a few minutes a day on this skill, and assess my progress at the end of that time. These are both things I have wanted to know how to do since I was a child, but there was never time. Well, there was time, but there were so many needs competing for the right to occupy every minute. Most of those have been set aside, or have fallen away, or have outgrown me. And it's good.

In some seasons, blooms unfurl or fruit bursts forth. And in some season, roots reach deeper. It's all good.

Edited by Ambergris

I'm wanting to do some kind of long term project myself. I feel like I've been speeding through everything in my life...I would just like to slow things down. I got a knitting board off a Freecycle board two years ago and I still haven't tried to use it. Wouldn't it be fun to start a 'project" board in one of the forums where we could post what we're doing and our progress? I think its time for me to pull out my knitting board and find out how to use it.....

Thank you Ambergris, I really needed that.

One of my seasons, at this given moment, is walking through an illness. I recently have finished 2 art projects that were long overdue, and started working on finishing a quilt (hand sewn) that I started 10 year ago. I am tired of looking at the bins the pieces are in and letting it bother me because I have not been diligent enough to finish it, and then, wondering if I have enough time left to finish it.

Ecclesiastics is an inspiring book. The wisdom is unmeasurable, if only I could remember the words day by day, instead of only when I read them. '...for there will be a time for every activity, a time for every deed....' (NIV)

Dogmom4, maybe we could start something down in the Homemade Memories section?

Working on knitting and a little more socializing locally, with purpose however. Hope to make walking more regular during each week til about January if the snow does not get to be too much when it storms before that. The deep snow and cold come after mid-- January.....

Like Ambergris, I wanted to learn knitting and so I have started , actually back when the weather first started to change but takes months to get truly familiar and to practice all the stitch work something can take. I certainly have enough of that to keep me busy all winter time until it warms up again....

Walking is for my physical well being. I also am on a journey regarding learning the fine tuning it takes to control my blood sugar, and also losing weight , this whole summer and fall. Good progress about that, mostly. I will continue.