MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sassenach

Weather Reports For Winter 2014-2015

Just thought I would start a thread where we could give our own regional weather reports, to neaten things up in the Shout Box.

I have plenty of snow on radar approaching as night comes on........ wondering if it will stick!

We've been in the band of horrible subzero but merely about 2" of snow in the past 3 days. MINUS 22 was the low last nite. :frozen: But sunshine this morning popped us up to a whopping 45 degrees ...briefly. I went outside and noted the 45 mark. Ten minutes later I came in and ...due to cloud cover moving in....it was now 30 degrees. Sheeesh! But I doubt we'll get as cold as last nite. Skies were clear last nite and we're so high we're "nearly" in outer space. Brrrrr.....

Glad we didn't get mountains of snow....tho higher elevations than me got some. Ski resorts are open. They like feet of snow....let 'em have it!

I believe our schools got a 2 hour delay in start time due to frigid temps......or at least that's what the gal said to me, thinking she'd called a school bus driver....at 5:30 this morning. Sheesh!

MtRider ....stay safe y'all east of me....descending upon you now! :wave:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Had a winter storm go through the other day over all of N.Ontario, Canada. Buses were cancelled and we received about 6" of wet snow, but there was also predictions of freezing rain, rain, ice pellets, blowing snow. We got the blowing snow and ice pellets. Today was sun/cloud with a brisk wind making it colder than it was--about 30F. Tonight going down to about 20F.

Lovely weather of 75 on Tuesday and has not been above 40 since.

Not sure about tonight as it is 25 now and not dropping very fast.

Might be some moisture on the way...... I have not looked at the

moon tonight but there was a big circle around it last night so rain/snow

was not imminent then..

original early forecast was that we would have an extra cold bad winter.

Then one day they said on the radio that it was going to be mild...propane

was down in price and even though electric bills were going sky high, there

would be little need with the heaters so the price hike would not be noticed.

Now they are back to saying extreme cold.

Cold, high today of about 30, breezy though and even saw a few flurries flying through the air this afternoon while we were out doing some necessary shopping.

:cele: Last night our low was 20 ABOVE ZERO. :knary: A TROPICAL HEATWAVE after going to MINUS 20 the night before.

:sigh: My poor ducks. This drastic shift in temperatures can knock them right out of laying..... :(

Doesn't do us humans much good either!

Today we're breezing....very breezing cuz the NEXT storm system is moving in. Tomorrow will be snow/cold again for the weekend. Haven't heard the particulars yet.

All of you who are in it now...or nearly.....be extra careful of this one. Nasty business! :frozen::twister3:

MtRider ....a day in between to REST and RECOVER :wave:

Windchill this evening is 24F, and we had flurries all day off and on. We get 3 to 6 inches of the white stuff according to predictions when the next storm comes through here in the Northeast. I am definitely in the snow zone this time. I will finish my scarf as I received the other yarn I needed for that and am going to get some wristlets done as quick as I can. Also working on the anklets which are ok for house socks.

A week ago the extended forecasts had no idea that Monday storm would bring more than an inch.... it is paying out good to pay attention to such things.

Edited by sassenach

Wasted most of this nice day [chilly wind tho] taking a 2 hr nap.... That last stretch wore me out! I did let the goats out to scavenge whatever is left in the pastures. Yeah, Sass....I'm also keeping a wary eye on how much snow we might get in this weekend business. They keep inching up the number of predicted inches.... <_<

Least DH and I don't have to be anywhere...tho it would be nice if we could see my folks. We've missed a few visiting days due to this, that, and the other thing! :tapfoot:

MtRider :wave:

Edited by Mt_Rider

they are now saying we will get an inch........

one time they said we would get a flurry

with maybe 1/4 inch accumulation.............14 inches was on the ground the next morning......

Sounds like our forecasts, Twilight. But, I'm close to Lake Erie so we get lake effect snow often which is very unpredictable. Fortunately I'm not on the east side of the lake. They can really get hammered. We can get it too but not quite as often.

Winter came early for us this year. Most years we wonder if there will be any snow at Thanksgiving. Sometimes we get flurries. We have already had enough to cover the ground.

This is unusual weather for here.The last time I remember snow in November

was on the 15th in 1962.

Not saying it hasn't snowed early since then, ,for we had 0 temps in late October

maybe 8-10 years ago. Froze the sap in the trees , did a lot of damage. But it warmed up and

no more cold weather.

Not that any type of weather is the norm here, and here where I live we have a tiny micro-climate.

Where there are highways there will be "weather" I live in a triangle one Highway runs NNW,one NNE

with joining of the NNW one and then the EW one ties into the other two. So we have our own little

weather that no one else has. It may rain here and nowhere else or everybody but us gets snow,etc.

They are calling Novembrrrrrrr, now........ as it is it snowed at least half an inch here in the low areas and about five inches in the high peaks area last night to my west...... and today its been rainy and seems like it is freezing into snow again, slowly as temps must be dropping slightly enough........

I found this....... Happened in September and was not noticed til late October..... officials know....

http://www.westernjournalism.com/hackers-china-struck-federal-weather-network/?utm_source=adblade&utm_medium=insideWJreferral&utm_campaign=right-rail

I am wondering if that is why so many weather stations around me are totally offline still???

Article for link posted above:

The outage of weather satellites last year was not caused by technical glitches, but rather by an “Internet-sourced attack,” according to Scott Smullen, a spokesman for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

The Washington Post says that the hackers were from China:

Advertisement-content continues below

“The intrusion occurred in late September but officials gave no indication that they had a problem until Oct. 20, according to three people familiar with the hack and the subsequent reaction by the NOAA, which includes the National Weather Service.”

Representative Frank Wolf (R-VA) told the Post: “NOAA told me it was a hack and it was China.” He believes the agency was “deliberately misleading the American public in its replies.”

He went on to say: “They had an obligation to tell the truth. They covered it up.”

Now Commerce Department Inspector General Todd Zinser is looking into the matter, specifically demanding why law enforcement was not informed of the incident.

The outage of the satellites could have been fatal had it occurred during a high-impact weather event. Furthermore, the breaching of a satellite at the federal level implies vulnerability at that level.

Advertisement-content continues below

The planned purchase of a supercomputer by the NOAA has been delayed for more than a year because IBM, the firm that was selling the supercomputer, sold its supercomputer to Lenovo, a Chinese firm.

Now the Treasury is reviewing the sale of the IBM unit for any national security implications.

What do you think? Could Chinese hackers next hack even more sensitive parts of the federal government?

h/t: Mashable

Photo credit: shutterstock.com

Read more at http://www.westernjournalism.com/hackers-china-struck-federal-weather-network/#RASr7qeGK3ZlwJLd.99
Edited by sassenach

We've gotten the second wave which merely had another inch of light snow and SUBZERO temps at night. MINUS 12 last nite.

That kicks off the furnace all night which gives me sinus [dust allergy] trouble...worse all the time. I even have a frame above the furnace vent and lay a cloth on it. That deflects most of the heat sideways, not upwards. Still affecting me a lot. :yar: Ah CHOOO!

MtRider .....warmer, please? Not quite breaking 32 today.

Edited by Mt_Rider

i think, I hope, the wind has layed...... 19 now clear skies which means

single digits in the am....we got 3 inches of snow on Sunday.

Roads are mainly clear.

We got "dusted" yesterday but it's very cold for November :-) We don't normally see any of this kind of weather until after Thanksgiving :-(

Wychwood, its much colder here in the US and Canada than it usually is quite yet, by few to several weeks....due to polar vortexes , do you get them over the UK?

Right now in cleveland its 27*predicted high of 33*, tonights low of 19. Got a couple of flurries flying around...but sunda expected to be 68* tennessee and its tempermental weather

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.