MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm sorry, I have 4 kids...

I have a feeling this is the beginning of stories like this and it is going to be increasingly sadder and sadder to watch it happen:

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/woman-robs-workers-at-payless/30029296

ORLANDO, Fla. -

At first, workers at the Payless Shoe Source on Pine Hills Road in Orlando thought the woman who was holding them at gunpoint was going to shoot.

But a worker who was at the store Saturday night at the time of the robbery told Local 6 over the phone that by the end of the robbery the woman seemed less threatening and even apologized.

Orange County sheriff's deputies said the woman told the workers, "I'm sorry, I have four kids," and then ordered the worker to let her out the back door.

Workers said they had seen the woman browsing the aisles looking at women's shoes earlier but did not attend to her because they were helping other customers.

One worker told Local 6 the woman then hid in a bathroom until the store closed and the workers locked the doors. That's when she ordered the workers to fill a bag with cash at gunpoint.

Deputies said the woman was wearing gloves and a bandana that partially covered her face.

Too many aide programs to give her any "so sorry" from this neck of the woods. She's a criminal...now what will happen to the "four kids"? They'll end up in foster care or ??? Armed robbery is a serious offense and I don't think too many judges/juries will find much leniency to extend. If it's that bad, head for DFS and tell them you can't care for your kids "legally".

I have 10 kids (3-17yrs so all still at home full time) so I hear her on the costs of things.. But THAT's not gonna help. A lot of the problem is that people simply don't have the knowledge and skills to "do without" anymore. Sad.

People also don't also have the family support systems that used to be in place. Used to be you would stay with a relative until you could get back on your feet. People don't do that anymore. I'm very happy I haven't felt so desperate to feed my kids that I would even consider doing something like that.

She is rather striking in appearance.....wonder why they have not found her?

Yes there are places she could have gone for help , wonder why more people

do not understand the principal of do without, do it yourself, don't sleep around,

don't get into more than you can handle. Food , shelter, clothes........

I think I will say no more or I will say far to much and it might be called preaching.

Agreed Twilight, most women "know" what causes pregnancy :-) It's a personal choice of how many children a woman decides to bear (unless it's extremely unusual and violent circumstances). It's my personal opinion (and mine alone) that I made my decision to have only two because I knew that if I were alone, that's the maximum I would be able to take care of by myself...and they didn't have WIC, Aide to Dependent Children, Food Stamps etc. when I was having my family. The government has made it (unfortunately) very easy to be a single mother...again, IMHOP

As my comment before indicates, I do not in any way think this mom chose wisely....nor did she likely exhaust all the other options. But y'know....life can change up on a person very quickly. I haven't read anything about this particular woman's life...so I don't know. I know that one can be living just fine....taking care of one's own family....and then *Poof*. Your entire universe changes. If you just can't find the resources to adapt, it's very easy to sink. Support of family and friends, like Dogmom mentioned, can make or break anyone caught in a shifting circumstance that many times has nothing to do with a decision we've made.

I'll never forget getting DD1 out of the hospital after a month of ICU [to save her life...and fortunately, her leg] and several surgeries...orthopedic floor. She was struck down by a hit and run [drunk? driver]. Our whole family and DD2's fiance's family .....and another couple who were friend's of DD2's fiance.....all of us pitched in to help her. I flew immediately. Her sister and fiance were already there. DD2 and I stayed for a month at her fiance's Grma's house. We drove the friend's car back and forth to hospital from Grma's house. My folks paid for my ticket. .......are you seeing HOW MANY PEOPLE it took to support one young single woman's misfortune? None of us had enough to completely do the job with our own resources. But everyone gave a little.

What I will NEVER forget is driving away from the hospital on the day DD1 was finally discharged....vehicle filled with medical devices that would continue to be needed as she recovered for the next months. DD1 recognized the man who had been on the orthopedic floor with her. He was a homeless man and had been discharged too. There he was as we pulled away....lying on the stone wall surrounding the hospital. His wheelchair nearby.

DD1 burst into tears. She explained simply...."If I didn't have a family, that's where I'd be. How could I survive with these injuries without you guys!!!" [ .....from age 9 to 13, she DIDN'T have a family except her sister, btw. ]

So......I repeat, I don't know this woman's story. I just know for whatever reason she thot this was a good idea, it was not. And now that choice has made her life...her kid's lives much worse. And it is sad.

MtRider :(

I have to agree with you Mt Rider...actually, that's the reason I posted the story to begin with. It made my heart hurt for her, that she felt this was the only thing she could do to meet whatever needs her children have. What she did was wrong, and I'm sure the consequences will be far reaching but a part of me believes that there will be many, many people in the days/months/years to come that will find themselves making bad decisions that they would have never dreamed of making in the past. Desperation, fear, hopelessness coupled with the responsibility of children, etc. will influence many to do regrettable things.

I don't condone it at all...I wish she would have turned to the One who can meet all her needs but that's what happens when we take things into our own hands.

My town doesn't have a homeless shelter. It's big enough to need one. I know of one man living out of his car. People have posted photo of his car making fun of him on Facebook. When I see his car early on bitterly cold morning as I go to work my heart feels for him. I haven't seen his car for a few months. I pray he found housing.
A interfaith mission here in town use churches to house homeless familys overnight. Each church provides the familys a evening meal and breakfast for the week they are hosting.
The week of Thanksgiving my church hosted. One of the hosting couples had to drop out because of a death in their family and as I was on vacation that week Dh and I took their spot.

Image my shock when one of the familys was former neighbors of our. She has a chronic illness, he is working but obviously something went so wrong for them. I didn't pry. Dh and I tried hard not to make it awkward for them.
All I could think of is that could easily have been my family.

3 of our parents are gone. FIL is in his mid 80's and not in the best of health. Our siblings would not be able to help us although we do have strong church support behind us they are helping a lot of people in the community already.
God used this to make me more thankful. I too would be lost without him and the support of my church family.

I am sorry to have sounded critical..... yes Darlene if more people knew the Savior

this would not need have happened. But regardless she did wrong -how many wrongs

we do not know. Compassion is fast going down the drain.

Regardless how much money you make....there are always those who make more.

No matter how little there will always be those that have nothing.

People can be on the street fast for many reasons.

My younger step son.....would do anything he was not too proud to dig ditches

when out of a job. On the other hand his BIL would NOT work unless he got high $ per hour

no exceptions.

There are jobs out there that a lot of people will not take as beneath their expectations....

No we do not know what is around the corner waiting to befall us....but God does.

What she did was wrong, and she knew that, hence her "I'm sorry," but who knows the depths of her despair. I find it very sad that she felt robbing was her only way to get help. I really don't like to discuss religion because I will invariably make people mad and for that I am sorry, but I know people who claim the blessings of God and Jesus as their savior all day long and they spend thousands of dollars on vacations (beach multiple times a year, Disney every year, and many more places, while living in their $350k house), putting in new patios with fire pits, etc and it is their right to do whatever it is they want to do with their money, but I've really been questioning lifestyle and love for humanity and our fellow man. They tithe and buy a goat for a family in Africa and they claim they have done their duty. There are a whole lot of people hurting in their very community, which they walk past on their way to church and then send help abroad, while their neighbors, people in their own community, can't get help in the system or don't know where to turn to. The baby mega church down the street from my house didn't have a food bank for the community (it might now, we don’t attend there anymore) while the big community food bank in this area was running out of food left and right because the demand was so high, yet this church had stadium seating, a professional-quality band, they had lighting and smoke machines, this and that, they bought the pastor a new Harley, I could go on... but they had nothing set up for families struggling to put food on the table. I say all that to say that I'm really struggling with what I see out there in the world right now. I said more than I probably should have and if I have offended, for that I apologize, I don't want to offend, just to say that the world isn't always good to those who struggle, those who struggle are often blamed. Who knows, maybe she totally screwed up her life by bad decision after bad decision, but what if she was married and her husband died, what if she was a SAHM and her husband was laid off, maybe she is a single mother, it is easy to assume she hasn't shown responsibility in her life but we really do not know (yet). My SIL, from another country, made the statement that NO ONE in America can have tough times, that she knows poverty (her native country isn't as wealthy as America) and that in America there is no excuse. I disagree with her, sometimes things happen that aren't our fault. Layoffs, death, illness, I became ill in 2012 and we are still paying off the thousands of dollars of debt from that. People look at me and I look fine so they assume everything is fine, but I can’t afford the supplements and more alternative/natural medical care that I want to have because we are living paycheck to paycheck due to the medical debt we incurred. This isn't to excuse that woman for what she did, she may be a total deadbeat, but the fact that she apologized and did it for her kids makes me question that. If she is caught she will suffer the consequences and likely have her kids taken away from her, which is sad too. No winner here. Makes me sad, maybe this desperation might have been prevented.

There's also a tendency to not want help from people... to not let anyone know that you need help. To not offer help because we don't want to offend. Everyone by themselves and for themselves. Not much community.

And a tendency for some people to "report" people for having a problem rather than helping them. Don't have enough food in the house? If you ask the wrong person for help instead of dropping off a bag of groceries or offering a lift to the food pantry, you may have CPS called on you so they can take away your kids because you can't provide for them.

And of course these feed into each other.

What she did was wrong, and she knew that, hence her "I'm sorry," but who knows the depths of her despair. I find it very sad that she felt robbing was her only way to get help. I really don't like to discuss religion because I will invariably make people mad and for that I am sorry, but I know people who claim the blessings of God and Jesus as their savior all day long and they spend thousands of dollars on vacations (beach multiple times a year, Disney every year, and many more places, while living in their $350k house), putting in new patios with fire pits, etc and it is their right to do whatever it is they want to do with their money, but I've really been questioning lifestyle and love for humanity and our fellow man. They tithe and buy a goat for a family in Africa and they claim they have done their duty. There are a whole lot of people hurting in their very community, which they walk past on their way to church and then send help abroad, while their neighbors, people in their own community, can't get help in the system or don't know where to turn to. The baby mega church down the street from my house didn't have a food bank for the community (it might now, we don’t attend there anymore) while the big community food bank in this area was running out of food left and right because the demand was so high, yet this church had stadium seating, a professional-quality band, they had lighting and smoke machines, this and that, they bought the pastor a new Harley, I could go on... but they had nothing set up for families struggling to put food on the table. I say all that to say that I'm really struggling with what I see out there in the world right now. I said more than I probably should have and if I have offended, for that I apologize, I don't want to offend, just to say that the world isn't always good to those who struggle, those who struggle are often blamed. Who knows, maybe she totally screwed up her life by bad decision after bad decision, but what if she was married and her husband died, what if she was a SAHM and her husband was laid off, maybe she is a single mother, it is easy to assume she hasn't shown responsibility in her life but we really do not know (yet). My SIL, from another country, made the statement that NO ONE in America can have tough times, that she knows poverty (her native country isn't as wealthy as America) and that in America there is no excuse. I disagree with her, sometimes things happen that aren't our fault. Layoffs, death, illness, I became ill in 2012 and we are still paying off the thousands of dollars of debt from that. People look at me and I look fine so they assume everything is fine, but I can’t afford the supplements and more alternative/natural medical care that I want to have because we are living paycheck to paycheck due to the medical debt we incurred. This isn't to excuse that woman for what she did, she may be a total deadbeat, but the fact that she apologized and did it for her kids makes me question that. If she is caught she will suffer the consequences and likely have her kids taken away from her, which is sad too. No winner here. Makes me sad, maybe this desperation might have been prevented.

You didn't offend anyone in this household :-) I told MrWE2 when we met and married "I've bought my last house, my last car, paid insurance and taxes, and sent my last kid to college...for a preacher". We have friends that attend church nearly at all cost, but are living with "significant others" or drink & swear like crazy, and like you said...take trips to foreign countries to "teach the children" etc., and walk right past a church aisle that may have a young family struggling. We've seen the poorest of the church brow-beaten to believe that if they "give it will be given back to you" ... the tithe of course ... but they never see it come back. I believe one must get their own house in order, keep that house in order ... and obey the command that says "if a man doesn't care for his own house he's worse than an infidel". This subject could go on and on and one...but know this, you didn't offend the WE2's!