MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Our "fur babies" are precious to each of us, and we each have our own relationship with them. Losing them is such a hard thing to do...but to me, it's worth the loving.

MrWE2 crawled under the floor at the Roost to put insulation over the crawl space vents there. He said it really made a difference in the draft he felt flowing under the house! He can remove them during summer to create a draft if he wants to. I worked in the pantry putting away the new stuff we bought & re-arranging some others...just checking things out :-) Then made myself a hot cup of coffee, turned on the radio and relaxed in a chair (didn't use the loveseat...it's in our bedroom up there for the time being) even though the loveseat is well stuffed leather! Might have nodded off and spilt my coffee :-( Gas was $1.29 a gallon so we filled up the truck instead of rotating some that's still in storage. Just to cold to stand outside hoisting up 5 gallons and pouring it into the funnel and into the truck's gas tank. Very thankful that our pastor-friend called this morning and MrWE2 will have some work starting Wednesday! PTL Taxes and insurances have been eating out lunch. MrWE2 has checkup with his primary care Doc, so praying he's lost enough weight to suit him...VERY high triglycerides. Colesterol is good, but not the tri's :-( Said losing 20# would keep him off meds...he's lost about 12 :-( Then we'll do chores at mother's. No sense breaking up two days. We paid the Roost's water bill while we were there so the gas and electric for there I can pay from here when I pay ours here. We'll be back to working at the Roost on Fri, Sat & Sun...but...we're making progress!

WE2 --so you are having a birthday soon . I hope it is a GREAT BIG HAPPY one.

Remember me saying I put vinyl on my from porch ? WE2 you saw it!

Today it is really paying for itself . The sun is shining, it is windy (17-22mph), and

12 degrees. On the porch it is 40!!!

If I had been better prepared with installation and would have had someone to help me...

It would have gone on much nicer . As it is I have some air leaks which makes the vinyl

snap and pop.

I figure it cost me around $125 for the vinyl but I think it has already saved me that much

in heat alone. I have used less wood(main source) than ever before. The house has stayed

more even in temp.

On the really warm days I can open the door to the house and let the porch warmth come in.

Ya got yerself a SUN PARLOR! GREEN HOUSE! Solar gain! :woohoo:

If we owned this place, we'd do that too with our south-facing open [with roof] porch. Have to have a LOT of bracing for the screaming winds tho. One reason we've never done just a temporary job.

So....do you take it down in summer? That's the question I'd have too in this place.

MtRider B)

It actually got up to 85 on the porch and I had the doors open for 2 hours.

The temp never got above 17 today and has already dropped to 11 now at 5 pm.

At least the wind has calmed.

People have thought I was "" for closing the porch in but it is my gain!

I would like it to look nicer though.

I have really worked to keep it on with all the wind we have had. Last year it lasted

6 weeks and the wind ripped it all off.

Yes it will come off by April or earlier but if we have a cold spring it just might stay up

for solar heat which unless it is very cloudy should do very well.

The porch is on the south side 40 ft long and joins the patio which is 14x16 on the east side.

Remember me saying I put vinyl on my from porch ? WE2 you saw it!

Today it is really paying for itself . The sun is shining, it is windy (17-22mph), and

12 degrees. On the porch it is 40!!!

If I had been better prepared with installation and would have had someone to help me...

It would have gone on much nicer . As it is I have some air leaks which makes the vinyl

snap and pop.

I figure it cost me around $125 for the vinyl but I think it has already saved me that much

in heat alone. I have used less wood(main source) than ever before. The house has stayed

more even in temp.

On the really warm days I can open the door to the house and let the porch warmth come in.

Yes, we did see the results of your hard work! Too bad we didn't know beforehand and perhaps MrWE2 could have helped you put it down :-( REALLY glad you're feeling warmer.

Just puttered around here today. MrWE2 went back to work today for pastor-friend (and sooo glad to get the work!) so I paid bills and changed all the passwords on our various accounts. I usually change them every new year.

Went back to work on the Roost this morning, but only for a few hours since it started to mist and the forecast was for it to freeze. Sold the fitness machine while there so that was good! Loaded up a few other items that we have listed for sale (we have a local server that has that perk!) and we've gotten two calls on two different items...that is good! We price stuff to sell...not just to make money. That's part of de-cluttering at the Roost :-) MrWE2 got the wiring pretty much done for the recepticle for one of the window a/c's in the LR there and a switch for the new garbage disposal I'm gonna be blessed with! Menard's had a 15% sale last week or so plus the disposal was already on sale...so we saved about $40 total :-) Finally got the house numbers installed on the Roost :-) Cleaned off the cluttered dash on the truck and put all of MrWE2's receipts in a plastic latching carryall :-) Now we're home safe and warm. We've heard sirens a couple of times, and during this kind of weather it usually means car accidents. Even though it's still above freezing, that doesn't mean there aren't slick spots on the roads/highways. That's one of the reasons we quit early and headed ourselves home! We'll just set out the bad weather and resume work at the Roost when it's safe to drive.

Smart lady! Don't fight the weather if you can get out of it! Stay warm and dry.

35 here but there has been no slow down of traffic so I assume

roads are clear. For here they are moving the bad weather out

to Tuesday instead of single digits in the morning.

People around here really trust the weather..<G> I don't!

Even if air temp is above freezing, roadways, especially bridges can freeze up faster, so it does make for slick conditions. Makes for black ice around here in many places on these valley and mountain roads.

I have been studying in review and also learning a few new ways to do up tarp shelters. For instance, you may have room for a fairly small tarp or even a 10' x 12' tarp and 100' ( ft) of paracord and I have rocks and woods here so I can secure it high and low. Any of this can be in my daypack ---- another issue I need to improve on for an actual bugout pack I set up specifically. Mostly my daily pack is more of a GHB that I use daily, and often it has very little in it that really would be useful, so that also needs going over.

One of the major things is little stuff just floats around in them, or in larger packs that only have a couple large storage compartments, a top one that can be detached and rigged for personal carry, and a few small exterior pouches.

I also reviewed hobo stoves and wood gas stoves. Alcohol stoves can burn oil by the way, but I have plenty of outdoor stuff that will burn all around me. I would rather just carry a hobo stove or wood gasifier stove ( rocket stove) that I make myself. I watched how to use a dremel tool to make a nice one works out, a few times so I can now make a pretty finished looking stove that the edges are also smoothed down neatly.

I do want to get a few extra fire rods so I can make fire kits for each bag, as I realize I only have one and may only have a single lighter in my pocket at the time I might need to vamoose. Or want to.

I also saw a strong 2 serving size beer can stove you could probably burn twigs in , but also could make tiny survivor heater ( cardboard, wax inside a tiny can.) I think the small cat food cans ( fancy feast brand) would work for that.

I watched where a woman used cheap canning jars and shortening and slender holy candles stuck in the shortening ( centered) with half inch of top of candle sticking out and shortening was shaped with a small moat around the candle top, altogether about an inch below top of jar, close with lid and ring, makes a sturdy emergency candle that would last a very long time. You could just make some wicks with cotton yarn stiffened with a bit of melted wax and hardened straight to stick in the shortening. I think it would be faster to melt the shortening and pour it in carefully, let it cool and harden some and stick the wick or candle in by the way. Her method was messier, by using a spoon, jar loader from canning supplies , a scoop at a time. I say streamline it? Wipe off any excess and put on lids /rings when done and box up for emergency or put one in your go bag. It may also be fine for warming up a car if you get stuck somewhere, crack a window of course for air.

Pint size jars are fine.

Birthday candle and half pint would work too if you want smaller jar candles for emergencies.

I also watched how to do metal capped tiny hard liquor bottles up for oil candles. It didn't mess up the top of the plastic container but I am hoping I can find a source for glass ones or maybe just get a case of lotion bottles ordered if they have some with metal caps still or from cooking supplies.... those oil and vinegar bottles with the peaked caps would work too, but they are bigger. Still, they would be more stable than the tiny liquor bottles, but you can burn any oil in them, or lamp oil.

I would not scent the oil because it attracts predators like bears and can attract bucks ( deer) who could be in rut at the time and they tend to attack when in that mode much more commonly than people bother to think about. Mint or citronella would be ok to deter bugs.

100 % cotton yarn , twice the length of the liquor bottle, nail hole through center of cap top, after removing the little plastic seal from it inside it, works for wicking just fine. The man who made them showed a good burn test, it lasts quite some time so I think its a good item to make up. Especially when you actually cannot find decent taper candles for less than 3 to 6 dollars a pair or more........ you can barely find lamp oil in town, although I have five quarts.

In viewing home made small wood stoves for warming up in carefully set up tents, I have just the tin I need for one, I just need to decide on how to make leg supports and a small stove pipe for it. I also think some fiberglass cloth is going to be in next months order. It is lightweight and very useful for shielding tarps or wood structures and doesn't cost an arm and a leg and I saw how to rig it up . There is also heat flashing tape, I want to get a roll.

I have a quart size olive oil tin I think would make a fine small stove and I have a dremel tool and hand tools. Just need a bit of hardware , and I will have to figure out a tin can stove pipe system. Something I can rig from stacking the cans. When I make it I can do a post on it and post pictures. I want it possible to just bag up to attach to my day pack exterior for ease of carrying, fairly compact to reduce bulk. The supports would just be enclosed inside the tin.

Other ones I like are mailbox stoves ( they are laid on their side for the flat surface so you can cook on them) but they are for larger situations than the olive oil can stove ) .

I am well aware of some of the really risky set up's done on you tube bush craft stuff , but also am thinking of ways to overcome that.

The first concept is not only containment and venting, but making sure you are not sloppy about general safety in building something. Often natural materials like stone and dirt if you cannot find clay , with moss on top in case of rain so it doesn't knock down the dirt you piled over the rocks to seal the fireplace, will work much better and be safer than any tarp material too close to suit you would be with just fiberglass around bits .... but one can expand the fiberglass cloth shielding methods too if they bother to construct it better and that is what I think would work for interior wall area around such a thing that produced an open flame and it could go under the little wood stove as a temporary fire shield to soil and organic matter. It would be good for where the stove pipe went too .

The other concept is you only need a tiny fire actually. ( consider space heater elements) They really don't take up much space at all to heat several feet perimeter over time, if not a whole 12 foot square room. Any tent or tipi or wood shelter style I make probably would not be very large in the first place, so I am thinking the olive oil wood stove would be great, add in some fiber glass cloth.... and probably would be good to go and easily portable for me even on foot. You essentially make a plank with sticks folded up like a flat board, with the fiber glass wrapping around the laid out sticks. You could make light twig boards or even use cattail rushes and wrap the mats you make to create wall around a vent pipe or fire place area that is vented outside at ground level. You could also use an emergency blanket the same way I would think. Use the duct heat tape along with it and its pretty secure for a longer camp.

I still would not use cast iron pan bigger than a five inch square pan on a small olive oil stove, I doubt the metal would support the weight of much more than that but I have a cylindrical cook system, that although cheap and made and sent from China , it has good handles and seems well enough constructed for pack use. I can pack a lot of dehydrated food and bisquick in that, too.

As to a real BOB, I want to just order some camo colored waterproof version of a decent sized back pack that has plenty of external webbing and such to secure things onto. Amazon carries reasonably priced ones, so its on my wish list too. This and my lumbar pack I just got would be sufficient for up to a week emergency BOB/L.

One of the reasons I watch the videos is to see how they pack this stuff and what they make with a knife and wood as utensils and how they make do or choose to minimize what they need. And while I would carry the chinese made cook set, I would also add my sturdy surplus cup and maybe even an enamel coffee cup as extra cups and cooking devices.

The other thing I am thinking I need a few more of are snake bite kits. There are all manner of snakes in these woods and my eyesight is not so hot anymore, it is easy to come upon them and step on one and tick it off.

I also watched and read how to make hogans. I like the hogan design and you can make a stout one with good saplings and cover it over, insulate with sticks, brush, grass, dirt or mud as needed, whatever size you need and do a central fire so it can vent out center of roof, and with snow country, you just make a cover for the smoke hole , that you move at will., or do a stove pipe all the way up and fire proof it around the pipe for a good foot or more diameter. If you have a tarp you can cover over with dirt, it hides the tarp but helps with water proofing needs in wetter country than the desert.

Some times it is just good to review these things.

That was an interesting read, Sass!

For poking a wick into an 'expedient' candle [like a can of Crisco] I've always thought of guiding a wick with a BBQ skewer. First wax to strengthen ...as you mentioned. Then put a bit of a knot on the end of the wick to stick the pointed end of skewer into and push it in. Skewer could be 'frayed' a bit to keep hold of the wick better. :shrug:

Added: I was thinking of bamboo skewers but a metal one, heated and handled with a hot pad, would dive a new wick right thru solid wax too....if you poked the hole first, then pushed the wick down second....???

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Mt Rider that is a great idea. LOL, not sure I have any ,actually, in my kitchen. A piece of wire hanger might work too for the same purpose of moving the wick into place.

I know I have a couple packs in my prep stuff though.

I also wonder why in heck do you even need to use candles , the wick is what does the work in the shortening .

I have decided to make some altoid tin stoves, they work with the fuel tablets or bits of wood and twigs just fine, are stable and can support a decent sized pot actually. You can put firestarters in them, remove the screw posts that support the pan , a small bic lighter or small fire striker /rod combo or small box of matches or match kit set up in straws ( yes, that video is interesting, spices, triple antibiotic, salt, all kinds of stuff can be put into straws and sealed up or made to be able to open as needed and closed back up..... in tiny lengths as needed. ( Then once your little fire kit is packed under the mesh wire grate, you close the lid, put a rubber band around it or in a little ditty bag and stick it in your purse, go bag, BOB or larger pack or bin for the car.) put in the screw posts, in the altoid tin stove, under the wire mesh, of course.

I think I am just tired tonight as I was last night when I wrote that first part. Awkward sentences galore!

Also realized that you can do your survival heaters, tuna can , cardboard, old wax routine and if you make a hobo ( can large enough to fit over tuna can or put tuna can into it) stove sleeve, you can use them in those too for a safe small cook stove, they will last about a week cooking for one person that way. So you don't even need to gather any wood for it and could use it inside I would think? With sterno and cannisters of propane so expensive, I try to look for alternatives I can make myself that will work with my environment most of the time. That save me money and can upcycle something instead of tossing it out.

Because Sass's Brain Training thread, I have been digging thru some of my emergency bags. Especially the EDC ones.

1) found my three back up AAA batteries for headlamp had gone bad! Not good if I'm feeding after dark and trying to squeeze the last bit of energy out of the current ones. :busted:

2) Am wondering if I ever quite put my Adventure Medical pocket survival pak back together after taking out key items cuz they couldn't come on the plane with me. :scratchhead:

3) dug thru pockets of coverall, down coat, jeans, etc. and disposed of old Kleenex, bits of trash, etc. Replaced new Kleenex. Shifted a spare set of gloves to a coat I keep getting outside with....it has hat in pocket but not gloves.

4) attached padded pouch to the hanging altimeter [barometer for very high altitudes] cuz it's a sensitive and expensive tool I'd like to always bring with me. Now I just have to slip it in and drop it around my neck/under my shirt.

.....I've had a productive afternoon

MtRider ....certain 'surprises' and not having things ready to move out the door if necessary ....causes problems I'd rather avoid. :thumbs:

Worked again at the Roost and we're starting to make some real progress :-) Supposed to have some dandy weather Fri-Mon so MrWE2 plans to change oil in truck on Friday, then go dancing that evening, then load up in Miss B and go visit my cousin in the lake area, then to a state park near the Roost to spend a couple of days...still able to work at the Roost :-) Rotated the last 15 gallons of gas today & will fill up the emptes tomorrow on our way out of town...gas is cheap...(for the time being) so we've successfully rotated what we had set back & treated with stabilizer. FYI...the gasoline we've rotated was treated with stabilizer and is 3 years old and is working just fine in the truck :-) Bottom line ... we bought cheap 3 years ago and we're buying cheap again !

Just de-clutter work this week, which makes things I need for preps much more accessible when needed! :shakinghead::whistling::shrug:

Bought the ingredients to make up a batch of "Master Tonic". Says it's some pretty good stuff so we're gonna try it. Recipe:

1 32oz bottle of apple cider vinegar (Braggs ACV recommended)

1/4 cup garlic

1/4 cup onions

2 of the hottest peppers you can find ...WEAR GLOVES!

1/4 cup ginger

2 tablespoons of grated horseradish

2 tablespoons of Tumeric root (chunks) (I couldn't find, so will use the powdered kind)

Blend all ingredients except apple cider vinegar, together in a bowl

Fill canning jar 2/3 full of mixture, and fill rest with apple cider vinegar

Close tightly and shake.

Keep jar(s) in a cool dry place for 2 weeks, shaking several times every day

After 14 days, strain though a strainer first, then again through cheesecloth

The tonic is now ready for use ... no need to refrigerate

Start slowly, the tonic is VERY strong and hot

Gargle a 1 tablespoon full & swallow every day

eat a slice of orange, lemon or lime to ease the burning

Increase the amount every day until you can tolerate a "shot" glass every day.

Edited by The WE2's

Didn't get any work done at the Roost, spending free hours at hospital.

yep, WE2, if it don't cure ya it will just kill ya!

Problem solved... regarding suggested tonic.

Criminy..... yea --- go ahead, I DARE YA! If you can do a half shot without tears running down your face, if you can manage to swallow it down ........

Makes me really want to see you do a selfie to prove you did it.

:icon19:

It sounds like it might make a great spicy tabasco with turmeric kick to it kind of sauce though. Honestly, I couldn't take a shot of that by itself ( even with oranges)...... honey maybe.