MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 44

Basic temperature must stay below 75 or 80 for me to be safe. Nothing in the midWest qualifies. Especially when you crank up the humidity. :knary:

MtRider :pray:

Today was a good day for groceries :-) Meats were on sale again at Sav-A-Lot so we bought quite a bit, ie... 6 cases of short cut green beans for a start, eggs for 99 cents a doz so we bought six doz :-) Then to a favorite plain people store and found lots of stuff on sale again, so we bought quite a bit...bulk cuts of pepperjack cheese and mild cheddar, a bag of applesauce cups for $3. While in line, a gentleman noticed our cart stocked to the brim and told us about a new plain people store so we headed out again, and made another lovely haul...two cases of yogurt for $1.25 a case, a case of egg whites for $1 a case :-) So...the frig and freezer here is full, the deep freeze here is full, the frig and freezer at the homestead is full and the deep freeze there at the homestead has room for more :-) Can;t really remember all we bought, but we really don't need to go shopping anyplace for quite awhile :-)

ps...four boxes of instant oats, 4 boxes of cereal (bogo), grits (bogo), wheat delli crackers (bogo), Burgers summer sausage and let's see...what else has escaped my memory? LOL

Edited by The WE2's

Please don't tell me after all of that Mr.We2 opened the fridge and stared in asking, "Do we have anything to eat. I'm hungry." :grinning-smiley-044:

How about Weed, Ca Mt. Rider? It has a 100 day growing period.....

Or Crescent City or Klamath? Much cooler because it's on the coast...but nothing like the low temps you guys experience now.

This link is Northern Ca climate summaries......

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/summary/climsmnca.html

Edited by dogmom4
Tried posting climate info but it came out screwy...

How about Weed, Ca Mt. Rider? It has a 100 day growing period.....

We drove through there, when I went to see my sister in OR. We drove into a blizzard! Nice place though, mountains and trees.

Well < Mt. Rider, I don't know then. Only place like that with mild winters is my hometown, Santa Barbara and they are on water rationing I believe by now due to severe drought and its way too freakin expensive to live there. In the county too. Besides you wouldn't like all the controls in place.

Too many storms and humid days on midatlantic , and expense and people in the east.

Washington state, coastal areas but they are very expensive now too, unless you want to buy a little island to homestead but they also have severe controls going on building codes and it would be very costly ....

This is quite a dilemma and I doubt you will have much to choose from. Maybe do some searches for avg temps in the nation? Might find something possible and affordable but its probably inundated with people.

We don't get real hot but we do have some humidity in summer and Fall and Winters are a bear for the cold and snow and icy walking and windchills so that won't work for any of you really. ( Heck I want out of here myself.) I basically need what you need but have to settle for something I can afford as long as I can cool my house in the summer and keep it reasonable in winter, without the bitter cold we have here. I can deal with about 20F in winter ok if I need to, but when it gets lower, it's very difficult and stays too icy for footing.

I can't handle much heat either or have to do stuff early and late, then do inside during hottest part of day. ( At least I am waking up earlier now, lol).

I remember driving through western Colorado , there were some dryer areas in the valleys, high desert that were actually pretty nice in temp still and it was July when I did that. Development was much less there than much of Colorado, but if you water the garden, it will grow. I have gardened in the mojave, it actually did just great. ( Don't go to Mojave desert, lol) It sucks otherwise.

This is a definite challenge for you.

Just getting up earlier in the day, between 6am and 7am more consistently is a small prep for me, mentally and so I can do stuff early in the day and keep schedules better for everyone else I must deal with. I also realize I need to take time away from all the fuss around here and go to a spot regularly to relax to manage my own self so I don't get the agitated feeling, when concerned with so many things going on these days. I have found a nice spot for that that I can walk to here and I like it and can get some sunshine and Vitamin D working and do my knitting there or cool off in the creek ( which is pretty darn cold still), lol.

Getting a light tan is a good thing, especially if you do find yourself outside suddenly, then you are not as likely to burn badly. I have always thought it stupid if you are healthy to never go out in the sun because you are afraid of skin cancer. It is likely to develop more so if you don't get a decent tan going in a mild way from the studies. Its the sunburns that end up bringing it on later, they have noted in medical circles. So gradual tanning is a good defense, and yea, it looks better than 'death warmed over paleness" to me anyway.

It is also a defense in case you do end up , in an emergency outside in full sun, later in the summer, say, and you did forget the sunblock, which also would only last so long, especially if you have to share it. It will run out.

I understand if you are really fair, or take medicines that make you sensitive to sun, or young children and babies you want good sunblock on and dress to shield. I know my lupus is sensitive , so I do mild tanning slowly over a few weeks. I can tolerate that and it never bothered my lupus. Also even though I have freckles I have gotten so I actually brown up instead of golden tan, the older I get. Weird, but its true. Yes, with freckles. They are brown anyway, not orange luckily. I had beautiful dark auburn with natural highlights when I was younger, its going brown now and silver.

It also means I can just go relax when I do this in a nice spot away from all the noise and people around here at my apartments. Helps my mood. So this is one of my preps now that the weather is improved.

Edited by sassenach

We were invited to an advertised prepper & gun show last weekend. There were only 4 booths of prepper stuff, 2 dried foods and 2 with over priced 1st aid stuff. One vendor said the gun people were complaining there were too many prepper booths. Really?!

I was very disappointed because I was looking for some specific things.

I hear you on tanning carefully, Sass. With the usual way of people....swinging wildly to one side or the other is excess in both ways. Now we have a paranoid nation with Vit D deficiency. In :frozen: areas like ours that have loooong winter, it's worse. No skin exposed to the rays for Vit D. There is definitely more MS in those areas too. Always been that correlation but I've no idea if it has any causal effect or not. :shrug: We all try to get our Vit D up here somehow. Also getting sunshine [not much but some daily] into the eye....produces er...something important for mood. Being so extremely LIGHT sensitive, I slap on a pair of B) every time I walk out the door. Had to learn to allow some sunlight [when not facing directly into it] into my eyes.

Somehow, living in HI changed how my skin reacts to sun. I'm just not burning like I used to. Only got ....I think 2 major burns while living there. One from forgetting to calculate the reflection off the water. My tan-from-birth daughter said it made her eyes water to look at my RED skin that time. Then I fell asleep once....always a bad idea. But I was quite careful and didn't do damage other than that. Up here at high altitude, I don't seem to be affected. But I often wear a loose white cotton shirt over a tank. The overshirt is soaked for evaporative cooling. So that also has been shading me while I ride or whatever up here.

MtRider ....tanning for prep! Unlike the beach babies, yes this is a good consideration. B)

Edited by Mt_Rider

Yep, good technique for cooling. Used to do stuff like that in the heat of Central California driving. Wet towel around the neck.

I have light sensitive eyes but they still wont issue photo grays for me so I need to save for a good sturdy pair when I get my next eye exam , which is in June I believe. I do have a few pair of sun glasses, just picked up some more with sturdy frames that look good but not fancy. Working on eyeglass covers large enough for them. I just can't see details as well if only wearing those non prescription sunglasses but just for walking around if I know where I am going, it does help, or I wear my cloth Cabelas ball cap over my scrip glasses. They are too small to use the temporary sunglass things I got for them. ( Rawr). Its frustrating.

Please don't tell me after all of that Mr.We2 opened the fridge and stared in asking, "Do we have anything to eat. I'm hungry." :grinning-smiley-044:

Actually, you aren't far from the truth! We looked at each other and admitted we were both pretty tuckered out...so we drug out some tortillas and fixed a pepperoni pizza for supper...which was pepperoni from our last "haul" that I'd defrosted! :laughkick:

We were invited to an advertised prepper & gun show last weekend. There were only 4 booths of prepper stuff, 2 dried foods and 2 with over priced 1st aid stuff. One vendor said the gun people were complaining there were too many prepper booths. Really?!

I was very disappointed because I was looking for some specific things.

The last expo we went to was a sad example also. Won't go to that particular town's events again. Hoping another will spring up not too far away. It's very difficult to make a decision to drive hundreds of miles to other states to an expo and find that perhaps they're having the same thing? We're of the opinion that exibitors don't want to pay booth fees, and can't "rip people off" any more with their high prices, so they don't show.

I think DH and I might consider the Pacific NW ......eventually. Lower elevation. Moderated temperatures - both hot and cold. Fantastic growing conditions for garden/orchard! :lois:

At the moment, we'll be holding here for now. There was some talk of an exodus soon [within couple months] but now, probably not. My dad is opting to do oxygen instead....which can hold off a rapid move. Give us more time. Interesting that our constant cloudy/rainy/drizzle weather has not bothered me like it usually does. A big reason ...maybe the only reason....that we hadn't considered that region before.

But God has clearly told DH and I that we should go with my folks...wherever they feel they need to be. After they pass, we might move again....or not. Up to HIM. :pray:

MtRider ..... will continue to do research....and listen for God's guidance. We'll know ...at the right time. :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Southeastern Alaska is lovely, Mt Rider! Wish I could have afforded to move there. Of course, I dislike boats and you pretty much need one to get around the islands.

Will continue to pray that the Lord directs your barque!

With all the bad bad bad economics, nationally and internationally, I have finally ordered my varmint/small game taker outter. It was a major sale price so I am squeezing it in now. I know they are trying to restrict these too, so getting it while I can still do so. Has been on my mind for at least a few years. I will scrunch to do the rest of the things I have to do this summer.

I got a pool noodle! I got a pool noodle! LOL. Some of it will be for emergency 5 gallon bucket toilet and some will be for self defense practice if I don't end up using far too much.

" Stick Work" to block punches and grabs. Ju jitsu type .

:hapydancsmil:

I also found small brass safety pins I needed for stitch markers for sock knitting and fine knitting with small needles. The commercial plastic ones, they call small , are actually way too big. Alot of knitters are making their own with beadwork crafting techniques, but safety pins are and easy use item too and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Been meaning to get those for a few months at least and I remembered today!

Couple extra small jars of peanut butter , some was for the rest of the month eating, and a bit left over I think will be a prep or handy to stick in day pack for day trips away from town for my diabetes needs.

:hi: CGA!!!!

How is the light/dark issue down that far in AK?

MtRider :pc_coffee: ....sure wish you were still on here more, my friend! :hug3:

Everything here is still pretty much on hold. Still selling off mother's larger pieces & when they're gone then we'll open the livingroom & front porch up for an estate clearance sale. Running back and forth to show the items gets tiresome, but it's better than paying an auctioneer 30-35% commmission. When we mowed at the Roost the Jerusalem Artichokes (sunchokes) are about 3" tall, the lambs quarter is doing great and should spread next year, and the winter onions are doing very good too...some still a bit wilted looking but lots of them sprang straight up and are blooming so we'll have some more next year :-) Still want to get some garlic in this fall & also some asparagus. Not planning on eating any of it "yet" :-)

Worked on a closet, putting shelves in it, at the Roost. Things seems so "slow" right now. Not getting much of anything done here, at the Roost or at the Homestead. Decisions, decisions, decisions...and they truly require wisdom from God...which He gives freely when asked :-)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.